Simple KSC75 to Headband Mod, Easy As Pie (Pics, 56k, maybe..)
Nov 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #196 of 267
I have found another UK e-shop that sells cheap headphones with those tiny metallic headbands. There is at least one in that list (http://www.armcoshop.com/computing-multimedia/audio/audio-headphones.html) that has to be compatible with the KSC-75... of course it is the protruding style headband of the one on Part Express but with a touch or orange that looks similar to these 
from the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/161241/headband-mod-for-ksc-75

I will be buying them for £2.64 plus £4.20 shipping (~8-9 CAD), that's far more reasonable than what PartExpress is asking, and I'm having it shipped from another continent... great

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #198 of 267
I think I've got a pair of these "100.035 QTX budget headphones" that devouringone3 is talking about. I'm sorry to inform they don't fit Koss KSC 75's. The socket in 75's is too small to stay attached with the headband. I'll probably try to add some glue or something to make it work since the headband looks good aesthetically with the 75.

Here's a couple photos. Notice the difference in the socket between the KSC 75 and the stock earpiece.

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #200 of 267
What's the item number for the headphones you use as donors? All I see on the site seem to be out of stock.

I did order the matte ones, and realized that they may not work with my KSC75, paid $8.00 usd for them shipped from UK.
Quote:
Well I bought it from that link I gave and it does fit my KSC75 :wink:

The L and R buttons on mine are shiny and yours matte, we probably have a different budget headphone, with similar plastic morphology.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #201 of 267
As one of the most ardent supporters of the stock 75. I tried the headband mod and it pretty much ruined the qualities and balance of the stock phone for me. It messed up the low end and pretty much took away the air and breath the stock phone has. Both are due to the increased pressure the band puts on the drivers and puts them closer to the ear. Once I bent the headband so it was loose, like the stock clip on feels, the sound signature I love came back, but ultimately I even found the stock clip on setup more comfortable and went back to them. The only mod these phones need is a decent copper recable imo.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #202 of 267
I did a headband mod on some KSC75's with the parts express headband, and I really liked it. It wasn't clampy at all. Maybe a smaller soundstage, but it was way better than those annoying clips.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #203 of 267
I did this mod too but using a different headband, I ordered the SENTRY MINI STEREO HEADPHONES MODEL H0415 and removed the drivers which by the way sounded horrible. Had to heat up the little clip on the headband to close it a little (Using my wife's hair drier) and once slightly closed the KSC75's drivers snapped in the band perfectly.

Here's some pictures: http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/cjmarti/Koss%20KSC75%20mods/

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #205 of 267
Here are mine, transplanted onto a chewed up and weathered PortaPro headband, with Kramer mod and quarter mod.

Honest to god, with those modifications, these sound better than all sub-$300 headphones I've ever owned or auditioned.

The headband clamp allows better bass, clearer and more forward mids (KSC75 mids are to die for, really), and more tamed treble; quarter mod and kramer mod both allows for better treble extension and mids transparency (less ringing).

The resulting sound is oh so smooth and liquid while maintaining a huge amount of detail, especially for such a small transducer. Beats entry/mid-cost Grados any day.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #206 of 267
Quote:
I did a headband mod on some KSC75's with the parts express headband, and I really liked it. It wasn't clampy at all. Maybe a smaller soundstage, but it was way better than those annoying clips.

I now use a parts express headband too, it's better than the one in my hair-less picture above. Yes it messes up with the stock sound of the clips (makes them warmer?), but I couldn't get accustomed to their comfort.

(music playing, having a good time)

(music off)

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #207 of 267
Quote:
 (music playing, OW IT HURTS SO BAD !!!!!)

(music off, that feels better)

FIFY

(j/k but your facial expression does look like it hurts you to listen)

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #208 of 267
Just bought the Parts Express headphone for just under $7 on Amazon. A bit high for what you get, if you ask me. But I really like the sound of the KSC75s, I just need to be able to wear them for more than 20 minutes.

Edit: Just did the Kramer mod too. Almost borked the driver, but all is well. Heard some clicking in the left ear, took it back apart, found some glue that got stuck to the driver. Used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to get it off. Found a straggling wire of plastic from the drilling as well, so that might have been causing it as well. Accidentally dented the driver a little, but after putting it back together it sounds fantastic! I'm running them through my Lyr right now with a random 1/4" adapter I had laying around...... lol. Sounds fantastic though! For $15 headphones, these are amazing. The bass doesn't blow my mind, obviously, but these manage to capture all the frequencies in a very refined balance. And like I said... for $15, you can't ask for more. Fantastic.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #210 of 267
Quote:
Just bought the Parts Express headphone for just under $7 on Amazon. A bit high for what you get, if you ask me. But I really like the sound of the KSC75s, I just need to be able to wear them for more than 20 minutes.

Edit: Just did the Kramer mod too. Almost borked the driver, but all is well. Heard some clicking in the left ear, took it back apart, found some glue that got stuck to the driver. Used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to get it off. Found a straggling wire of plastic from the drilling as well, so that might have been causing it as well. Accidentally dented the driver a little, but after putting it back together it sounds fantastic! I'm running them through my Lyr right now with a random 1/4" adapter I had laying around...... lol. Sounds fantastic though! For $15 headphones, these are amazing. The bass doesn't blow my mind, obviously, but these manage to capture all the frequencies in a very refined balance. And like I said... for $15, you can't ask for more. Fantastic.

I ended up getting parts express headband as well, the comfort level is extraordinary with it + YUIN earpads. The mids with these are just fantastically balanced when kramer modded. Treble is nice though of course lacking a bit of resolution compared to something like HE400, bass is nice and punchy.

By the way, the correct way to do the kramer mod is to detach the faceplates off from the rest of the headphone body first, before drilling holes in the plates. There is no risk of damaging the drivers that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back