Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Aug 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,951 of 2,282
It's been about a week since I got the SRH1840. I can't get over how comfortable it is. It's still not 100% comfortable for me especially since I wear it the entire day but just moving the ear cups around slightly from time to time is enough to relieve some minor discomfort. At first I was really conscious about using it in the office. The first 2 days, I find my self periodically taking the headphones off while music is still playing to make sure sound leak is not too loud for anyone in the office. Once I got to know the headphones though, with my normal volume level, the other person has to be 2 to 3 feet away from my head to even begin hearing the song. And that's definitely already inside my comfort bubble. I did some tests with it at home with my girlfriend to get a better sense of the noise leak, so I'm not so worried about it at the office anymore.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,952 of 2,282
Quote:

BTW, I find the biggest issue with the SRH-1840 is that the rigid metal yoke that seems to give it such pinpoint imaging, also is too rigid to conform to the listeners head.   So, it might not fit some people correctly - which might be the origin of some of the negative comments earlier in the thread.  Even when it does fit, it benefits significantly from experimentation - try the cups higher and lower and forward and backward on the ear...

YES YES! I have taken them apart, reversed the cups, added padding in the cups to equalize the pressure between the front and read parts of the padding. The design it rugged, but inflexible (literally.) However, (and I have mentioned all this before) the two thin bands (AKA, headband) digs into my head, necessitating modifications. The band issue probably wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have to adjust it all the way out to fit my head; otherwise I could push them up off my head to alleviate the pressure. Fact is, I use these way more than my other headphones, because, especially with the mods, they are rugged, comfortable, and sound good enough for general listening

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,954 of 2,282
Sons of b----hes!
mad.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,956 of 2,282

confused.gif
  Did you just recently buy a new pair or something?

It takes the value down for those of us who paid more for them (existing owners)

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,957 of 2,282
I didn't just bought mine recently but now this affects how much I can get back as resale..sigh...now I have to consider selling my HE-500 instead, HiFiMan better not drop its prices too

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,958 of 2,282
  I didn't just bought mine recently but now this affects how much I can get back as resale..sigh...now I have to consider selling my HE-500 instead, HiFiMan better not drop its prices too

The HE-500 was dropped $200 from its original price.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #1,959 of 2,282
Wow, $500 sounds reasonable. Its now on my radar
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,960 of 2,282
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073A4FM4

Looks like Shure finally dropped the price to $500, where they should be. I think they're pretty competitive at the price.

About time. I still find it too similar to the Senns HD600... (i.e. They should go even lower!)

Sons of b----hes! :mad:

Lol!

It takes the value down for those of us who paid more for them (existing owners)

Actually you could have gotten them at $575 or so from earphonesolutions even when they were released since they always have a 15 to 25% code usually floating around... So... An ok price but could be better...

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,961 of 2,282
I picked mine up lower than that - but it's the extra freight etc "down under" that's the killer.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,963 of 2,282
Oct 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,964 of 2,282

confused.gif
  Did you just recently buy a new pair or something?

Yeah, in August....and what's worse, I had to pay the Canadian rate because Shures can't be shipped outside Canada into Canada. But at $500, I could find a middle-man to get the job done

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,965 of 2,282

You are a pioneer. Without folks like you, we would never learn about Shure 1840s because they'd never make it to market.

For me the trouble is I couldn't find them for $300 used (like the SD650s which I did buy at that price). Now they will compete nicely with the Sennheiser and maybe they'll both come down.

Mine were $499 (not $500) and with free shipping and no sales tax by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back