Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #15,016 of 22,945
Any closed cans which would be similar to the 846 with bright filter? I bought Ultrasone Signature pro and I will return them.

I have the Akt5p with Shure Srh1540 pads and they are similar on sound. Also the Fostex TH600 and TH900 have a bright yet visceral bass.

I have all 3 and they are my favorite full size cans period.

Fine cans, th900, for sure but my thoughts are the mids in th900 are not comparable to 846. 846 has some bass but also a strong mid profile for clear, responsive detail. If some one wants bass heavy responsive cans sure, but if one wants detail mids, and thats where the real magic happends for many genres, possibly hd800S could be an alternative. Granted its bass is very fast and accurate, so bass dependent listeners need not apply, but the mids are succulant

So white filter 846 means to me accuracy and mid detail, more hd800S than th900 imo.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #15,018 of 22,945
Fine cans, th900, for sure but my thoughts are the mids in th900 are not comparable to 846. 846 has some bass but also a strong mid profile for clear, responsive detail. If some one wants bass heavy responsive cans sure, but if one wants detail mids, and thats where the real magic happends for many genres, possibly hd800S could be an alternative. Granted its bass is very fast and accurate, so bass dependent listeners need not apply, but the mids are succulant

So white filter 846 means to me accuracy and mid detail, more hd800S than th900 imo.

With the mids you're right but as far as overall detail retrieval the th600/900 series are the most detailed cans I have ever heard. They don't have the lushness or pop that others have.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #15,019 of 22,945
  iBasso DX80 is a pretty good start. Really fine combo playing DSD files. Great soundstage, tonal depth .. I've been an audiophile many years and have a great setup at home. But this combo I use while working and it is my most used music source. Sometimes I'm stunned at the quality I hear.

Could you elaborate more? The DX80 sounds interesting.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #15,020 of 22,945

With the mids you're right but as far as overall detail retrieval the th600/900 series are the most detailed cans I have ever heard. They don't have the lushness or pop that others have.

Try hd800s for detail and accuracy.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #15,022 of 22,945
Thanks. What about cheaper and portable options ?

I have the pioneer xpa700 being fed through the pioneer xdp100r. I'm using the forza copper series terminated balanced rosa/alo and it sounds sublime. Night and day difference then unbalanced with stock cable either from xdp100r alone or the xpa700. The soundstage just opened up dramatically. That dap alone is bright and airy, the amp stock became warmer and had more bass. Balanced really makes the treble with white filter very smooth and resolving with no sibilance. Bass hits harder and deeper. Before balanced the sound was very mid centric, after, the bass and treble seem to get more in line.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #15,023 of 22,945
Thanks. What about cheaper and portable options ?

Try OPPO HA2 or SONY PHA3!

I run the 846 with the bright filters and I find it is still a little darker than I'd prefer. The Oppo HA-2 also has a darker signature, so it's not the best pairing with the 846, but I still run that combination for convenience sake. the HA-2/iPhone 5S is a very portable stack.

For better sound on the go, the Sony PHA-3 is much better. The PHA-3 has a neutral signature and pairs better with the 846. I have balanced cables for the 846 and running that into the PHA-3 is really nice. I stack the PHA-3 with an iPhone 6 and the size of the two devices is complementary, however this getting rather large. While I love the sound, it can be a bit much to carry around.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #15,024 of 22,945
Does anyone have some cable recommendations? I am planning on getting a SE846 but the stock cable is horrific and disgusting.
I don't want a cable that supposedly delivers the greatest sound, just one that is light, looks good and thin - not bulky, sticky and ugly like the stock one.
I am planning on getting a Linum one but looking for some other suggestions - the Linum is cheap as well.
Thanks!

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #15,025 of 22,945
Does anyone have some cable recommendations? I am planning on getting a SE846 but the stock cable is horrific and disgusting.
I don't want a cable that supposedly delivers the greatest sound, just one that is light, looks good and thin - not bulky, sticky and ugly like the stock one.
I am planning on getting a Linum one but looking for some other suggestions - the Linum is cheap as well.
Thanks!

Several of us are using Ted's Silver Litz cables (my review of it is in my profile). Exemplary service and exemplary product for not too much out your pocket/bank. You also may receive recommendations for DHC, eBay cables, and the like. If you decide to purchase the SE846, welcome!

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #15,026 of 22,945
Thanks!

I'm super happy with this one - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/L-Shape-Plug-Silver-Foil-PU-Skin-Cable-For-Shure-se215-se315-se425-se535-Se846-LN005322/32638705446.html

Literally zero microphoncis. It's very soft, actually softest cable I saw.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #15,027 of 22,945
Several of us are using Ted's Silver Litz cables (my review of it is in my profile). Exemplary service and exemplary product for not too much out your pocket/bank. You also may receive recommendations for DHC, eBay cables, and the like. If you decide to purchase the SE846, welcome!

Looking at your Profile I see 17 reviews but none specifically listed for Ted's Silver Litz or Headphone Lounge.  But it is shown as a comparison cable in the review entitled Whiplash Audio TWau Reference Gold Plated Silver - With Comparison 

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #15,028 of 22,945
Looking at your Profile I see 17 reviews but none specifically listed for Ted's Silver Litz or Headphone Lounge.  But it is shown as a comparison cable in the review entitled Whiplash Audio TWau Reference Gold Plated Silver - With Comparison 

I have more reviews than that published. The current 17 are the ones that are put in the review section as "Head-Fi official reviews". Meaning, I can create impressions or a thread and it will not show up as one of the 17 posted "Head-Fi official reviews". You can find and read my entire review posts under "My reviews" underneath "Music Preferences" in my profile. You will find my Silver Litz cable review there.

Cheers and good luck!

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #15,029 of 22,945
Thanks!

Try and get a dollar amount you're comfortable with first, and that should help guide you if you are just looking for something that looks better and is more flexible than the stock cable.Ebay certainly has some nice looking cables for decent money. The Linum cable looks to be a nice option.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #15,030 of 22,945
Thanks!

The problem I was having with the stock cables was that they were too stiff and the bend that goes around your ear did not stay in place and it was actually re-positioning the monitors. It was a constant battle with the cables, which is silly. I don't know how Shure thought these were sufficient cables.

I'm now using Beat Audio's Silver Sonic MKV. The bend that goes around your ears are done so well, that they sleekly sit around your ears and never move.

I was able to order them with a balanced termination into two 3.5 mm jacks; I use them in balanced mode with the Sony PHA-3.

I also ordered a short adapter that takes them back to single ended for when I use them with other gear.

I really like them. If I had one criticism, they could stand to be a little less stiff. It's nothing major as you can see from the pics of them coiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back