Silver wire IC parts and construction (group buy follow-up)
Oct 14, 2004 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BradJudy

500+ Head-Fier
I figured I would start a thread about building ICs with the silver wire from the group buy. A place to talk about choices for connectors, wire configurations and other stuff.

I haven't received mine yet, but I'm thinking of making a pair using a three wire basic braid (two for return, one for signal is my initial thought).

I'm debating what connectors to use. I'm considering some connectors from HomeGrownAudio (asthetically very nice), Eichmann bullets (probably the copper version for $$$ reasons), Neutrik, Cardas, or ???. And no, I'm not going to spend $200 on a set of WBT NextGen Platinum connectors.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 8
hrmm, how about some 100% unobtanium connectors
wink.gif

seriously why spend so much money on a connector? if you absolutely MUST have the best connection take out the (probably) crappy connector from whatever your coming from and solder the silver wire directly to the PCB
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 8
I think I left a good range of price options open for discussion. Those brands range from $3-20/pair.

I am actually considering having one of the inputs on the PPA I'm building be a 0.5-1m pair of wires going straight to the switch, but they still need a connector on the other end (I am NOT permanently attaching my PPA to a CD player/DAC).
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
I figured I would start a thread about building ICs with the silver wire from the group buy. A place to talk about choices for connectors, wire configurations and other stuff.

I haven't received mine yet, but I'm thinking of making a pair using a three wire basic braid (two for return, one for signal is my initial thought).

I'm debating what connectors to use. I'm considering some connectors from HomeGrownAudio (asthetically very nice), Eichmann bullets (probably the copper version for $$$ reasons), Neutrik, Cardas, or ???. And no, I'm not going to spend $200 on a set of WBT NextGen Platinum connectors.
smily_headphones1.gif

I kind of like these at around $20 a pair. There's not a whole lot of point in one signal wire, two return. You'd probably be best off with twisted pairs of signal/return or a litz braid of four conductors.

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 8
Once I get my 50ft. most will be going on the inside of the CD player, DAC, and Dynahi I'm building. Not sure how much of the wire those things are going to take, but it's probably going to be a good percentage of it.

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 8
I think that 45ft might just cover my Dynalo and a set of interconnects. If i have enough left i'll sell it to a friend for use in his.
I assume i'll only need 1 wire per thingy. I.e. 2 per interconenct (1 gnd 1 sig). 3 per amp connection (1 gnd 2 sig)

Can't wait for it. Connector wise i was also thinking bullets or WBT plugs.

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm probably going to use some NC3MX-HD for my headphone cable reterminations.
smily_headphones1.gif

haven't decided what I'll do for interconnect terminations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back