Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #2,206 of 22,954

Nice little setup, trucker.  I'd have the clip velcro's onto e11.  That  is what I did with  the fuze.  Don't like that fat rubber band they give you with the amp. 

By all means, give it a try and let us know how it compares.  I, for one, would be interested in knowing.  Your setup should somewhat comparable to mine, the difference being the 5EBs as opossed to the MG7s.  But, if they (the  5EBs) have more bass than even the IE8, that must put you  somewhere in the neighborhood of the atrios.

I would really  be interested in knowing how your comparison turns out.

Actually I don't use the Clip+ at all these days. I only pulled it out to see if I could get close to your setup. But, I have to thank you because I'm kinda liking the UE Superfi 5 EB. If you'd asked me to describe its sound before today, I'd have said it was bassy yet cold and thin. I've used V4A and an adapter plug plus attenuator to make it slightly neutralish/warmish/mid-forward and sharp. The soundstage is decent and it is enjoyable now. I've had this IEM for probably eleven years.

I can't believe how close the tonality of my Galaxy S2/ Superfi 5 is to the Note 3/ 846. I don't know if I can mimic the size, detail, and upfront quality of the Note 3/ 846, but this is just day one of trying.

May 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,207 of 22,954
The e11 is used soley for the very clean dual level bass boost feature, not the volume, although its nice to have (gun theory - better to have and not need vs need and not have).

I love really good bass and the e11 and MG7s are a match made in heaven.  You haven't lived until you've listened to NIN closer through bass boosted Atrios.  Of course your hearing will never be the same, but....small price to pay, I say.

Seriously though, if that is in fact the case - 846s cannot be amped, and therefore bass boosted, it gives me cause to rethink the matter.  The atrios boosted via the e11 and adjusted via poweramp's EQ literally gives you in-ear subwoofers that need to be heard to be believed.  I leave the bass boost on max since it is a very clean way to enhance to 250hz and below levels and adjust the overall effect using the EQ,  This gives me some very high quality bass / sub bass, and lots of it.  i don't use all that is available, but again, the gun  theory.

The atrios cost me 170.00.  Now, I am sure - beyond any kind of doubt - the 846's mids and highs make the MG7s seem like a K-mart blue light special, but if I spend 999.99 on the shure flagship only to find that I miss the bass of the atrios, I'm going to feel pretty bad at having spent that money.

And this is the only reason they (the SE846s) are not in the mail to me now.  I am going through every piece of information I can in order to determine whether or not the 846s are going to give me the bass I am looking for.

Really sucks having to buy on faith alone.  So wish I could have just 3 minutes with a pair of 846s.  Thought I had figured the bass part out, but now I'm not so sure.

At any rate, thank you so much for your input.

Based upon your statements and preferences, I would not recommend you purchase the SE846. The 846's bass while incredibly deep, impactful and detailed is not a bass cannon. As many have observed and I agree, the bass is beautiful when the song calls for it otherwise it is silent. To me that is the magic of the bass on 846. With such a great bass response, it is remarkable the bass never bleeds over into the lower mids.

You might, if your budget allows, look into the universal Roxanne or Ambiant FR by JH Audio. With an adjustable bass (Roxanne) or bass vents (Ambiant FR), you can tune the bass until you reach your desired response.

This is not to be read as in anyway a criticism of the 846 as I think it is truly an amazing IEM and I have found my end game with it (until Shure launches a new flagship). However, as I stated, based upon your preferences the 846 may not be for you.

May 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,208 of 22,954
I have not seen them at that price but my brother found a pair on eBay (as new) for $810.

May 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,210 of 22,954
^ Cheers! I will let my brother know.

Mine is still in my wallet - oops !

May 6, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,211 of 22,954

Seen them and bought them for less. Check at Music Direct  http://www.musicdirect.com  (SE846 direct link -  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-138745-shure-se846-in-ear-headphones.aspx?source=igodigital& )
They are listed at $999 but say "Call for Best Price" on the site. They are an authorized Shure dealer (I checked before I ordered) and offer outstanding customer service. I believe I paid $899 all in no taxes free shipping within the USA. with a 30 day money back guarantee. Which is nice as it takes out the risk of buyers remorse

Are they worth the price jump? As a past owner of E3s then 530s (dog ate these) and finally 535s yes! I loved them all ( well the e3s love is a strong word) but with each leg up the Shure ladder I but often found myself listening and asking myself "if only..." For the first time I no longer find myself wishing "if only" 
The bass is there in spades. And the White filters are great for cleaning up the muddiness from early 70s recordings like Dark Side of the Moon (But that is just personal preference of course).

Since receiving my 846s I have not touched my 535s.. SE846 Money well spent. In fact I would say that by comparison it is the SE535 that are not worth the money compared to the SE846

Hope this helps

May 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,212 of 22,954
Agiprodj.com also sells them for 15% with coupon code frequently so $850 which is what I paid for mine.

