Shure se846 vs. JH16/13
Jun 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #16 of 93
I have owned JH13 non-FP version, sold it.
I now own JH16 FP version.
But as I said, there's no question about the technological capability of the earphone, it is rather the JH housesound which is a bit off from what many people consider "musical".

How would describe the differences in bass, mids and treble, between what you hear for the jh16fp and the sound you consider most musical? Thanks.

Currawong, how did the e846 compare in detail, bass and treble extension, and overall technical ability to the JH13 or 16?

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 93
Quote:
How would describe the differences in bass, mids and treble, between what you hear for the jh16fp and the sound you consider most musical? Thanks.

Currawong, how did the e846 compare in detail, bass and treble extension, and overall technical ability to the JH13 or 16?

+1

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 93
+2

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 93
Quote:

too much mid-bass, even sub bass. Around 6-8k region need to be adjusted too, a bit too much, treble extension is inferior to big cans, lacking air up-top; low-mids for vocal is recessed, resulting in relatively weak imaging.
All these can be fixed by high-end custom cables (not those from big companies).

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 93
Quote:
too much mid-bass, even sub bass. Around 6-8k region need to be adjusted too, a bit too much, treble extension is inferior to big cans, lacking air up-top; low-mids for vocal is recessed, resulting in relatively weak imaging.
All these can be fixed by high-end custom cables (not those from big companies).

Sorry, but I am unclear whether you are comparing the Shure to JHs or to big cans. Could you please clarify which headphones you mean in particular. Thank you!

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #22 of 93
Quote:

what high-end custome cables are you talking about could you recommend?

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 93
They'll be better for some. The JH13 is easy to drive but very revealing of source because it's "house sound" is mostly not having one while having loys of info and dynamic contrast. Finding something with a sig that you like and less critical is often more appealing. I'm Shure
wink_face.gif
 That's they were looking for in the se846 and rightfully so. It needs a larger market share and to make marginal sources sound less marginal. It cab be better than it needs to be and still freindly.

There is no perfect earphone but for me, I prefer to do my own tailoring if needed and happen to be a huge fan of the JH13fp so it's unlikely the shure will be better for me but it could be for another and other customs for me as well..

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 93
Quote:
They'll be better for some. The JH13 is easy to drive but very revealing of source because it's "house sound" is mostly not having one while having loys of info and dynamic contrast. Finding something with a sig that you like and less critical is often more appealing. I'm Shure
wink_face.gif
 That's they were looking for in the se846 and rightfully so. It needs a larger market share and to make marginal sources sound less marginal. It cab be better than it needs to be and still freindly.

There is no perfect earphone but for me, I prefer to do my own tailoring if needed and happen to be a huge fan of the JH13fp so it's unlikely the shure will be better for me but it could be for another and other customs for me as well..

No one is going to buy a $900 IEM when they are still listening to low quality mp3s from their crappy mp3 players. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #26 of 93
You suffer from tunnel vision. Ask your friends if they listen to apple store music on the multi thousand dollar home systems. Consumers have been buying expensive speakers with crappy CD players and receivers forever. I would wager any amount that most folks that buy the se846 in the US will use it on an Ipod, Sansa or smartphone and no amp/DAC when on the go.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 93
Quote:
You suffer from tunnel vision. Ask your friends if they listen to apple store music on the multi thousand dollar home systems. Consumers have been buying expensive speakers with crappy CD players and receivers forever. I would wager any amount that most folks that buy the se846 in the US will use it on an Ipod, Sansa or smartphone and no amp/DAC when on the go.

No need to call names. 

When talking about a revealing signature, bad recordings and low bitrate files are usually the culprits. The JH13 shouldn't need a powerful amp, and the ipod and sansa are very decent mp3 players. It is very well known amongst almost every adult person that (low bitrate) mp3 files do not sound as good as flac of wav files. This probably has something to do with the whole cd era vs downloadable mp3s revolution they experienced. So I'm pretty sure that every person that will come into contact with high end uIEMs will atleast know this. 
I can imagine that not everyone has the time to figure out what the best portable dac amp combo is for their IEMs, but why do you assume the JH13 is so much pickier than the SE846?

