Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #14,971 of 22,945
  What do you guys think would be the next step after SE846? Totally in love with them just curious about competitors.  

The next steps are the SCS or SpinFit tips, an aftermarket cable and possibly a DAP or stacked DAC/Amp with smartphone.  There really aren't competitors to tell you the truth, more like differences in sound signature.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #14,972 of 22,945

Thanks for confirmation. Had a quick listen last night, Eagles album mentioned on a thread I read yesterday and not too familiar with that on 846s so will reserve judgement yet. Do you fully insert down 846 nozzle? It then doesn't have much play to pivot!

They even sell colored O-Rings. You might have some luck finding these at tattoo shops or places that sell piercing stuff that a lot of hippies like to wear.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #14,975 of 22,945
Having demoed the K10U, not quite sure it's an upgrade per se. Different sound signature I'd say, with more mid bass and less subbass compared to the 8s.

I own both the 846 and the K10U. I love the 846 but I must admit that the K10U is an upgrade if your front end is of high quality. The 8's don't have the last level of detail and cannot produce a sound stage up to the level of the K10U. Having said that the difference is not huge but it is easily heard. There is something about the K10U that gets to the emotion of the music. The 8's sound somewhat thinner by comparison. The sub bass on the 8's are still amazing and in a class by itself. I have both and don't intend on selling either. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #14,976 of 22,945
Having demoed the K10U, not quite sure it's an upgrade per se. Different sound signature I'd say, with more mid bass and less subbass compared to the 8s.

Forgot to prefix with "to me", LOL.

I current have both and have been listening to them for sometime now. During such time, I have spent time in re-cabling, re-tipping, playing with insertion depth, different DAP/DAC, etc. To me, K10U (aluminum) sounds more "grand" (lack of better words). High extends more with more transient, mids is fuller and smoother, soundstage is wider/taller and not congested, and as such better placement and layering. Not a bass-head so at time, I prefer the bass from k10u (actually, I prefer the one from Primo 8 - very good texture). To me, it is a good upgrade if taking the next step. However, we all have different taste, response to freq, etc, so take it with a grain of salt, just my 2 cents.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #14,980 of 22,945

The next steps are the SCS or SpinFit tips, an aftermarket cable and possibly a DAP or stacked DAC/Amp with smartphone.  There really aren't competitors to tell you the truth, more like differences in sound signature.

Yeah, I got personalized tips which greatly increased isolation and added some additional bass to the sound. But I don't get the reason to take amp for 8 Ohm iems - could you explain it for me?

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #14,981 of 22,945
I asked few days ago. I need affordable, durable cable suggestions. Mine broke today in accident.

This time it is urgent as I am using my old fiio cable atm which has 3 from 8 cords broken. (3 years old). I am thinking of getting fiio again but there must be better options

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #14,982 of 22,945
  I asked few days ago. I need affordable, durable cable suggestions. Mine broke today in accident.

This time it is urgent as I am using my old fiio cable atm which has 3 from 8 cords broken. (3 years old). I am thinking of getting fiio again but there must be better options

try typing iem cable in the search box, quality cables should last years and years, with proper handling.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #14,983 of 22,945
Yeah, I got personalized tips which greatly increased isolation and added some additional bass to the sound. But I don't get the reason to take amp for 8 Ohm iems - could you explain it for me?

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

I personally don't normally stack a DAC/amp with me, but there are those that do (to further dial in their favorite stacked sound signature) and that's okay. I'd rather use one device to listen to the best sound to my ears that is an all in one (a DAP). I explain more about DAC/amps and my preferences if you check out my Mojo, Hugo and QP1R comparisons in my QP1R review (currently in my signature and profile).

Hope this helps!

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #14,984 of 22,945
Cable Taco by Me. I gotz mad skills...lol 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back