Single Power Audio craftsmanship? What do you think? (photos)
Jul 23, 2008 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

Elephas

Headphoneus Supremus
I received these photos from Mikhail. They are photos of my Single Power Supra-XLR and ES-1 that are currently in his possession. The amps were sent to Single Power for upgrades and these photos are supposed to show some of the parts.

I realize that most of the photos are blurry or of poor quality, but they are what I received from Mikhail.

What do you think?

VCAPS4.jpg

VCAP2.jpg

VCAP.jpg

SUPRA1.jpg

S1.jpg

RESISTORS.jpg

BLACKGATEOC.jpg

BGP.jpg

BGC.jpg

ATTENUATORS2.jpg

ATTENUATORS.jpg

45STEP3.jpg

45STEP1.jpg

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 130
I know that point-to-point cabling are higher regarded than print boards.
But this looks like a mess to me. Cables and components "all over the place".

Just look at this picture:
S1.jpg

It might not affect the sound. But what if the amplifier fails and you need to find the faulty component, or even worse find someone to fix it?
Sending it back to Singlepower seems like the only way, with the then 6-12 months wait..
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 130
You should see the inside of my amp!
tongue.gif

If it works and it sounds good, that's all that is important. If you start worrying about details like neatness you'll drive yourself crazy.

That said, it would be nice if some companies followed examples like Woo Audio and actually planned out their builds and wiring well.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 130
Knowing how expensive those two amps are, I would expect nothing but the best.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

If it works and it sounds good, that's all that is important. If you start worrying about details like neatness you'll drive yourself crazy.
<snip>

I disagree, particularly if you want a piece of equipment that will last 20+ years, and is serviceable. Which something like this should. This is a mess. Who cares about the boutique components thrown in haphazardly...

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 130
It looks like the inside of a cary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no EE, but wouldn't all the wires crossing over components & other wire groups create some interference?

Nope. Bundled wires are FAR more apt to have interference than "randomly crossing" ones.

i personally find it easier to trace a circuit in a nest than one with random wires.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

That said, it would be nice if some companies followed examples like Woo Audio and actually planned out their builds and wiring well.

Companies should follow Darkvoice, they have better wiring then even Woo Audio.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 130
What a rat's nest. Far from what I would expect from specialized, boutique, expensive work.

Why do I have a distinct feeling of deja-vu?

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 130
Quote:

wouldn't all the wires crossing over components & other wire groups create some interference?

Usually a builder will try to minimize cross talk and emi with careful wiring layout. Apparently this builder does not.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 130
What a complete mess. It looks like just moving this amp is asking for a solder joint failure - unless everything is perfectly soldered, which feels unlikely based on the messy layout. I hope I'm wrong and the amp gives you years of joy, but that would make me a bit angry (but I'm an engineer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back