Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jun 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #1,487 of 2,282
I do not find the mids thin at all and did feel that way about 701's so think you safe. I am about ready to ship the 1840's back to their owner after a lengthy review and have to say they really grew on me. I still prefer the 1440 ever so slightly but the margin is razor thin even though the 1440 is more in my wheelhouse. The 1840 is just so well built the perfect combination of simplicity and efficiency.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,489 of 2,282
Quote:
I need more answers to my question, because I will buy either that Shure or The HE500 based on your opinions.

From memory, although there was some warmth, it didn't stop the 1840 still being on the analytical side, with a top led balance. Don't forget that dweaver didn't start to fully enjoy his 1840's until paired with a warmish tube amp.  YMMV, though.

The HE500 is warmer and has more bass emphasis while still having a decent amount of air and 'out of head' stage (IME).

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,490 of 2,282
Quote:
I need more answers to my question, because I will buy either that Shure or The HE500 based on your opinions.

I posted my thoughts on the two previously in the thread. The search feature's your friend.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,491 of 2,282
I have not read every post on this thread, so forgive me if i am covering ground that has already been tread.

Tonight i got a wild hair and decided to pad roll the srh1840.
This is not something i do a lot, mainly because i usually find there are as many deleterious effects as there are benefits.

But, i decided to put the 840 pleather pads on the 1840 for kicks.
It should be noted that in addition to the obvious difference in material - velour vs pleather - there is also a difference in acoustic screening. The 840 pads have two layers - an open cell foam, and some sort of fabric. The 1840 only has the foam, no fabric.

The difference was pretty interesting. I am not prone to hyperbole, so i will not say a bunch of crazy stuff on the first night of the experiment.

But, initial impressions is that it alters the frequency response of the 1840 to my liking. Making it more like the 840. Warmer, softer in the highs, and with a slight recess in the 6khz region that makes the 840 so listenable.

The soundstage width reduces just a bit, and the pinpoint imaging and focus take a slight hit, but the sound is quite pleasant, making that seem like a fair tradeoff.

The nice thing i am finding so far is that it makes the 1840 sound like a "more capable" 840. Which, i don't know about you folks, but sounds like a great headphone to me.

Cheers and happy listening!
The wuss

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,492 of 2,282
Quote:

That is like saying " I will buy either Chocolate or Vanilla based on your opinions". :D

I have not heard the HE500, but everything I have read indicates that the two headphones are very different styles of sound presentation, and which one you prefer is simply your taste in sound.

If you can try them in a store, or get them from somewhere that accepts returns after trial, then that would be ideal.

By the way, from what I have read, if you are going to be using them for long periods of time frequently, the Shure might be more practical, as the HE500 is supposedly heavier and less comfortable.

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,494 of 2,282
Quote:
Probably the time, when I get my hands on the SRH1840s is next week, as I ordered one. Hope I will like the sound of these.
I liked the HD600s, so according to the opinions out there it should be fine.

Assuming a competent setup behind them, I think you'll be pleased coming from the HD600s.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,496 of 2,282
Quote:
No, I'm coming from a pair of DT880s, which I didn't like at all, and sold it one month ago. It was far too treble happy for my with recessed, thin mids.
But I auditioned the HD600s, and I liked it very much.

I've been reading your posts here and there. You should also consider auditioning the HE500 and the HE400 (does a few things better than the HE500). You will get nice warm mids with either one of them.

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,497 of 2,282
Thanks for the suggestion, purrin. I've read quite a lot of good thing about the HE500s, but according to some, its bass bump distorts up the whole frequency range.
And I'm am a bit afraid of its heaviness. And it can be driven by only monster amps, what wouldn't be a problem on its own, but probably I will buy an another headphone, which will be easy to drive, and if I plug for example an RS1i, or AD2000 into a Lyr, it will not sound good, because as I have read, low impedance high sensivity phones need something with low gain (Headamp GS1, for instance)

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,498 of 2,282
HE-500 can be driven just fine without monster amps.  That's a common misconception.  It gets to listenining levels about 80-100% out of my zune so obviously it does not need much? I'd say any aftermarket amp would be sufficient to start.  No need to fuss over it so much as many people seem to do.  They supposedly can utilize more power.  It's very hard for me to find reliable information on that subject though.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,499 of 2,282
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, purrin. I've read quite a lot of good thing about the HE500s, but according to some, its bass bump distorts up the whole frequency range.
And I'm am a bit afraid of its heaviness. And it can be driven by only monster amps, what wouldn't be a problem on its own, but probably I will buy an another headphone, which will be easy to drive, and if I plug for example an RS1i, or AD2000 into a Lyr, it will not sound good, because as I have read, low impedance high sensivity phones need something with low gain (Headamp GS1, for instance)

Yes, the HD500 bass can be a little uncontrolled on most amps. The HE400 (at least the one that I heard) had much better bass control than the HE500, but it had a slight bump in the midrange that brought out the vocals (a coloration that I personally don't necessarily find harmful). You can always drive the HE500s from an Objective2 amp, which is not a bad combination (the amp has effectively zero output impedance and good power delivery with low distortion.) Don't discount the HE400 because of its lower price.

BTW, I would probably take the RS1 or AD2000 on the Lyr vs. the GS1 (although the GS1 is more resolving.) Those two headphones sound too lean on the GS-1 to me. I personally like a lot of the low impedance high sensitivity headphones on my tube amp (highish output Z) vs. solid-state. You just have to hear things for yourself.

If you can't hear them in person, you can order two or three headphones (HE400, HE500, SRH1840) from HeadRoom and return the two that you don't like.

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,500 of 2,282
(Un)fortunately I have already ordered a pair of SRH1840s on the day before yesterday, but probably you have seen that post as well, just didn't pay attention to it.
I will share you some of my impressions, when they arrive.
Maybe I will write my first review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back