Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #4,082 of 22,954
I'm loaded with excuses lol

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #4,083 of 22,954
I'm loaded with excuses lol

Tisk, tisk....
wink.gif

Hmmm....I noticed you're the first second person I've seen who lists owning 1plus2's and 846's. I would like to hear read your comparison of the them when you get done with the house cleaning.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #4,086 of 22,954
Date of manufacture - 4/18/2014 - damn what a heavy box!

and I am working around the house and a sweaty pig - so I can't play with them yet....

argh

Congratulations. :sparkler::fireworks:
Welcome to the Machine

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4,087 of 22,954
  Hi all. I'm contemplating a purchase of 846s or TG334s. Can anyone provide insights into which might be preferable for a very wide range of genres focussed around rock, blues, jazz and funk with minimal electronic and classical.

Its a hard choice as they are both really good in terms of bass, vocal, sound stage and clarity. The TG334 is a very warm IEM but the despite that, it has a unique ability to pump out a lot of details with great clarity without needing much treble, in other words, it does not require much treble to trick the ears to be "clear" and that is really something for an IEM.

The set back is, TG334 hiss quite a lot, it hiss on most phones and many amps out there. I finally get the hiss under control with dacport 1 ohm mode so If you can get pass that hiss, it’s a wonderful IEM. SE 846 too has its unique ability ... first the bass.. , the sub bass just rumble softly when call upon and disappear completely when not needed. It’s like adding a very fine tune sub-woofer to a floor standing speaker. The TG334 too has that level of sub bass, but I find it to be too thick to disappear completely when not needed. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that it leaked badly to the mid, it does not, but when compared directly to Se846, the sub bass level is not as refine. Think of a TH900 sub bass and LCD-3 sub bass, these 2 headphone has been rated as having the very best bass out there in quality and quantity but yet, they are completely different kind of bass. The TG334 would be LCD-3 type of bass, while the Se846 lean more towards TH900 refine bass level.

Both have very good soundstage, but I prefer TG334 type of soundstage, very 3D and tall. They are both very good, but both pales in comparison to say EX1000 or K3003. These 2 IEM is about the widest I have heard but then they are not as 3D. Both TG334 and SE846 has pin point accuracy positioning... not sure which one is better, they are both similar.

The good thing is SE846 comes in different flavors with 3 filters. You can pick your flavor and if you want to resemble more of TG334 tonality, get the custom sleeves. The bass and vocal becomes thicker and treble reduce quite abit. So 4 flavors to choose from. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4,090 of 22,954

Its a hard choice as they are both really good in terms of bass, vocal, sound stage and clarity. The TG334 is a very warm IEM but the despite that, it has a unique ability to pump out a lot of details with great clarity without needing much treble, in other words, it does not require much treble to trick the ears to be "clear" and that is really something for an IEM.

The set back is, TG334 hiss quite a lot, it hiss on most phones and many amps out there. I finally get the hiss under control with dacport 1 ohm mode so If you can get pass that hiss, it’s a wonderful IEM. SE 846 too has its unique ability ... first the bass.. , the sub bass just rumble softly when call upon and disappear completely when not needed. It’s like adding a very fine tune sub-woofer to a floor standing speaker. The TG334 too has that level of sub bass, but I find it to be too thick to disappear completely when not needed. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that it leaked badly to the mid, it does not, but when compared directly to Se846, the sub bass level is not as refine. Think of a TH900 sub bass and LCD-3 sub bass, these 2 headphone has been rated as having the very best bass out there in quality and quantity but yet, they are completely different kind of bass. The TG334 would be LCD-3 type of bass, while the Se846 lean more towards TH900 refine bass level.

Both have very good soundstage, but I prefer TG334 type of soundstage, very 3D and tall. They are both very good, but both pales in comparison to say EX1000 or K3003. These 2 IEM is about the widest I have heard but then they are not as 3D. Both TG334 and SE846 has pin point accuracy positioning... not sure which one is better, they are both similar.

The good thing is SE846 comes in different flavors with 3 filters. You can pick your flavor and if you want to resemble more of TG334 tonality, get the custom sleeves. The bass and vocal becomes thicker and treble reduce quite abit. So 4 flavors to choose from. 

Thanks so much for the amazing comparison, Audiowood!

I'm not sure now if that's made my decision easier or harder!! I guess I should buy the slightly used (<20 hours) SE846s and use them until I can demo the TG334s again. Then I can decide whether to sell the SE846s or hoard IEMs and own both!!
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #4,091 of 22,954
I just got my pair from Earphone Solutions and here are my initial non-audio observations:
1. It was a pain in the butt to remove the olives that were factory installed. I thought I was going to break something.
2. The packaging was very nice...but...considering that these were $1000, the craftsmanship of the headphones themselves could've been better at the seams. Unlike the Westone W4Rs I had, the seams on my pair are rough and catches my nail when I run it along the bottom. Does anyone else have this on their pair?

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #4,092 of 22,954
  I just got my pair from Earphone Solutions and here are my initial non-audio observations:
1. It was a pain in the butt to remove the olives that were factory installed. I thought I was going to break something.
2. The packaging was very nice...but...considering that these were $1000, the craftsmanship of the headphones themselves could've been better at the seams. Unlike the Westone W4Rs I had, the seams on my pair are rough and catches my nail when I run it along the bottom. Does anyone else have this on their pair?

Both of these points are true. But I have to be indifferent towards the 2nd point. While I can feel the seem I am much more pleased with the build quality of all Shure IEMs as compared to my multiple pairs of westones. My westones were frail and while they wernt junk they needed to be minded and treated with care, I always felt like the nozzle was ready to snap. 

I despise the memory wire on the shure cable so I cut it off. But after that I feel like the shure cable is far stronger and has a better feel than the westone EPIC cable. 

Once again, huge fan of westone, excellent company but I would recommend sturdier build for improvent. Also I bought a monitor vault for my westones because I was so paranoid, where as with the 846 im comfortable using them in the nice zip case they came with. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #4,093 of 22,954
  Both of these points are true. But I have to be indifferent towards the 2nd point. While I can feel the seem I am much more pleased with the build quality of all Shure IEMs as compared to my multiple pairs of westones. My westones were frail and while they wernt junk they needed to be minded and treated with care, I always felt like the nozzle was ready to snap. 

I despise the memory wire on the shure cable so I cut it off. But after that I feel like the shure cable is far stronger and has a better feel than the westone EPIC cable. 

Once again, huge fan of westone, excellent company but I would recommend sturdier build for improvent. Also I bought a monitor vault for my westones because I was so paranoid, where as with the 846 im comfortable using them in the nice zip case they came with. 

I definitely agree about the cables. The Shure cable is A LOT nicer than the Westone Epic cable.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4,094 of 22,954

Yes the stock tips I had to cut them off. They would not slide off at all.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #4,095 of 22,954
To get the tips off, you have to slip a nail underneath and sort of "slide" it in a circle around the nozzle a while and ease it off of there. Takes a moment but works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back