SinglePower CPX3 Initial Impressions
May 21, 2003 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
I’ve been spending the past three days (since the NYC meet on Saturday) listening to the SinglePower CXP3 headphone amp. While that’s not an incredible amount of time to judge a component, I think I’ve spent enough time with it to believe that it’s an incredible value that anyone who is looking for an amp in the $500 range should consider.

First, some background. The CXP3 comes in a handmade copper enclosure that uses (I believe) the same circuit as its sibling, the MXP3, but it’s unregulated. What this means, sound-wise, compared to the MXP3 is that the CPX3 is a bit smoother and less detailed than the MXP3. I’m no expert on tube sound (my only experience is with the nOrh SE-9 integrated amp, driving the K-1000s), but my understanding is that the CPX3 is more “tube-like” than the MXP3. The MPX3 comes with three 6SN7EHs. While I have not heard any other tubes on the amp just yet, the experience of hearing what a change in tubes did to the sound of the MXP3 on Saturday has convinced me that I need to experiment.

While I’ve read some less-than-flattering comments on the looks of the other SinglePower amps, the Supra and the MXP3, to me these are great-looking, unique, and no-nonsense amps. The copper enclosure of the CXP3 is a thing to behold. While I’ve read that SinglePower will be changing the cosmetics of these amps based on these comments, I really hope they reconsider, because looks-wise these amps really do stand out.

Ok, to the sound. I’ve been listening to the CXP3 with the following equipment and music:

Headphones: Ety 4S, Sony 3000, Grado HP-2 (I received these yesterday, and have been using them ever since. There is only one word to describe them¯amazing).

Cables: Audioquest Corals, Alpha Core Copper

CDs: Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet (SACD); David S. Ware Quartet, Corridors & Parallels; Frank Kimbrough, Noumena; Frank Kimbrough/Joe Locke, The Willow; Scott Fields Ensemble, 96 Gestures; Richard Thompson, That Old Kit Bag (best thing he’s done in ages), Cecil Taylor Tzotzil/Mummers/Tzotzil.

One thing I’ve noticed over the past three days is how the CXP3 gets out of the way and let’s the music do the talking. The overall presentation from the amp is relaxed¯I never get the feeling that one end of the musical spectrum outshines any other (although, as I mention below, high-end extension is not its strongest suit).

Bass may not be the deepest, but what I’ve heard is clean and balanced. William Parker’s acoustic bass from Corridors & Parallels is my benchmark, and from the CXP3 I hear how well-defined and striking his playing really is. I also noticed (and for the first time, even though I’ve heard the song hundreds of times) how Bill Wyman’s bass on “Sympathy for the Devil” sits on top of the congas. In general, the CXP3 made me stand up and take notice of what was happening on the bottom end, something that I usually do not focus on.

Out of all three phones (but to best effect out of the HP-2s and the Ety 4Ss), midrange is warm and realistic. The acoustic guitars from “The Old Kit Bag” sounded so real they brought a smile to my face. Presentation is on the warm side, but overall the sound appears realistic.

Soundstage is very good, too, especially using the Sonys, although the HP-2s hold their own here, too. I was surprised at the soundstage of the Etys. I’ve always noticed that it was fairly narrow, but here it opened up more than I have ever heard before. Back to front placement, seemingly in a “T” configuration, is also very good. I feel as if I always know where instruments are in their space and the overall feeling is natural and not over pronounced.

Given the design, I expected the high end to be just a bit rolled off, and that is what I’ve been hearing over the past couple of days. It’s not excessive, nor does it feel as if it’s missing completely, but overall extension just isn’t there. However, the CXP3 seems to find a middle ground between excessive and completely recessed treble, and it does blend in well with the rest of the range.

Overall, I liked what I heard well enough at the NY meet from the CXP3 to purchase the demo unit that was at the show. And based on my listening over the past three days, I am convinced that I made a good (no, great) move. Again, if you are considering an amp in the $500 or so price range, I cannot recommend the CXP3 highly enough.

May 21, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 23
Sounds like you made a terriffic purchase. The SinglePower amps were the pleasant surprise of our Detroit meet. Had I not more than overspent my allowance for equipment recently, I would surely have taken one home as well. An excellent amp.

Pictures!! How about pictures??

May 21, 2003 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 23
Congrats, Frank. Glad you are enjoying your new aquisition(s)!

Oh, and can I have a double-machiato with my William Parker
wink.gif
? (I love the look of the SinglePowers, btw)

May 21, 2003 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 23
Here's a picture of the CXP3 next to the MXP3 (the CXP3 is the copper one on the left). I took this picture Saturday at the NY meet.

