Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Feb 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,506 of 3,218
Of the last three (or so) 846 "competitors" mentioned in this thread lately, none are isolating. Maybe it's just me, but if I didn't need an isolating earphone, I would've bought an Audeze LCD (something or another-2,3,X) and been done with it.
You're pointing out something very important that sometimes got lost in the discussion: Not all the headphones iems are the same, I mean, different technologies and design approach. For example the RE600 is more like the IE800 than the SE846, it's dynamic single driver vs. balanced armature multi driver. In some way is like comparing a Hummer with a Porche. In the case of the SE846 it's the IEM that has the more extended bass response (their new technology of low pass filter), something that even some people dislike, but also being a multi driver it doesn't has so coherent and open sound than the dynamic single driver, but at the same time the single driver's have a physical limitation to reproduce ultra low bass. I think that any of them has a great sound quality but some people likes more one or the other or its best for their expectations. If you have so much money to spend, so much that you simply ask for "the best" without checking the tag price this discussion is non sense, you only need to hear from the sales person "this is the best". But if you are interested in SQ and all that stuff... then better make some research to buy something that works well for you. For example I think that nobody will recommend the HE6 as on-the-go headphone...
This is a hobby, enjoy it!

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,508 of 3,218
I've had an “open-back” earphone (the IE8) for almost 5 years,  and other than pulling it out (every now and then) for a comparative listen, I don't have any use for it. I'm not going to drive in city traffic, do outside work, or run errands with my IE8 on. In those situations, I need to focus and monitor my environment. These days, I jog in front of the big screen with surround sound.

In the big truck on the open road (which is like kicking back in a lounge chair), I have the 846 (which turns engine and wind noise into a faint whisper). And then the music plays.....

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,511 of 3,218
I see that you're from Chicago too! I should consider the HE6 cos I've been late for work for missing the notifications of the train changing to Express while using the SE846... :)

Oh yeah. Good stuff this Chicago. Minus the snow and temps...

Being in Chicago also makes me that much more tempted to look into the Sensaphonics custom sleeves. They are right on Milwaukee Ave. 

Open headphones in public's time has come. And as another poster mentioned, HE-6s should be a perfect match for an iPhone. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #2,513 of 3,218
RE-600 : 400$

SE846 : 1000$

K3003:  1300$

i have a feeling , hifiman's bang-for-buck ratio kinda destroys the other 2 - in other words , someone is paying too much money well because he has a lot of money to spend....

Says the guy who doesn't own any of those 3

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #2,515 of 3,218
Oh yeah. Good stuff this Chicago. Minus the snow and temps...

Being in Chicago also makes me that much more tempted to look into the Sensaphonics custom sleeves. They are right on Milwaukee Ave. 

Open headphones in public's time has come. And as another poster mentioned, HE-6s should be a perfect match for an iPhone. 
I already have my custom sleeves from Sensaphonics. It's walking distance from work. Love them! Highly recommended!
I've been thinking and I'm gonna mood my EF-6 to connect it to a car battery and stuff a backpack with it an a Sonos bridge to stream music to a HE6... All the system controlled by my smartphone! Goosebumps... :wink:

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,516 of 3,218
So, just yesterday I ordered these.  The steep price made me instantly feel a twinge of regret.  Right away!  Maybe it was a stab.  Ahhh!  Oh well, hopefully their performance soothes it away.  Went with the 3-day shipping, so it won't be long.

I have long been satisfied with my my formerly high-end (now midrange?) gear.  Minibox E+, Ety ER-4P IEMs (with the S switch and bass boost on, usually), and a pair of Beyer DT880 full-sizers.  I was determined to be satisfied for years more to come.  I hadn't been here much over the past few years and my upgraditis had (mostly) receded.  Then the Etys broke (my fault, btw).  Oh noes!  My first thought was to just replace them with another pair of ER4s.  But no.  I had to go looking around to see what's come onto the scene since I last checked.  So many IEMs have been introduced that I quickly became overwhelmed with potential research.  I could see getting lost in it forever and never reaching a decision.  Meanwhile, you know, trees grow and die, tectonic plates drift, and life generally goes by.  So I decided to rule out a huge swath of potential candidates to replace my beloved Etys.  I figured I'd reduce my research time and cut the potentially-resurgent upgraditis off at the knees by going straight to the top.  And, perhaps ironically, I would save money in the long term; one great IEM rather than a long succession of lesser models.  I know I am weak.

So, I ordered the Shures from Earphone Solutions and even took advantage of the ongoing deal for a free set of PFE122s.  Is it absurd to think of a $120 pair of 'phones as your casual "just-push'em-in-the-pocket" set?

Shall I do an SE846 vs. PFE122 comparo/smackdown?  I'll tell you, if the 122s don't get shamed, I'm going to be pretty embarrassed.  

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #2,517 of 3,218

Well I believe many people are not used to hearing bass and much less Sub-Bass so you might notice this new sound coming from the ETy.

Yes, I imagine it will be quite different.  Long ago, I owned a set of UM2s and loved the bass thump they were able to deliver.  But I could just never coax enough detail out of them and much preferred the Etys.  I could equalize the Etys like a madman and make them get sorta close to the UM2-style bass, but never truly give it as much authority.  I'm hoping/expecting the 846 to give me the sound I want, or something really close to it.  I read up on a lot of other high-end UIEMs and it sounded like the 846 would be the best choice for me.

I believe it was you who said, in another thread, that the 846 delivers more than neutral bass as a way of delivering the feel of bass in live music.  This is exactly what I want.  I don't want it to be overwhelming, but a little "boosted" bass might actually present bass more naturally.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #2,518 of 3,218
That sounds just about perfect to me!  

I'm a fan of Bad Company, too.  Paul Rodgers has one of the best rock'n'roll voices of them all.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,519 of 3,218

RE-600 : 400$
SE846 : 1000$
K3003:  1300$

i have a feeling , hifiman's bang-for-buck ratio kinda destroys the other 2 - in other words , someone is paying too much money well because he has a lot of money to spend....

I think the SE846 isn't much less of a bang for the buck quite honestly.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 17, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #2,520 of 3,218
I think the SE846 isn't much less of a bang for the buck quite honestly.

I agree. Have owned the ie800 before the SE846 and taking Daniel's comparison of the AKG 3003 to the SE846 as gospel, I would say the SE846 is the best of the three. I think the ie800 is a close second for sound but with proprietary eartips and fixed cables (which still mystifies me coming from the ie80) the SE846 is the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back