Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #14,956 of 22,954
Don't think the bass on the SE846 will tone down with burn-in -- usually the bass will increase with burn in.  It's a fact that the bass on the SE846 is more pronounced and reverberant than bass on the earlier model Shures as a result of the much touted "subwoofer".  Frankly, imo the bass can be a bit too much at times, depending on the music -  sort of reminds me of my LCD-X which i sold mainly for that reason. 

I suppose you could say that it "bleeds" a bit into the mids -- if that bothers you than maybe the SE846 is not for you. But I would give it some time until you get used to the sound, you might find, as many have done here, that the bass grows on you and you end up preferring it. In fact, I would think that since you like electronic music the SE846 with its solid bass and overall improved clarity would be far preferable to the 535.  So, give it some time until you adjust and then decide.

Bass bleeding into the mids is one of many things that the 8s certainly do not do. The bass just hits at the right places. Demoed the k10u and the bass does bleed into the mids. My 2 dimes.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #14,957 of 22,954
Bass bleeding into the mids is one of many things that the 8s certainly do not do. The bass just hits at the right places. Demoed the k10u and the bass does bleed into the mids. My 2 dimes.

If the bass is bleeding into the mids you might want to see if you have some type of EQ running or possibly your source. I know some of my amps have a much higher degree of mid range bass than others even when they are set to flat.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #14,958 of 22,954
Been very happy with Westone Star tips for a year, but seeing SpinFits on Amazon UK, couldn't resist trying!

Not a good start, couldn't get out of tightly sealed package. Ended up using scissors and guess what? Yep, nicked silicone and cut through.
Before proceeding to get the next one out, I thought by diagram the silicon part spun round the shaft? Appears fixed as normal tips, maybe a sway! That correct or am I being silly?

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #14,959 of 22,954
got an unused pair of spinfit CP-800 Medium (Red), and I am looking to trade them for CP-800 Large. If anyone has the Large CP-800 and they don't fit them well and think that the medium CP-800 might provide for a better fit, then please PM me. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #14,960 of 22,954
  Been very happy with Westone Star tips for a year, but seeing SpinFits on Amazon UK, couldn't resist trying!

Not a good start, couldn't get out of tightly sealed package. Ended up using scissors and guess what? Yep, nicked silicone and cut through.
Before proceeding to get the next one out, I thought by diagram the silicon part spun round the shaft? Appears fixed as normal tips, maybe a sway! That correct or am I being silly?

The non-spinny bit threw me too, but this is apparently the way they're supposed to be. They could have been more accurately named "PivotFit".

But they really sound good to me. I'm using nothing else these days. Not even my SCS. If you can find a size that fits, you'll throw your Westone Stars in the trash :wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #14,961 of 22,954
got an unused pair of spinfit CP-800 Medium (Red), and I am looking to trade them for CP-800 Large. If anyone has the Large CP-800 and they don't fit them well and think that the medium CP-800 might provide for a better fit, then please PM me. Thanks.

Awesome, PM sent!

I'm glad you like the SpinFits, even over your SCS, csglinux! Are you going to CanJam London?

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #14,963 of 22,954
  The non-spinny bit threw me too, but this is apparently the way they're supposed to be. They could have been more accurately named "PivotFit".

But they really sound good to me. I'm using nothing else these days. Not even my SCS. If you can find a size that fits, you'll throw your Westone Stars in the trash :wink:

Thanks for confirmation. Had a quick listen last night, Eagles album mentioned on a thread I read yesterday and not too familiar with that on 846s so will reserve judgement yet. Do you fully insert down 846 nozzle? It then doesn't have much play to pivot!

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #14,964 of 22,954
Apr 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #14,967 of 22,954

Thanks for confirmation. Had a quick listen last night, Eagles album mentioned on a thread I read yesterday and not too familiar with that on 846s so will reserve judgement yet. Do you fully insert down 846 nozzle? It then doesn't have much play to pivot!

The SpinFits work great for me when installed all the way down the nozzle, but I wouldn't worry about leaving a mm or too shy at the end, if that's what you need to get a good seal.

I'm glad you like the SpinFits, even over your SCS, @csglinux! Are you going to CanJam London?

Dang, they're awesome. I should have taken your advice sooner on these! I'll miss you all, but I can't make the London CanJam :frowning2:  Moedawg, please say hi to Andrew and all my other fellow brits. I hope you get a chance to have a good old cockney knees up with me chinas down the rub-a-dub.  (Translation for non-Londoners: I hope you manage to enjoy a few refreshing beverages in the local bar.)

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #14,969 of 22,954

If you need to extend it down the tube some and want it to be even every time, go down to your local hardware store and pick up some small O-Rings. Home Depot and Lowes have them for a few dollars and have the small size you'd need. Just eyeball it. :p

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #14,970 of 22,954

...Dang, they're awesome. I should have taken your advice sooner on these! I'll miss you all, but I can't make the London CanJam :frowning2:  Moedawg, please say hi to Andrew and all my other fellow brits. I hope you get a chance to have a good old cockney knees up with me chinas down the rub-a-dub.  (Translation for non-Londoners: I hope you manage to enjoy a few refreshing beverages in the local bar.)

I didn't really post a lot about the SpinFit tips this past year, so I wouldn't expect you or anyone to catch on as soon as I first posted during last year's CanJam. 
normal_smile .gif
  I will make sure to say hi to Andrew and your other Brits!  Thanks for the translation, whew!  I'll probably indulge in the local non-alcoholic beverages, but I don't think I'll be eating more black pudding/blood sausage anytime soon. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back