All my audiophile friends are absolutely obsessed with flac files, dacs, cables and amps btw.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #28 of 93
Quote:
I have owned JH13 non-FP version, sold it.
I now own JH16 FP version.
But as I said, there's no question about the technological capability of the earphone, it is rather the JH housesound which is a bit off from what many people consider "musical".

A earphone doesn't have to be musical for you to enjoy it :p
But from the demos that JH provided, each band of sound (highs, mids, lows) seems disconnected from each other, which put me off getting them.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #29 of 93
Quote:
No need to call names. 

When talking about a revealing signature, bad recordings and low bitrate files are usually the culprits. The JH13 shouldn't need a powerful amp, and the ipod and sansa are very decent mp3 players. It is very well known amongst almost every adult person that (low bitrate) mp3 files do not sound as good as flac of wav files. This probably has something to do with the whole cd era vs downloadable mp3s revolution they experienced. So I'm pretty sure that every person that will come into contact with high end uIEMs will atleast know this. 
I can imagine that not everyone has the time to figure out what the best portable dac amp combo is for their IEMs, but why do you assume the JH13 is so much pickier than the SE846?

All my audiophile friends are absolutely obsessed with flac files, dacs, cables and amps btw.

The biggest sales I've made to people have been some of the dumbest people I've served. This is in retail in boutique though.

I've sold HD800's to people who knew nothing about audio in depth to half a dozen people. I've sold one to an asian man who listened exclusively to podcasts on a sansa clip. An AKG k3003 to a man who simply wanted "the best", also sold him the HM-602 to pair with it. He didn't know about sample rate, file types, dacs, headphone amps (desktop/portable). He just wanted the best and needed me to repeat it to him. I told him yes, I think it's the best universal iem, and he got confused asking what I meant... Opened a can of worms and almost lost a sale explaining to him what were custom iems.

And just two days ago, my co-worker sold HD800's to a rich chinese tourist who was looking for the "best" headphone. He was with three women who helped translate, and we had a hard time explaining to him they were open back headphones. He had noticed they leaked a lot of sound. He also found it wasn't loud enough, and when I showed him the Fiio E17, he was astonished that portable amps even existed; he assumed all headphones are made for ipods, really. I was surprised he ended up taking the headphone, he just wanted the best sound no matter what; I was going to recommend my co-worker show him the SE535's instead. He was using an app for his music, streaming.

So in my experience, many people who buy the highest end stuff, actually know nothing about it... People who spend between 300-1000$ are usually well educated and know the terminology and functions of different audio gear.

I'm sure many other sales people will say the same lol. People can be very strange with their buying behavior.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #30 of 93
Quote:
The biggest sales I've made to people have been some of the dumbest people I've served. This is in retail in boutique though.

I've sold HD800's to people who knew nothing about audio in depth to half a dozen people. I've sold one to an asian man who listened exclusively to podcasts on a sansa clip. An AKG k3003 to a man who simply wanted "the best", also sold him the HM-602 to pair with it. He didn't know about sample rate, file types, dacs, headphone amps (desktop/portable). He just wanted the best and needed me to repeat it to him. I told him yes, I think it's the best universal iem, and he got confused asking what I meant... Opened a can of worms and almost lost a sale explaining to him what were custom iems.

And just two days ago, my co-worker sold HD800's to a rich chinese tourist who was looking for the "best" headphone. He was with three women who helped translate, and we had a hard time explaining to him they were open back headphones. He had noticed they leaked a lot of sound. He also found it wasn't loud enough, and when I showed him the Fiio E17, he was astonished that portable amps even existed; he assumed all headphones are made for ipods, really. I was surprised he ended up taking the headphone, he just wanted the best sound no matter what; I was going to recommend my co-worker show him the SE535's instead. He was using an app for his music, streaming.

So in my experience, many people who buy the highest end stuff, actually know nothing about it... People who spend between 300-1000$ are usually well educated and know the terminology and functions of different audio gear.

I'm sure many other sales people will say the same lol. People can be very strange with their buying behavior.

Ok, you might have a point. I guess being rich can take a lot of  'fun' away, when you can buy whatever you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back