May 21, 2003 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 23
The key to understanding the Singlepower amps is to realize that they do nothing to alter the sound of the tube. What they do is to get out of the tube's way, and give it a solid platform to perform. That's common to all of the designs using Mikhail's circuit. The soft high end and and bass issues are likely the EH tube, not the amp (although the unregulated power supply may soften the sound compared to the amps bigger brothers).

I've also noticed a strong synergy between the HP-1000 and the Supra. With the right tubes, the HP-1 is performing better than I've ever heard it before. Sometimes, the tube has been surprising. I've found a couple of German 6SN7GT's almost by accident (E.T.L. and R.T.T.) that make a super output tube. I've only been able to get pairs of these, and haven't tried them as the gain tube yet.

May 21, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 23
Very nice review Frank. I didn't get a chance to listen to it at the meet (I was just about to and got called away) but if it's anything like it's larger siblings it's definitely a contender.

May 21, 2003 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The key to understanding the Singlepower amps is to realize that they do nothing to alter the sound of the tube. What they do is to get out of the tube's way, and give it a solid platform to perform. That's common to all of the designs using Mikhail's circuit. The soft high end and and bass issues are likely the EH tube, not the amp (although the unregulated power supply may soften the sound compared to the amps bigger brothers).

Thanks for clarifying that, Hirsch. Now it makes me want to experiment even more.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 23
Great impressions Frank. Makes me want to break the bank and get one of these.

Now you get to play with different tubes.
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 23
I am getting very, very tempted............. I've heard the Supra. Quite an impressive amplifier.

Enjoy your amp!!
CD44hi
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 23
FCJ-- nice review. just wanted to say I'm a big Richard Thompson fan myself, I don't have the new one yet but I like Mock Tudor best (I have about 4 of his albums plus Action Packed best of). I often use that disc to audition gear. They released Rumor and Sigh on DVD-A and I'm gonna pick that one up real soon.

Mark

May 21, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 23
Man,Mikhail is gonna skin you guys for getting the names of his amps wrong.

The Smaller copper amp is called the CPX3 .It is a custom copper chassis version of the PPX3 that uses the 6SN7 tube.Yours is the only one in existence.I am going to get Mikhail to build one for me so that I can quantify the differences between it and a standard PPX3.

The Mid-sized amp is the MPX3 and it features the 6SN7 tube as well.It is the giant-killer of the Singlepower line and I am in love with this amp.It truly deserves "Awesome Budget Component" status.Mikhail just killed the $500.00 amp market with this one.It's right near the best at any price.

I'm sure we have all heard of the Supra by now.

Mikhail is a great guy and I'm sure he does'nt care if we get the names wrong but I'm sure he does'nt mind the correction either.We gotta thank Hirsch for clueing us all in to Mikhail's amps.

Edit: I corrected the thread title.

May 21, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

Mikhail is a great guy and I'm sure he does'nt care if we get the names wrong but I'm sure he does'nt mind the correction either.We gotta thank Hirsch for clueing us all in to Mikhail's amps.

That's the one fault of the amps--the names. They just don't roll off the tongue, and are easily mistaken.

Thanks for setting me straight, though.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

[size=xx-small]Man,Mikhail is gonna skin you guys for getting the names of his amps wrong.

The Smaller copper amp is called the CPX3 .It is a custom copper chassis version of the PPX3 that uses the 6SN7 tube.Yours is the only one in existence.I am going to get Mikhail to build one for me so that I can quantify the differences between it and a standard PPX3.

The Mid-sized amp is the MPX3 and it features the 6SN7 tube as well.It is the giant-killer of the Singlepower line and I am in love with this amp.It truly deserves "Awesome Budget Component" status.Mikhail just killed the $500.00 amp market with this one.It's right near the best at any price.

I'm sure we have all heard of the Supra by now.

Mikhail is a great guy and I'm sure he does'nt care if we get the names wrong but I'm sure he does'nt mind the correction either.We gotta thank Hirsch for clueing us all in to Mikhail's amps. [/size]

LOL, you're right, I just glanced over at my documentation... MPX3. Oops...
tongue.gif

And yes, Hirsch provided my first exposure to the amp. I've very glad he did.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

The Smaller copper amp is called the CPX3 .It is a custom copper chassis version of the PPX3 that uses the 6SN7 tube.

Do you happen to know the price difference between the CPX3 and PPX3?

May 21, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Actually, I did it on purpose to make sure that you were paying attention. . . .
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back