Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #1,576 of 3,218
Quote:
One point to consider: Maybe 1k is custom iem territory but you cannot resell your customs. Anyway you can get custom sleeves for this se846 from sensaphonics for $150 plus $70 for the audiologists appointment plus shipping, I just ask them.

What would be the advantages?

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,578 of 3,218
Quote:
The sound quality will probably improve, since you wouldn't need the foam tips anymore. Also, about the same or better isolation, better comfort and insertion is faster.

Some say custom tips can have bad effects on custom tips sound quality. Well I didn't try it myself but, I heard people talking about it. So it depends on the situation I guess.

Edit: Huge typo, corrected.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,579 of 3,218
Quote:
Some say custom tips can have bad effects on custom tips. Well I didn't try it myself but, I heard people talking about it. So it depends on the situation I guess.

A bad effect on iems you mean? I actually don't understand why people would want to buy uIEMs and then make custom tips for them. If you haven't already bought the uIEM, why not buy a cIEM in the first place... 
I wouldn't be surprised if custom tips have a bad effect on the sound for some uIEMS, some uIEMS might not be tuned for such a long bore. And the custom tip might have a smaller, or bigger bore diameter than ideal.

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,580 of 3,218
I noticed today that the Shure olives now have a filter inside them. How long ago did they change their eartips? Any impressions on sound differences?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #1,581 of 3,218
Some say custom tips can have bad effects on custom tips. Well I didn't try it myself but, I heard people talking about it. So it depends on the situation I guess.

I did not at all care for the sound from my perfect fitting UM56 custom tips. It totally collapsed the soundstage and had a far too much in the head wired to the brain type of sound. Virtually no space.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,582 of 3,218
What would be the advantages?

I own the se535 and I always had problems with the sealing, even tried using different tips on each side/ear, till I found by accident a card promoting the custom sleeves from sensaphonics inside my shure's box. I give them a call and by luck they have an office at walking distance from work. The sleeves solve my problem of fitting. I never make a comparison between the different tips and the customs sleeves but I'm satisfied with their performance. That's why I call the sensaphonics' guys to ask about the sleeves for the se846. I will definitely get one of those custom sleeves if I ordered the se846.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,583 of 3,218
Several people, including myself, have noticed both fit, comfort and sonic improvements to using full custom silicon sleeves for the FS Atrio. The sonic improvements most mentioned are to soundstage.

Perhaps it is different with the shure custom tips, perhaps it is similar.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,584 of 3,218
Several people, including myself, have noticed both fit, comfort and sonic improvements to using full custom silicon sleeves for the FS Atrio. The sonic improvements most mentioned are to soundstage.

Perhaps it is different with the shure custom tips, perhaps it is similar.

I don't use any EQ and play lossless files and I heard everything very detailed without any coloration and also I feel the music very "out of my head" instead of "injected in my head" using custom sleeves with the se535.
Maybe some people think that the custom sleeves are improvised but in this case they have Shure's approval.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,585 of 3,218
I found this review that sounds very interesting: "Far superior sound than the custom earphones both my wife and I own that cost over $1,200. So yes, the argument about: "for that price I can get a custom" does not stick. Good luck getting the same experience and sound quality from a custom. It won't happen. The SE846 and its low pass filter have nothing to do with a "custom" earphones where you are basically paying a premium because they were made after your ear canal mold but nothing really exciting going on inside that sanded vinyl piece. Aside from the fact that you cannot resell your custom earphones. Furthermore, the SE846 is NOT about adding more drivers and putting a higher price tag on it. It's about delivering an experience and sound quality that you do not have from anything else being manufactured out there. Nothing comes close to the sound of the SE846. I'm very careful with what I write. I know thousands of our customers are hardcore audiophiles and I don't sign my name on something I don't honestly, fully believe in. I'm 100% convinced you have not listened to anything like the SE846, unless you have listened to one."
http://m.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se846-review-earphone-solutions.html?more=true

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,587 of 3,218
I found this review that sounds very interesting: "Far superior sound than the custom earphones both my wife and I own that cost over $1,200. So yes, the argument about: "for that price I can get a custom" does not stick. Good luck getting the same experience and sound quality from a custom. It won't happen.The SE846 and its low pass filter have nothing to do with a "custom" earphones where you are basically paying a premium because they were made after your ear canal mold but nothing really exciting going on inside that sanded vinyl piece.

Aside from the fact that you cannot resell your custom earphones. Furthermore, the SE846 is NOT about adding more drivers and putting a higher price tag on it. It's about delivering an experience and sound quality that you do not have from anything else being manufactured out there. Nothing comes close to the sound of the SE846. I'm very careful with what I write. I know thousands of our customers are hardcore audiophiles and I don't sign my name on something I don't honestly, fully believe in. I'm 100% convinced you have not listened to anything like the SE846, unless you have listened to one."
http://m.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se846-review-earphone-solutions.html?more=true

:rolleyes:

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,588 of 3,218
Quote:
I found this review that sounds very interesting: "Far superior sound than the custom earphones both my wife and I own that cost over $1,200. So yes, the argument about: "for that price I can get a custom" does not stick. Good luck getting the same experience and sound quality from a custom. It won't happen. The SE846 and its low pass filter have nothing to do with a "custom" earphones where you are basically paying a premium because they were made after your ear canal mold but nothing really exciting going on inside that sanded vinyl piece. Aside from the fact that you cannot resell your custom earphones. Furthermore, the SE846 is NOT about adding more drivers and putting a higher price tag on it. It's about delivering an experience and sound quality that you do not have from anything else being manufactured out there. Nothing comes close to the sound of the SE846. I'm very careful with what I write. I know thousands of our customers are hardcore audiophiles and I don't sign my name on something I don't honestly, fully believe in. I'm 100% convinced you have not listened to anything like the SE846, unless you have listened to one."

You haven't spent too much time on this thread, have you? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,589 of 3,218
Quote:

When my JH16 pro's arrive I'll see how good my "luck" is at getting the same sound quality. In fact I'll go out of my way to find some SE846's to compare with.

Second point, I don't know what you're talking about with your "sanded vinyl", since most CIEM's are made from Acrylic and Silicone. As far as there's nothing exciting going on in CIEM's, I'd like to see you fit 8 BA drivers in an earpiece and have them be phase coherent.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,590 of 3,218
We're talking about a review written by an earphone dealer who literally had 3 (three) minutes with the e846 and then wrote something people have been making fun of for weeks now.

So, no need for jimmies to be rustled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back