Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Aug 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #1,051 of 3,855
So it could be the same driver, but the "housing" that leads to a different sound.  After all, everything matters, in the final sound.  I  don't see why the left and right would be "different acoustically".

www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/id/167922

If you click on the link you'll see that the left cup has that large chip the right cup doesn't. It takes up a significant portion of the cup and would definitely effect acoustics. So the left and right cups are not the same.

As I stated before, the cups of the 940 and 840 are very similar.

Also, I've mentioned that I believe the major sound difference between the 940 and 840 is the bass. I think it effects the entire balance and sound signature. The internal construction of the two headphones are very similar. So, I'm guessing the drivers are tuned differently.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #1,052 of 3,855
I still don't get why everyone is getting into "technicalities" over the cans... either way most of all come to the same conclusion: bass-shy, treble-friendly but enjoyable...

*Listening to Deadmau5 - I Remember (Vocal Mix) and Bye Friend from album "It Sounds Like"*

(and yes, sound (including Bass!) seems OK to me on these tracks... :p)

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #1,053 of 3,855
I find that the srh940 improves with time. Either burning or placebo, but I  like them now more than from the begin (and without any eq, or dsp  effect) .  The stuff I  enjoyed the most for the moment on them : listening to Rammstein (album reise reise)  !  I  compared with the hd595, and I  much prefer the srh940 for this kind of music.

However I  was playing  an old game, tomb raider anniversary, with some relaxing music on the background, and I  got enough, I  switched back to the hd595. I  thought , what a relief ! Yep the srh940 can be a bit fatiguing, and when you switch to the smooth sound of  hd595, it's a night & day change.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #1,054 of 3,855
Bumping!

So, with quite a few owners and nothing new to report, are people still enjoying them fully? Have they found a place for anyone in everyday use, or fallen back as a back-up can? Despite being a bit, dare I say "bright", do they deliver in a musical and holistic fashion? 

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #1,056 of 3,855

Quote:
Bumping!

So, with quite a few owners and nothing new to report, are people still enjoying them fully? Have they found a place for anyone in everyday use, or fallen back as a back-up can? Despite being a bit, dare I say "bright", do they deliver in a musical and holistic fashion? 

Still my everyday can.
Listen to it at least 5/6 hours of my 8-10 hour workday.
My JDSLabs Cmoy just arrived so I'll be doing more testing and comparisons but from these early stages,
I believe I'm going to love this combination!!!

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,058 of 3,855
Now there are five reviews posted, and the overall audio quality rating is 5/5.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-940/reviews/

The krooboo review conclusion: "Incredibly good headphones - just not for me.".
As usual , it's the bass that makes all the difference for some user.

Shure should know that more bass, sells better than more treble. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #1,059 of 3,855
What's funny is that everyone seemed to complain about the SRH-840's "lack of bass" too.
I never understand that one...

Seriously, why do people bother with studio monitors if they want tons of bass? I guess these days anything can be labeled a studio monitor...
Unlike most, Shure and KRK make studio monitors that actually SOUND like studio monitors..amazing. More companies should try this.

I'm glad Shure didn't try to please everyone..

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,061 of 3,855

Quote:
define "tons of bass".  I think many of the "studio monitors" have too little bass and too much upper mids/treble to be considered accurate. 

about this much:
[---------------------------------------------->>

Ok, seriously though, my whole point is that often too many headphones will be labeled as Studio Monitors and are actually V-shaped or just have too much bass or too much treble.
The ones that come to mind are the M50, V6 or even the HD-668B (last two don't have "tons"). To me, the M50 has tons of bass, there I said it, but I had the older pair. I ever heard people label the D2000 as a studio monitor. Huh?!

It is true that many have too forward of mids, but I guess it all comes down to preferences. Seriously, is there any completely flat studio monitor they still sell new? I don't even think the DT-48 falls into this category.
The K601 is on paper, but not quite to my ears. Certainly not the V6, DT-880 or K702.

So what would you prefer? Extra bass or too forward of upper mids? I think as a studio monitor I'd much rather give up some bass. It seems you can't have everything...I do wonder why it's so hard to make a completely flat and neutral studio monitor.

I wonder if the KRK KNS-8400 has closer to neutral bass and more than the SRH-940? On it graphs it looked like it. Of course it has little bass impact, so people (like me probably) will go around saying it's bass light!!

To this day, unfortunately I've yet to hear a completely flat studio monitor. Most sound quite balanced and close, but not quite.

I still want to try the DT-48 and SRH-940 to compare to my KRK.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #1,062 of 3,855

Quote:
define "tons of bass". 

Boom, boom, boom, it's really shaking you, and enjoyable.

Musically speaking I find the bass of srh940 fine, it's just doesn't deliver enough when the main area of excitement is bass.
I'm thinking of the title "Sexy B...  /Sexy chick" by David Guetta, it's mainly Bass, I  think I  enjoy it more through my cheap ksc75.

However I  think they are exciting with hard rock/ metal, I'm sure in what exact genre the group Rammstein would fit.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,063 of 3,855
Studio engineers use headphones for different purposes. One is to highlight flaws, maybe boost some frequencies where recording faults usually appear.
Another is to give an impression how it would sound out of an "ordinary" system. For this they use everything they can get their hands on... Anyone know grot boxes? 
Third is to give a holistic sense: something that gives a flat FR and an understanding of how it all plays out on a "proper" system, or whatever reason. 

So what are the SRH940 most ideal for? 
Hard to think that it's bright just because it gives a false sense of detail (frequency boost)... Bright being debatable of course. 

@extrabigmehdi
I disagree. They already made the SRH840 for the bass-lovers. How could there be more bass? People who want loud monotonic bass can go play with their M50's and Beats, leave Shure out of all this. I'm sure they considered both the mainstream audience as well as musicians/sound engineers when they came out with the full-sided line. 

They could probably make a lot of money with their name and push more crap out and put all the money on advertising instead of engineering, for instance. 

Anyways, still haven't heard these. Going to order soon.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #1,064 of 3,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People who want loud monotonic bass can go play with their M50's and Beats, leave Shure out of all this.

Ok, I  would consider  later to get an Ultrasone.

Quote:
I'm sure they considered both the mainstream audience as well as musicians/sound engineers when they came out with the full-sided line. 

So the srh940, is not for the mainstream ?

Anyway, I  find them awesome with the music below. Off course the sound is not as good in a video online, I  have a lossless version.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,065 of 3,855
Heh, yes Ultrasone are even worse :)

But I don't know. Are they for the mainstream? 99% of listeners prefer bass-boost and these don't have that as you said... From your words I understood that you disliked them and wished for Shure to have realized the simple equation: more bass = more money, from which I concluded you like more bass and less treble. Sorry if I was mistaken. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back