Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Aug 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,832 of 3,218
This is just a piece of device from me. Filter changing do help. Cables do help. 

@jelt2359: I am using it with the Alo Audio National Amp with a iBasso Copper LOD Connector and also a Null Audio Arete Cable, source being the iPhone 4S.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,833 of 3,218
Quote:
What a pity that I did not try changing cable or even thought about how cable could have change the sound before selling it off.

Well many here did not agree with me on the effect of cables.... so maybe you didn't miss much there.  Any insight as to why selling them?

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,834 of 3,218
Quote:
This is just a piece of device from me. Filter changing do help. Cables do help. 

@jelt2359: I am using it with the Alo Audio National Amp with a iBasso Copper LOD Connector and also a Null Audio Arete Cable, source being the iPhone 4S.

Didn't you plan to sell off the National? Does it really have as much synergy with the Shures as I've heard?

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,837 of 3,218
Quote:
I compared it to the W4 for the last time and it sounded edgy, thin, 2-D. I have no idea what was going on for my last impressions, all I know now is that Im a happy man.

And a Shure SE846 owner.

Oops, that escalated quickly! 
wink_face.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,838 of 3,218
Didn't you plan to sell off the National? Does it really have as much synergy with the Shures as I've heard?

Well I think I'm satisfied with them for now and would keep them. Didn't really compare national vs iPhone but I think if I can't spot cable differences, amp differences would be pretty obvious.

I think next would be the upgrade my amp maybe in 2 year's time to a more portable and better sounding one as the national is a bulky stack but it would suffice for now.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,839 of 3,218
Quote:

Well many here did not agree with me on the effect of cables.... so maybe you didn't miss much there.  Any insight as to why selling them?

I would agree with you to a certain extent ... I have to admit the stock cables are kinda crappy ... could hear a significant audible difference after changing it to my fiio rc-se1 ... its pretty cheap but really satisfied with it .... I later went to try some other cables ... some of which cost 6 times more but frankly I could not hear any difference ... however cables that used gold do have audible difference ... they sound bad IMO... just in case you guys are wondering it was some what a blind test cos I never asked about the material till I ended my test .... and gold sounded bad .... coincidence that is for you guys to decide. :)

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,841 of 3,218
Gla
I would agree with you to a certain extent ... I have to admit the stock cables are kinda crappy ... could hear a significant audible difference after changing it to my fiio rc-se1 ... its pretty cheap but really satisfied with it .... I later went to try some other cables ... some of which cost 6 times more but frankly I could not hear any difference ... however cables that used gold do have audible difference ... they sound bad IMO... just in case you guys are wondering it was some what a blind test cos I never asked about the material till I ended my test .... and gold sounded bad .... coincidence that is for you guys to decide. :)

Glad I'm not the only one who finds gold to sound bad.... I'd take copper over gold..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back