Shure SRH440 Unboxed & quick review - added pics!
Aug 9, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm talking about the body of the plug, rather than the plug itself, which is 1/8 version suitable for most portable players. The body of the plug itself, at least on the 840's, are at least inch and a half long, almost 1cm in thickness and sticks out, and looks like it could cause stress to some of the weaker designed jacks (like the iPhones) if you bend/curve the wires.

Griffin makes an iPhone headphone adapter cable. It has been discontinued but still available at Amazon and other sites.

There are other brands of very similar iPhone adapters as well. All designed to make regular headphone plugs work with the tiny recessed plug used on the iPhone.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #32 of 65
How are the pads? Are they soft like the denon 1k or more firm like the HD280? To me they look pretty firm

Nice video btw.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #33 of 65
Some 840 pics by flickr user Cankin
37724327593c98dddc65b.jpg

37733951949d763819b9b.jpg

Plugs
3459540087b8d4d43b76b.jpg

Both denon have a slightly softer pads then the shures.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Griffin makes an iPhone headphone adapter cable. It has been discontinued but still available at Amazon and other sites.

There are other brands of very similar iPhone adapters as well. All designed to make regular headphone plugs work with the tiny recessed plug used on the iPhone.

Oh yeah, I'm all aware of how they're needed for the original iPhone. But as you can see on my sig, my iPhone is the 3G and the jack sits flush. I was talking about the fragileness of the jack itself... it's not the most solidly made and the plastic around it is known to crack.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #36 of 65
Yes, but I would probably still find that bit slightly too chunky and too much of a nuisance to work around in my pockets.

I guess I just like to go really minimal when it comes to using a headphone portably (part of the reason why I've also recently dropped the portable amp component of it).
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was talking about the fragileness of the jack itself... it's not the most solidly made and the plastic around it is known to crack.

The strain relief part of the jack? Lots of headphone cables have that problem. Fortunately Shure made the cable easily removable so it will be a quick fix with a replacement cable. Maybe Shure is planning on making lots of money by selling replacement cables for when the cable cracks at the strain relief.

In a studio type setting the coiled cable prevents the cable from getting pulled taught and putting strain on the strain relief and headphone jack. In a portable where the abuse comes from the portable getting jammed in tight spaces while the headphones are plugged in, the abuse on the strain relief is different and maybe Shure doesn't have the best design for that situation.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #38 of 65
some questions

-are they comfortable, I've not used the denons and someone said here they are slightly less comfy. But they are still very comfortable?
-They don't need an amp? Has anyone tested them with an amp and an mp3 player? If so rate the difference between using an amp and not.
-Is there absolutely no alternative cord I can purchase elsewhere that will fit the can? As long as it plugs into the can the same way it would any other normal plug would fit into a source, I'm happy. ( as in it wont fall out and is secured just like any other headphone into an mp3 player or source would be ) Screwing it on and locking it is not important, again so long as it doesnt fall out and is still connected firmly.
-anyone get to test the 440 vs the 840? Worth the upgrade?

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #39 of 65
1. yes still very comfortable, the d2k are a little more comfy.
2. yes they do, but im not using one right now..
3. maybe, someone? i never seen a cable with a 3.5mm and a smaller 1.5mm? size jack cable so i dont know..

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #40 of 65
Well, I was thinking. I've seen adapters that might fit the can, I mean, I'm sure they make them. I was thinking about taking whatever adapter that plugs into the headphone can itself, and running a normal mini to mini cable through to my amp or mp3 player. Isn't that a 6.5mm? that plugs into the can itself, and the other end is a 3.5mm. If so, I should be able to do it, I don't see why not. It wont screw and lock in but it should connect just like any other headphone plugs into anything else. Either way that 10ft cabled cord has got to go :p

shouldnt something like this combo work?
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-2106...9806297&sr=8-1
http://www.sfplanet.com/product/A1505?META=amz-A1505

the adapter plugs into the cans and the 3.5 to 3.5 runs through the adapter to my source? OH PLZ i hope it would work lol....

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #44 of 65
Thanks for the information! Wish there was a Shure SRH 840 & Sony MDR V6 Comparison though
frown.gif
Still deciding between these two. Think it'd be comfortable for a spectacled user? Also what's the comfort level after several hours? Are the pads cheap or are they good quality and comfortable?

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #45 of 65
The pads hurt my ears and make me sweat after about 15 minutes. They are not as comfy as some of the sonys or senns. However, the 440 and the 840 are vastly superior to the ATHes7 and yes, even the ews9. For the Price, like 75-100$US, I would avoid the 440 for mp3 player usage and go get a Sennheiser 485. 440s are inferior in every single way except sexyness and bass...the 440 and 840 line have incredibly powerful bass...like...wow thats painful at times bass lol.

Good to have in a studio if you can mod the earpads, not really recommended for mp3 player usage at all. Better deals in open cans out there. Still, the 440 and 840 are one of the best closed backs ever made. Excellent cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back