Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Oct 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #361 of 461
I hate to admit it but: the Touch is the TRUE king of all media (LOL - except FM)!!!

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #362 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting a cheap silicone skin off ebay and a normal screen protector to go on my touch. The BSE is really there to stop the chrome bits scratching, thats all, and I'd rather use a normal screen protector on the front.

No chrome bits - stainless steel baby
biggrin.gif
err I mean mate. lol And I really can't get over how low the noise floor is on the new touch with E530's. I mean they hiss with everything. But it's imperceptible with my new baby, err I mean dap . Friggin like austin powers with the baby stuff.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #366 of 461
Very true. I picked up some cheapo screen protectors from walmart, but after reading through this and other threads around I'm thinking about the Brando or power support protectors.

I might run by the apple store tomorrow and see if they have any cases specifically for our new toy.

One things for sure. It's the best browsing experience i've ever had on a DAP!

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #369 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true. I picked up some cheapo screen protectors from walmart, but after reading through this and other threads around I'm thinking about the Brando or power support protectors.

I might run by the apple store tomorrow and see if they have any cases specifically for our new toy.

One things for sure. It's the best browsing experience i've ever had on a DAP!

I was thinking the same thing, I didn't see any power support for the touch 2g, but I guess the screen is exactly the same size. I'm thinking about the protector not really for protection (the touch screen is very tough), but to make it less a fingerprint magnet. And I guess there is only so much you can say about the sound that hasn't been said already- IT'S GOOD!
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #370 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I guess there is only so much you can say about the sound that hasn't been said already- IT'S GOOD!
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #373 of 461
Having for many years read endless rants, negative comments and horror stories about iPods, iTunes and the Evils of Apple in general I have never had any desire to own or use any of their products or software.

My daughter recently received a 80GB Classic as a gift and she loves it (what do they know at 16) but I have never even been inclined to even give it a listen because with everything I have read I know it will sound crap compared to my D2 so why bother, as long as she keeps her iTunes on her laptop and does not pollute my PC I am happy for her.

Enter the 2nd Gen iPod Touch all sparkly and sleek and I am like a moth being drawn to a 1000 watt light bulb, I know going there will not end well but no matter how hard I try to flee it is just so overwhelmingly shiny and like a stroke victim I can't seem to control my limbs so well and I drool a little from the left side of my mouth.

Hannah keeps given me the guided tour of "The New iPod Touch", you know the one with the embedded subliminal messages that keep telling me how good I will feel if I just type my Credit Card details into those little text fields and press that little html coded button that will lighten my wallet and set me free to play endless "Monkeyball".

Oh, she is good. 32GB of new shineyness arrived 4 days ago, my new friend iTunes 8 was easily configured and integrated my 46GB of V0 mp3's seamlessly and I just dragged and dropped my selection of music onto "Terry's iPod" to load it. Converted a couple of movies quickly with "Free 3G Video Converter", installed a bucket full of apps and of course "Monkeyball". Selected and synced all my favourite podcasts, contacts and gmail without having to read any instructions. Wifi connected without any hitches and web browsing with safari is surprisingly fast.

Sound wise there is no doubt the D2 may sound better but the difference is not so great and although highly subjective for me the Touch tends to sound slightly different rather than worse which is pretty much how it was when I moved from Meizu M6 to Cowon D2. Using Sleek SA6 I find great similarity in the D2 with no effects and flat EQ and the Touch with EQ set to flat. The D2 is obviously infinitly more tweakable sound wise but I find the Touch's Acoustic EQ setting is giving me a very similar sound sig to my slightly tweaked D2 preferences. Although I have not yet tried a LOD and amp the fiiO E3 seems to works well with the combination.

Although I have only really watched 15 minutes or so video the 3.5 inch LCD is glorious and I have not noticed any audio sync issues. Most apps seem to be more novelty than useful but there are a few gems. The Remote app is very slick allowing me to control iTunes on my PC over wifi with all art and info displayed on the Touch. I had to make a 90 minute trip to Auckland Airport yesterday and was able to load maps along with 22 navigation point directions from Google Maps before we left they were spot on. My daughter accessed the airport wifi and kept herself entertained while we waited msn'ing with her friends and playing games.

Battery wise with wifi and push turned off I have managed around 25 hours with normal use which is only an hour or so less than I am getting with my 16GB+16GB D2 using 320kbps CBR mp3's and minimal jeteffects.

Value wise here in New Zealand the 32GB 2nd Gen Touch is $160 more than I recently paid for my 16GB+16GB D2 combo. IMHO the Touch is not $160 dearer but includes $160 of added features, a smoother well laid out and very slick UI which allows effortless navigation and overcomes quite a number of niggles and limitations posted in the D2 firmware wish list threads over at iaudiophile (At least that is what the voice in my head is telling me to say...., is that you Hannah????).