May 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,213 of 22,954
I've been a proud owner of the shure se535 for almost 3 years now - and they were my initial venture into high end IEMs. At first, the 535s didn't wow me but over time, I grew to appreciate them -alot! With the release of the se846, it has definitely piqued my interest. Having read several reviews on owners who owned both the se535s and se846s, they noted that there were vast improvements, even on the initial listen. I'm just wondering if it is worth to dish out 1 grand for another pair of magical cans? Is the difference between these two IEMs night and day? Really appreciate if anyone could reply to this. Thank you!

May 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #2,214 of 22,954
I've been a proud owner of the shure se535 for almost 3 years now - and they were my initial venture into high end IEMs. At first, the 535s didn't wow me but over time, I grew to appreciate them -alot! With the release of the se846, it has definitely piqued my interest. Having read several reviews on owners who owned both the se535s and se846s, they noted that there were vast improvements, even on the initial listen. I'm just wondering if it is worth to dish out 1 grand for another pair of magical cans? Is the difference between these two IEMs night and day? Really appreciate if anyone could reply to this. Thank you!

Yes

May 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,215 of 22,954
You should get the westone true fit tips. I did a comparison between them and the comply foam tips with wax guard, and played One Republic's 'If that's what you wanted' and the initial bass slaps is evidently present and felt while using the westone truefit tips while the comply foam tips only gave me a light spackle or devoid of subtle reverberations. So yeah, the Westone True Fit tips are a go! I got them in red, my ear hole needs much filling. Hope this helps!

May 6, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,216 of 22,954
Is there a difference in sound quality between the Shure Olive with and without wax guard? If so, should I be using the Shure SE535 olive or the silicone for the best sound quality?

The Shure SE846 + Shure SE535 olive tip sounds different to me, but i'm not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me :)

You should get the westone true fit tips. I did a comparison between them and the comply foam tips with wax guard, and played One Republic's 'If that's what you wanted' and the initial bass slaps is evidently present and felt while using the westone truefit tips while the comply foam tips only gave me a light spackle or devoid of subtle reverberations. So yeah, the Westone True Fit tips are a go! I got them in red, my ear hole needs much filling. Hope this helps!

May 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,217 of 22,954

Actually I don't use the Clip+ at all these days. I only pulled it out to see if I could get close to your setup. But, I have to thank you because I'm kinda liking the UE Superfi 5 EB. If you'd asked me to describe its sound before today, I'd have said it was bassy yet cold and thin. I've used V4A and an adapter plug plus attenuator to make it slightly neutralish/warmish/mid-forward and sharp. The soundstage is decent and it is enjoyable now. I've had this IEM for probably eleven years.

I can't believe how close the tonality of my Galaxy S2/ Superfi 5 is to the Note 3/ 846. I don't know if I can mimic the size, detail, and upfront quality of the Note 3/ 846, but this is just day one of trying.

You are close.  Very close.  Maybe it is a good thing that you revisited your long neglected 5EBs.  Let me know how it turns out.  Waiting to hear.

May 6, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2,219 of 22,954
Based upon your statements and preferences, I would not recommend you purchase the SE846. The 846's bass while incredibly deep, impactful and detailed is not a bass cannon. As many have observed and I agree, the bass is beautiful when the song calls for it otherwise it is silent. To me that is the magic of the bass on 846. With such a great bass response, it is remarkable the bass never bleeds over into the lower mids.

You might, if your budget allows, look into the universal Roxanne or Ambiant FR by JH Audio. With an adjustable bass (Roxanne) or bass vents (Ambiant FR), you can tune the bass until you reach your desired response.

This is not to be read as in anyway a criticism of the 846 as I think it is truly an amazing IEM and I have found my end game with it (until Shure launches a new flagship). However, as I stated, based upon your preferences the 846 may not be for you.

What an excellent reply.  Thank you very much for taking the time to explain your point of view.  I completely understand what you are saying.  It is me that is in error here.

True - I am a self confessed basshead, make no mistake.  Justify my love (modonna), let love rule (lenny kravitz), angel (massive attack) - these songs on truly powerful bass cannons are like audio crack to me.  But the truth is, it makes up only a small percentage of the music Iisten to - that is to say, music that make the amped and boosted atrios really shine.

I also own a pair of Westone W4Rs and spend a significant amount of  time listening to stuff like Niel Diamond, Mike Oldfield, Enya, and so many other songs that leave me absolutely stunned by how incredible they song throw  the 4Rs.  

Its not just about the ear drum trauma with me.  But I do understand what you are saying.

So, I will buy the 846s within the next few days and will not be disappointed in the fact that they are not the ultimate bass bazookas.  My guess is that I am going to end up like everyone else who has bought them before me - in love again.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back