Shure SRH440 Unboxed & quick review - added pics!
Aug 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 65
I mean the way they look, they look like a MDR-V6 copy or something. I wonder if these Shure's sound like a bigger one of their IEM's. I will have to find a place to demo them.

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #21 of 65
kinda look like a design rip off of the dre beats...regardless, I might get these but I've 1 question about the detachable cable. Is the input into the can a mini, or some other larger port? Can I just buy any old mini to mini cable and use that? 10 ft cord is nuts, Why make them so portable with a 10 foot cord, that seems really stupid to me. I will likely buy these if I can sub a shorter cord. They seem to be everything I've ever wanted.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #22 of 65
No it really doesnt look anything like the beats.
these have a higher build quality then the beats.

The cable is a mini with a screw that locks on. i dont know if you can use other mini cables, you might be able to but it wont lock.
mini as in 3.5mm no, its smaller. he cord isnt long for portable use, because of the coil.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 65
It's not so much the long/coiled cable, but the oversized headphone jack that makes it cumbersome to use it with a portable source (well, on the 840's anyway... I'm assuming 440s are the same way).

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 65
There must be some adapter for it....I really don't want to mod it just to cut its length down by half. But the 840s are easily the sexiest pair of cans ive seen in a long time...saying they dont resemble the beats is just foolish, they do. Very much so.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not so much the long/coiled cable, but the oversized headphone jack that makes it cumbersome to use it with a portable source (well, on the 840's anyway... I'm assuming 440s are the same way).

what oversized headphone jack? these are perfect for portables, unlike the d2k's jack..

they are far from it.

monster-beats-by-dre-468.jpg

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #26 of 65
I'm talking about the body of the plug, rather than the plug itself, which is 1/8 version suitable for most portable players. The body of the plug itself, at least on the 840's, are at least inch and a half long, almost 1cm in thickness and sticks out, and looks like it could cause stress to some of the weaker designed jacks (like the iPhones) if you bend/curve the wires.

Again, this is just from the experience with the 840's, maybe the jack on the 440's are different, I wouldn't know since I've never seen it.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm talking about the body of the plug, rather than the plug itself, which is 1/8 version suitable for most portable players. The body of the plug itself, at least on the 840's, are at least inch and a half long, almost 1cm in thickness and sticks out, and looks like it could cause stress to some of the weaker designed jacks (like the iPhones) if you bend/curve the wires.

Again, this is just from the experience with the 840's, maybe the jack on the 440's are different, I wouldn't know since I've never seen it.

In your opinion are the 840s worth 200 bucks? If so, I'm going to buy them right now. They are literally everything I've ever wanted. Over the ear, sexy as hell, great bass and sound quality so i hear, folding, apparently don't need an amp. The downside is that damn cord. If they sound better than the Es7s I'll buy them ( obviously they do ) I was so happy with the sound off the es7s but they hurt my ears something fierce. I am undecided as it stands. 440 vs 840. I have to dig more and maybe even call Shure and ask them what I can do with the cord...maybe they might know a brand that has a shorter cord that will fit the can and a basic 3.5mm mp3 player. If not, it still seems very worth it.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your opinion are the 840s worth 200 bucks? If so, I'm going to buy them right now. They are literally everything I've ever wanted. Over the ear, sexy as hell, great bass and sound quality so i hear, folding, apparently don't need an amp. The downside is that damn cord. If they sound better than the Es7s I'll buy them ( obviously they do ) I was so happy with the sound off the es7s but they hurt my ears something fierce. I am undecided as it stands. 440 vs 840. I have to dig more and maybe even call Shure and ask them what I can do with the cord...maybe they might know a brand that has a shorter cord that will fit the can and a basic 3.5mm mp3 player. If not, it still seems very worth it.

I feel that 840s are bargain at 200 bucks, and even more so at the street price that they're going for right now which is in the 130-150 range. Thing is though, even when taking the cord out of the equation, I feel that they're not exactly all that portable. They're heavy enough that you can feel the weight of it on your head and sits very wide (unlike my HD238's for example) and is not portable in the truest sense, especially when you compare it to the likes of ES7. Of course, if you dont mind the extra heaviness and chunkiness they do have great sound and great isolation... so it all depends on how much of that you can deal with.

Shure did say they're looking into releasing a more portable cable for it leading up to the release of the headphones... with all the demand of it I've heard here so far I'm pretty sure they'll release it eventually... it's just a matter of when.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #29 of 65
it will not fit the 1g iphone, but you can get a belkin short cable the fits all mp3 players.
like this
iphoneadaptersmart.jpg

im using this griffin so i could use a white noise iphone app to burn them in while i use my other iphone..
griffin-adapter-smartshare.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back