Touch wood but so far my journey over to the dark side has been painless and very enjoyable and although I have never been an Apple basher as such I am guilty of being conditioned and swayed by public opinion rather than personal experience. Although it's only early days and that 1000 watt bulb may still fry my wings off and also given that I have not used any other Apple products before the Touch so can't compare but I think the Anti-Apple brigade may well be running out of credible arguments to put forward.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #374 of 461
I was like that too, with ownership of various Apple products before really putting me off. However, the new touch is really good, and is an iPod that I can actually recommend to people easily now.

Hope you enjoy it.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #375 of 461
Same exact situation here, arm's length from Apple (although my 17-year-old has been through the Mini, the 4g and then the 5g video (which she still owns). I've listened to hers using my phones and the E3 and thought, "not bad."

Then, I finally succumbed and bought an iTouch 2G. Hasn't arrived from Amazon yet (paid $265 after price cut of $10 and a $25 coupon, which delayed shipping). Looking forward to it.

Oh, my daughter also got a new MacBook for college and left her iBook G4 behind. I took it over, crazy-glued the bezel back to the screen, removed all her junk, loaded on 20GB of music and iTunes8. Already have 10 Genius playlists set up. Now, I can just connect the new iTouch to the G4 and not worry about it messing up my Windows PCs.

But my experience is pretty much the same as yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having for many years read endless rants, negative comments and horror stories about iPods, iTunes and the Evils of Apple in general I have never had any desire to own or use any of their products or software.

My daughter recently received a 80GB Classic as a gift and she loves it (what do they know at 16) but I have never even been inclined to even give it a listen because with everything I have read I know it will sound crap compared to my D2 so why bother, as long as she keeps her iTunes on her laptop and does not pollute my PC I am happy for her.

Enter the 2nd Gen iPod Touch all sparkly and sleek and I am like a moth being drawn to a 1000 watt light bulb, I know going there will not end well but no matter how hard I try to flee it is just so overwhelmingly shiny and like a stroke victim I can't seem to control my limbs so well and I drool a little from the left side of my mouth.

Hannah keeps given me the guided tour of "The New iPod Touch", you know the one with the embedded subliminal messages that keep telling me how good I will feel if I just type my Credit Card details into those little text fields and press that little html coded button that will lighten my wallet and set me free to play endless "Monkeyball".

Oh, she is good. 32GB of new shineyness arrived 4 days ago, my new friend iTunes 8 was easily configured and integrated my 46GB of V0 mp3's seamlessly and I just dragged and dropped my selection of music onto "Terry's iPod" to load it. Converted a couple of movies quickly with "Free 3G Video Converter", installed a bucket full of apps and of course "Monkeyball". Selected and synced all my favourite podcasts, contacts and gmail without having to read any instructions. Wifi connected without any hitches and web browsing with safari is surprisingly fast.

Sound wise there is no doubt the D2 may sound better but the difference is not so great and although highly subjective for me the Touch tends to sound slightly different rather than worse which is pretty much how it was when I moved from Meizu M6 to Cowon D2. Using Sleek SA6 I find great similarity in the D2 with no effects and flat EQ and the Touch with EQ set to flat. The D2 is obviously infinitly more tweakable sound wise but I find the Touch's Acoustic EQ setting is giving me a very similar sound sig to my slightly tweaked D2 preferences. Although I have not yet tried a LOD and amp the fiiO E3 seems to works well with the combination.

Although I have only really watched 15 minutes or so video the 3.5 inch LCD is glorious and I have not noticed any audio sync issues. Most apps seem to be more novelty than useful but there are a few gems. The Remote app is very slick allowing me to control iTunes on my PC over wifi with all art and info displayed on the Touch. I had to make a 90 minute trip to Auckland Airport yesterday and was able to load maps along with 22 navigation point directions from Google Maps before we left they were spot on. My daughter accessed the airport wifi and kept herself entertained while we waited msn'ing with her friends and playing games.

Battery wise with wifi and push turned off I have managed around 25 hours with normal use which is only an hour or so less than I am getting with my 16GB+16GB D2 using 320kbps CBR mp3's and minimal jeteffects.

Value wise here in New Zealand the 32GB 2nd Gen Touch is $160 more than I recently paid for my 16GB+16GB D2 combo. IMHO the Touch is not $160 dearer but includes $160 of added features, a smoother well laid out and very slick UI which allows effortless navigation and overcomes quite a number of niggles and limitations posted in the D2 firmware wish list threads over at iaudiophile (At least that is what the voice in my head is telling me to say...., is that you Hannah????).

Touch wood but so far my journey over to the dark side has been painless and very enjoyable and although I have never been an Apple basher as such I am guilty of being conditioned and swayed by public opinion rather than personal experience. Although it's only early days and that 1000 watt bulb may still fry my wings off and also given that I have not used any other Apple products before the Touch so can't compare but I think the Anti-Apple brigade may well be running out of credible arguments to put forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back