Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,096 of 22,954
With both my 535 LTD and 846, there is a bit of fear with removing the tips the first time.  The same tips do get easier to install and remove with a couple of removals.

Also, my method is the same as Someguydude.  Pinch with fingernails around the hard plastic inner area and firmly remove. You won't break anything. I felt like it took 20% more power to remove than was safe the first couple of times.  Now, I just pop them off...no freezer or any other surgical procedure.  

Now put your back into it and take those tips off :p

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #4,097 of 22,954
I just slid my fingernail under the white tip "collar" and pulled - the 846 felt sturdy enough to handle it - no flex, no creaking - I would never have been able to do that with my old W3 or W4R..... the nozzle would have been in the palm my hand.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4,098 of 22,954
Don't actually just straight up "pull" if it makes you feel uncomfortable. Twist a little, like you're trying to "cut" the thing free with your fingernail. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4,099 of 22,954
Yeh, the fingernail method seemed to work best for me too. In the instruction booklet, shure recommends that you remove in a twist motion but that didn't work for me. I found that first time removal required alot more force. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #4,100 of 22,954
The Comply tips is very easy to remove from the se846 

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #4,102 of 22,954
What works for me when removing the tips, is that you just grab the tips, twist it like you are opening a bottle. Don't worry about squishing the foams into deformation - they will regain their original shape after a while. It is easier to twist than just pull - after you have twisted them a couple of turns, they will be easier to remove. Keep twisting and apply a moderate pulling action as well. After a couple more turns and a gentle pull, the tips will come right off.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4,103 of 22,954
  I think what they and I am trying to say is the stock tips can be difficult but once done then all will be easy to remove.

Got it and YES, the stock tips is really damn hard to remove for the first few times, I also have to use the same method as above to pinch with fingernails around the hard plastic inner area to remove it. I tried with the new comply tips and is easy to put in and remove out but after a few times of wearing the comply easily get tear off.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4,104 of 22,954
A quick reminder to Shure users of the freezer method of removing tips: 

If your tips are stuck on, put them in a plastic bag in the freezer for an hour. They'll then slide off easily. I used to do this with my old SE500s - don't worry, your IEMs won't be damaged!

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #4,105 of 22,954
  A quick reminder to Shure users of the freezer method of removing tips: 

If your tips are stuck on, put them in a plastic bag in the freezer for an hour. They'll then slide off easily. I used to do this with my old SE500s - don't worry, your IEMs won't be damaged!

Actually - now I think of it - the nozzles on the 846s are metal rather than plastic. This may not work as well.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4,107 of 22,954
I only ever had a problem removing the olives the first time (out of the box). However for those who continue to have this problem may I suggest an expensive solution.. wait for it.... You know its coming ..

Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS) the solution for ALL for UF nozzle condom issues problems. They go on and off the Nozzle with ease on top of their other previously mentioned qualities..

(Yes I will post pictures VERY soon)

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #4,108 of 22,954
  I only ever had a problem removing the olives the first time (out of the box). However for those who continue to have this problem may I suggest an expensive solution.. wait for it.... You know its coming ..

Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS) the solution for ALL for UF nozzle condom issues problems. They go on and off the Nozzle with ease on top of their other previously mentioned qualities..

(Yes I will post pictures VERY soon)

True ONLY with the stock tips it came with. After that all easy and never an issue.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4,110 of 22,954
  After thinking about it some more, even if the nozzle broke, couldn't we just get a replacement from Shure since they are removable?

Good point, too! I'd bet they're cheap as hell. You could probably get a little baggie of them from Shure if you asked nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back