Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #22,576 of 22,954
Ah yes.
Thank you for reminding me.
I will do that and see how that goes. Did you double check with an actual red filter to see if the sound corresponds?
I don't really like the sound of red filters, to be honest.
I prefer white filters as they give a real professional and musical sound, very accurate and very natural. All other filters simply muffle the sound and distort the balance.
But white filters with one foam at the edge or with two foams, depending on your hearing acuity, will do the same thing as red filters.

And I would like to clarify that if white filters sound harsh to you, as many people write, then this is not a problem with white filters - but the problem lies in the quality of the source, the DAC and the amplifier. This means that the quality of the source is not enough to play the upper range correctly and accurately.
Many, even very expensive portable devices suffer from this problem.
For example, from a high-quality se846 source with white filters, it does not play as brightly as it does from the same NDH 30 source. And NDH 30 is considered a reference and super accurate and natural sound, with powerful musicality.
Draw your own conclusions and don't judge by the low impedance of the se846.
Low impedance does not mean that a medium price portable source is enough for them!

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #22,577 of 22,954
I hear you, comrade.
And I do appreciate your straightforward views
because they sound honest and informed.
My source devices include an LG V50, a Fiio M11, a DragonFly Cobalt and a Chord Mojo.
Though due to my everyday habits I would prefer to have the se846s hooked on a BT adapter to be honest.

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #22,578 of 22,954
Though due to my everyday habits I would prefer to have the se846s hooked on a BT adapter to be honest.
I use them like that. The sound changes a bit with the TWS 2. But it doesn't really matter for on the go listening. I use the foam tips for bike rides and such.

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #22,579 of 22,954
I hear you, comrade.
And I do appreciate your straightforward views
because they sound honest and informed.
My source devices include an LG V50, a Fiio M11, a DragonFly Cobalt and a Chord Mojo.
I have two pairs of se846 and I tried these two pairs in turn with TW2 several times - but each time I absolutely did not like the sound. The first time I thought it was an incorrectly tuned TW2. But I tried all possible settings and tried the second pair of TW2 and the second se846 and the result is the same - after a good source, I don’t like its sound.
The only conclusion I can draw is that the TW2 are not designed for such a high class IEM and the se846 are not designed and compatible in sound quality to receive a bluetooth signal. Shure released TW2 simply out of greed for extra money.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #22,580 of 22,954
I have two pairs of se846 and I tried these two pairs in turn with TWS 2 several times - but each time I absolutely did not like the sound. The first time I thought it was an incorrectly tuned TWS 2. But I tried all possible settings and tried the second pair of TWS 2 and the second se846 and the result is the same - after a good source, I don’t like its sound.
The only conclusion I can draw is that the TWS 2 are not designed for such a high class IEM and the se846 are not designed and compatible in sound quality to receive a bluetooth signal. Shure released TWS 2 simply out of greed for extra money.
But I have the TW2 and Fiio UTWS5 and the Shures are better in every way - except max volume is higher for the Fiios. It’s just the Bluetooth limitation I think, not a fault of the TW2s.

I now run with my 535s hooked up to the TW2s instead because I can eq them, and have brown Knowles filters which transform the 535s.

Bluetooth makes the music sound like it’s playing at half speed through the 846s compared to wired.

Has anyone tried taking Knowles filter pieces and putting them inside the white filter? I ask because they really do make the 535s so much better.

Apr 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #22,581 of 22,954
But I have the TW2 and Fiio UTWS5 and the Shures are better in every way - except max volume is higher for the Fiios. It’s just the Bluetooth limitation I think, not a fault of the TW2s.

I now run with my 535s hooked up to the TW2s instead because I can eq them, and have brown Knowles filters which transform the 535s.

Bluetooth makes the music sound like it’s playing at half speed through the 846s compared to wired.

Has anyone tried taking Knowles filter pieces and putting them inside the white filter? I ask because they really do make the 535s so much better.
I agree with this. The TW2 is my favorite and the most reliable by far of all the BT TWS adapters I've tested.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #22,582 of 22,954
BT definitely has a place for ease of use, I use wireless when I’m out and about and the sound quality difference between wired and wireless is hardly noticeable.

If I’m kicking back in my favourite chair at home then wireless all the way.

Pointless moaning about the pros and cons because everybody has a different listening use case. If it works for you great, if it doesn’t, don’t. Simple.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #22,583 of 22,954
For Bluetooth I opt for options with wire that you can leave hanging around your neck. I had Fiio utws5 and I gave them away. Not because of the sound but mainly because of not being practical for my intended use. I have Shure BT2 and ordered a Null Audio NYX BT+ with LDAC codecs to see how it fairs with se846

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #22,584 of 22,954
I have two pairs of se846 and I tried these two pairs in turn with TW2 several times - but each time I absolutely did not like the sound. The first time I thought it was an incorrectly tuned TW2. But I tried all possible settings and tried the second pair of TW2 and the second se846 and the result is the same - after a good source, I don’t like its sound.
The only conclusion I can draw is that the TW2 are not designed for such a high class IEM and the se846 are not designed and compatible in sound quality to receive a bluetooth signal. Shure released TW2 simply out of greed for extra money.
I agree with your comments about the TW2 and SE846 pairing. The sound quality is just "okay". Not bad but not great. You certainly are not getting all the detail that the 846 are capable of. It makes sense with the limited space restriction for the battery/dac/amp.

But I wouldn't go as far to say that Shure made the TW2 out of greed. It wasn't made for just the 846, but across all their SE line. It's makes more sense for their entry-level SE earphones.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #22,586 of 22,954
For Bluetooth I opt for options with wire that you can leave hanging around your neck. I had Fiio utws5 and I gave them away. Not because of the sound but mainly because of not being practical for my intended use. I have Shure BT2 and ordered a Null Audio NYX BT+ with LDAC codecs to see how it fairs with se846
I'm looking forward to hear your impressions of the NYX BT+

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #22,587 of 22,954
I agree with your comments about the TW2 and SE846 pairing. The sound quality is just "okay". Not bad but not great. You certainly are not getting all the detail that the 846 are capable of. It makes sense with the limited space restriction for the battery/dac/amp.

But I wouldn't go as far to say that Shure made the TW2 out of greed. It wasn't made for just the 846, but across all their SE line. It's makes more sense for their entry-level SE earphones.
Yes, you're right, I forgot about the rest of the IEM line. I think the 535 will sound ok for portability. But I haven't tested this.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #22,589 of 22,954
I will post soon about this.
I already own a set of NYX BT+ hooked on a pair of IMR Avalon, which are harder to drive and it drives them smoothly. Hopefully it will match se846 lower impedance requirements. We'll see.
Whats the battery like with LDAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back