Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jun 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,471 of 2,282
Tyll has said himself he believes in break-in and cable differences. End of story. Lets get back on topic.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,472 of 2,282
The post above me, I agree with, back on topic. Now, I'm awaiting the day that Colorware gets ahold of the SRH-1840.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,473 of 2,282
Quote:

Yet Tyll seems to infer that a significant change occurred, in this Stereophile review http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/806akg

He seemed to indicate that he "hadn't heard half of what the K701 could do" until after 100 hours of usage and advised Wes of same.

So I'm kinda confused here..

I was referring to the data from the inconclusive test in mid 2011: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/break-part-deux

With my own K701s, I personally heard no audible difference after 400 hours of burn-in.

Anyone who has changed the surround material of a woofer knows that it can change the quality and quantity of the bass.
A reduction in distortion is exactly what "smoother treble" would refer to.
"Doubting that it would be audible" is simply inverse bias.

LOL, we are not talking about changing surround materials! Actually for this study, the distortion increased for the last 30 hours. (I was mistaken about the distortion consistently going down over time.)

Sorry, back on topic now.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #1,474 of 2,282
So when is Purrin getting his hands on these?
wink_face.gif

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,475 of 2,282
Quote:
Tyll has said himself he believes in break-in and cable differences. End of story. Lets get back on topic.

I'm all for not talking about this stuff, because it's not that interesting, but FWIW we weren't talking about whether Tyll believes in break-in, but whether he demonstrated a significant difference in his measurements.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #1,476 of 2,282
Quote:

It seems the labkable offerings are somewhere in Hong Kong? Their website isn't in English. The recable looks nice though.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #1,478 of 2,282
Quote:
Sharose,

Anyone in the states that you know of re cables these?

I haven't asked around. But from what I've seen, none of the usual cablers have the 1840 on their websites yet.

Reason I was interested in labkable was because they managed to source the connectors somehow. If they can do it, then the locals should be able to as well.

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,480 of 2,282
Quote:
Does the 1840 has four wires going down to the jack? Thinking of getting  a pair but I want to use those balanced 
rolleyes.gif

prod_img_srh1840_amp_alt.jpg

So the two leads are actually separate all the way to the jack, but they are connected by rubber most of the way.  Each driver has an electrical connector that is different from what is used by other headphone makers.  The headband has no electrical wires whatsoever, and since the two drivers are totally separate, you can use whatever configuration you like - as long as you find the same connectors used by Shure to connect the wires to the drivers.

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #1,481 of 2,282
Anyone who has changed the surround material of a woofer knows that it can change the quality and quantity of the bass.

LOL, we are not talking about changing surround materials!

Uh, you said "I guess this could be explained by the diaphragm surround breaking in. I doubt it would audible though; nor would it corroborate the old wive's tale of the K701 having "more bass" ... " By softening the materials through use, it affects the bass response.  A newer stiffer surround does not allow the diaphragm to move as much as a looser, softer surround.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #1,482 of 2,282
Quote:
prod_img_srh1840_amp_alt.jpg

So the two leads are actually separate all the way to the jack, but they are connected by rubber most of the way.  Each driver has an electrical connector that is different from what is used by other headphone makers.  The headband has no electrical wires whatsoever, and since the two drivers are totally separate, you can use whatever configuration you like - as long as you find the same connectors used by Shure to connect the wires to the drivers.

1.5m USD $202

2m USD $228

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,483 of 2,282
Quote:
So when is Purrin getting his hands on these?
wink_face.gif

I guess that's a request? (I have put these on low priority since no one asked me about them.) I expect to be getting my hands them in in August. Or maybe I'll ask Muppet to lend hers to me. I have a 6SL7 tube I need to send her. But right now, I have a little backlog of 4-5 headphones.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,485 of 2,282
Quote:
can anyone point me in the direction of some SRH1840, HE-500 comparisons?

Go to:

http://www.headfonia.com/open-back-shures-srh1440-and-srh1840/

The HE-500 comparison is on Page 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back