Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #8,986 of 22,954

Same here. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm getting the ibasso mk2 on friday.  I'll let you know how it does.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #8,987 of 22,954
 Interesting. I have to test that out tonight. Time to dust off my x5. :D

Yup! It really does pair very well with the X5. Pretty dead silent when plugged in without music. With the default (blue) filters, the music packs some omph and punch from the sub bass with superb mids and vocals. However I do find the clarity suffering a little of a slight veil hovering the lower mids region with this default filter. With the white filter, clarity and detailings shine immediately! Bass is even tighter. But pairing with X5 i do occasionally find the treble hitting abit hard across and sounding a little harsh. Probably calling for a cable change haha.

Anybody can chime in regarding which filters you guys go for? :blush:

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #8,989 of 22,954
I think this might be overkill, but what do you guys think of this?

Laptop -> Modi USB DAC -> Lyr Tube Amp -> SE846

---

Also, upon closer listening, I'm hearing a cracking/popping sound at normal listening levels. Anybody experience something like this and can suggest a fix?

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #8,990 of 22,954

Please do. That would be very helpful. Thanks!

I have the iBasso D-Zero MKII and it is wonderful for the price, works with android phones as well. 

The Lyr is not a good choice for the SE846, it is way too powerful and there is no fix (I think anyway). Maybe get a portable amp to go with your Modi? 

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #8,991 of 22,954
Just got my Star Tips, some initial impressions with the 846:

Fit and Comfort
I find these fit better than the Shure silicons for me with this particular IEM.  I find the Comply P series to be slightly more comfortable though.  The Star Tips are far easier to wear and remove since they do not require to be rolled like any of my foam tips.  The P-Series fits much deeper than the black Star Tips I am using.  I think the P-series is closer to the red/orange Star Tips in terms of length.

Isolation 
While I am getting a very good seal with the Star Tips, they do not isolate as well as any of my other tips.  The Shure silicon tips fare a little better here.  The Comply P series is miles ahead in this regard.  With the P-Series, I can barely hear conversations around me without any music playing through the IEMs.  With the Stars, I can hear ambient noise around me.  I can even hear my room's airconditioner when I am not playing anything.  Microphonics on the Star Tips is also more apparent.  The P-Series has very little.

Sound
The Star Tips seem to mellow down the sound a bit and make the bass sound a little tighter.  They also seem to bring down the treble a bit.  Actually, they make the sound a little more electronic to my ears.  In terms of soundstage and imaging, the Star Tips sound more intimate while the P-Series has a wider more airy sound.  Layering is also better with the Complies to me.

Personally I think the Comply P-Series creates a more natural, sound.  That's comparing it to the rest of the Shure tips I have too.  Of my stable of tips, these are my current favorite.  I wish I bought the Westone sampler that included the foam tips so that I could test them too.

It is also worth noting that the Comply P-Series seem to be a bit fragile.  After a week of use, they no longer isolate as good as when they are new, and I broke my first pair after about 2-months of use.  My Shure Olives in comparison lasted more than a year.

I will probably use the Star Tips on my SE425s.  I use those IEMs with my laptop for work, so I tend to wear and remove them often.  The silicon tips should be easier to use in that regard and they should also be durable enough to last under that kind of abuse.  The P-Series will remain on my 846 since they sound so much better with those IEMs.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #8,993 of 22,954
  I'm about to order the follow cable for my SE846 : 
SXC 24 Earphone Cable : http://www.aloaudio.com/sxc-24-earphone-cable with balanced 2.5 mm
What do think about my future order ? is it an serious upgrade ?
thx

This will vary from people to people. Some think cables make a lot of difference, but some don't. 

My suggestion would be to buy a cable from another cable manufacturer like Toxic Cables or DHC. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #8,994 of 22,954
  This will vary from people to people. Some think cables make a lot of difference, but some don't. 

My suggestion would be to buy a cable from another cable manufacturer like Toxic Cables or DHC. 

Could you please give me links for order and exact references ?

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #8,998 of 22,954
You don't. MBPr's have excellent sound output to begin with and *** I have mine at 1-4 volume bars depending on what time of day I'm using it. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #9,000 of 22,954
Anyone interested in the sensaphonics custom sleeves, they have a discount going on now, the NAMM promotion. Code is NAMMSleeves, $25 off (usual $150). Not sure if it applies if you want custom colours :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back