Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #2,192 of 22,954
  From a anti-shock player? 
evil_smiley.gif
  Anyway, maybe it was the XBS.  
biggrin.gif

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL. You never fail to crack me up silverears.

Thanks guys for the positive feedback regarding my review.

Another observation I made today was that otherwise very difficult to understand vocals are far easier to comprehend and decipher via the Shures than the Senns (we're talking gutteral growls here, especially those heard within the deathcore genre).

Later on I will investigate the prospect of amplifiers and upgraded cables but for now the set up is more than adequate.  Much like the Senns my MacBook Pro (2010) has no trouble driving them.

Yes, I enjoyed your review and concur with you on most points. I could sense your enthusiasm, joy and excitement about the SE846's in your review :)

May 6, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,193 of 22,954
Thought I might fiddle around with EQu on my iPhone 5 and I am quite liking the results (even if it is merely sound colouration).  A gradual upward slope towards the high end with a very slight dip in the mid-bass region has yielded nice results in breathing life into male vocals.

As I use iDevices I don't think I will be bother with an amp at all.  I would rather not be encumbered by such things anyway (been there, done that, tried tucking the cable under the Tshirt).  The textural lushness of everything is blowing me away enough as is for now anyway.  I hope the veneer never wears off !

May 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #2,196 of 22,954

The e11 is used soley for the very clean dual level bass boost feature, not the volume, although its nice to have (gun theory - better to have and not need vs need and not have).

I love really good bass and the e11 and MG7s are a match made in heaven.  You haven't lived until you've listened to NIN closer through bass boosted Atrios.  Of course your hearing will never be the same, but....small price to pay, I say.

Seriously though, if that is in fact the case - 846s cannot be amped, and therefore bass boosted, it gives me cause to rethink the matter.  The atrios boosted via the e11 and adjusted via poweramp's EQ literally gives you in-ear subwoofers that need to be heard to be believed.  I leave the bass boost on max since it is a very clean way to enhance to 250hz and below levels and adjust the overall effect using the EQ,  This gives me some very high quality bass / sub bass, and lots of it.  i don't use all that is available, but again, the gun  theory.

The atrios cost me 170.00.  Now, I am sure - beyond any kind of doubt - the 846's mids and highs make the MG7s seem like a K-mart blue light special, but if I spend 999.99 on the shure flagship only to find that I miss the bass of the atrios, I'm going to feel pretty bad at having spent that money.

And this is the only reason they (the SE846s) are not in the mail to me now.  I am going through every piece of information I can in order to determine whether or not the 846s are going to give me the bass I am looking for.

Really sucks having to buy on faith alone.  So wish I could have just 3 minutes with a pair of 846s.  Thought I had figured the bass part out, but now I'm not so sure.

At any rate, thank you so much for your input.

I don't have a Fuse or Atrio, but I do have a RockBox'd Clip+ and UE Superfi 5 EB (with 13.5mm dynamic bass driver). It's one of the original basshead IEMs (more so than my IE8).

I was going to say you'll be fine with the bass of the 846, but the pairing of the Galaxy S2 and Superfi 5 EB makes me wonder if I can get the mids, highs, and tone to match the 846 (using Viper4Android). I'm going to try, and why not?

May 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,197 of 22,954
Well, based on all the reviews here, I got my SE846s.   I've noticed a big improvement over my Heir 5.0s (which are more V-shaped);  compared to the SE535s, the improvement is more subtle but is noticeable.

Also got my Oppos today, so it's a few days of musical bliss coming up  :)

May 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,198 of 22,954
  Well, based on all the reviews here, I got my SE846s.   I've noticed a big improvement over my Heir 5.0s (which are more V-shaped);  compared to the SE535s, the improvement is more subtle but is noticeable.

Also got my Oppos today, so it's a few days of musical bliss coming up  :)

That is the problem with relying on the views and opinions of everyone - people are so varied on any given aspect of how something sounds.  Earlier, I read a post in the this thread in which the 535 owner stated the improvement over the 535's is huge.  I am sure both  of you are correct in your statements, the question is 'who would I most likely agree with - given my tastes?'.

But, it is what it is.  Still, if the improvement over the 535's is only minimal, then is the added cost justified?  I guess the answer to that question is  based on the individual making the decision and how much that improvement, however small, is worth  to him.  But from a common sense stand point - the cost difference is significant so the expectation is that the degree of improvement over the 535s also be substantial.

May 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,199 of 22,954

I don't have a Fuse or Atrio, but I do have a RockBox'd Clip+ and UE Superfi 5 EB (with 13.5mm dynamic bass driver). It's one of the original basshead IEMs (more so than my IE8).

I was going to say you'll be fine with the bass of the 846, but the pairing of the Galaxy S2 and Superfi 5 EB makes me wonder if I can get the mids, highs, and tone to match the 846 (using Viper4Android). I'm going to try, and why not?

Nice little setup, trucker.  I'd have the clip velcro's onto e11.  That  is what I did with  the fuze.  Don't like that fat rubber band they give you with the amp. 

By all means, give it a try and let us know how it compares.  I, for one, would be interested in knowing.  Your setup should somewhat comparable to mine, the difference being the 5EBs as opossed to the MG7s.  But, if they (the  5EBs) have more bass than even the IE8, that must put you  somewhere in the neighborhood of the atrios.

I would really  be interested in knowing how your comparison turns out.

May 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,200 of 22,954
The fact is, I'm going to buy the 846s anyway.  No  matter what, they are an outstanding IEM.  I would like to know where they would  be positioned on  joker's sortable IEM list but I didn't see them on it.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to where the 846s stand in regards to the top tier list?

May 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,201 of 22,954
Best I have ever heard thus far and I have the 535 and westone 4 and the etyomotic 4p....the 846 is the best i have ever heard by leaps and bounds.....i am curious to hear or hear about opinions regarding the westone 6

May 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,202 of 22,954
  The fact is, I'm going to buy the 846s anyway.  No  matter what, they are an outstanding IEM.  I would like to know where they would  be positioned on  joker's sortable IEM list but I didn't see them on it.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to where the 846s stand in regards to the top tier list?

hmm so now you want 846 users to assume where Joker would rate the 846? lol  Some are going to dislike them, others will like them.  Dont base everything on what other people say.  Find the basic signature and decide whether you think you will like it or not, sell if you dont, try something new.  Everyone hears differently.

May 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #2,203 of 22,954
At the time of auditioning, I did not particularly fancy the overly warm and dark overall feel of the SE535.  Herein lies the trouble with auditioning though: one only has half an hour or so with the headphones.  Impressions are shaped over a far greater expanse of time than this. *

I am now in search of a source that equals the precision of the Macbook.  Too much is sacrificed when using EQ with the iPhone 5 just for the gain of smoothing out vocals - case in point: Devin Townsend's singing on "Seventh Wave" is brought forward with background vocals during the first verse sounding really lush, however the well produced percussion which has a resounding thump to it is veiled.  Playing the same song through my Mac sounds absolutely perfect and uncompromised.

* Brace yourselves for further observations. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back