Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #61 of 4,022

Quote:
(Pianist...are you checking this thread out?)  Your beloved SE530's have gotten even better!

Macedonian Hero....nice review!

So it is not my imagination!  A bigger soundstage and a bit more treble.  That's exactly what SE530 needed.  It made a great IEM even better.  Can no longer say that W3 is surely "better"...only different.

I dunno, they may have ruined his 'perfect' signature.  
wink_face.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #62 of 4,022

Quote:
So it is not my imagination!  A bigger soundstage and a bit more treble.  That's exactly what SE530 needed.  It made a great IEM even better.  Can no longer say that W3 is surely "better"...only different.

I don't think it's your imagination Spyro...the sound stage is definitely better and I would no longer consider the treble to be "rolled off". And to confirm, the Westone 3s are slightly better IMO over the SE530s, but NOT better than the SE535s...only different 
wink.gif
(fun vs. balanced).

BTW, with my FiiO E5, the sound stage is even bigger than out of my iPod Classic (160 Gb version).

Construction/fit wise, the SE535s do top the Westone 3s. Nothing beats the olives for non-custom IEMs.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #65 of 4,022

Quote:
They changed some minor details on the 530's sound signature according to Shure.  Just being cynical.

Oh...that's kind of what I'm hearing as well, but all for the better IMO. The rolled off treble is no where as obvious and the sound stage did improve. Not to mention...the cables and construction are pretty major improvements.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #66 of 4,022
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #68 of 4,022
the clear casing and detachable cable are tempting as it is....

thought of a bigger soundstage makes me want to force my SE530s into retirement

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #70 of 4,022
Peter you always write great impressions and reviews. I would be very interested in a comparison with the 535 and the RE Zero. As both are improved, even if slightly. On the verge of being too sweet without ever getting there. The new pricing would be a hurdle though. This is where the RE Zero would be a great IEM to fight it out with the Shure.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #73 of 4,022
What's the price in the US? Because here in Europe, they are unreasonably expensive (around 530€, that is 660$) whereas other high end phones like SM3 (which is supposedly better) costs around 350€ and the IE8 can be had for 170€.
Shure could have done some work on the sound for the price asked...if it's not the case!

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #74 of 4,022

Quote:
What's the price in the US? Because here in Europe, they are unreasonably expensive (around 530€, that is 660$) whereas other high end phones like SM3 (which is supposedly better) costs around 350€ and the IE8 can be had for 170€.
Shure could have done some work on the sound for the price asked...if it's not the case!

Got mine for $435 at Earphone Solutions.  This includes a 15% promo discount they are running for a few more days.

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #75 of 4,022
The price seems high in Europe, because there seems to be very few of them in stock. As they are very difficult to get right now, the few retailers who stock them are likely to make you pay a premium for them. Anyway, based on the current $ vs € rate, the MSRP without VAT should be around 400 €, which usually translates into 499 € VAT incl. (at least in France where VAT for that kind of product is about 20%). That was the MSRP for SE530's when they were introduced. Westone 3's and UM3x's can be found at 375 € VAT incl., and in France IE8's street price is rather around 220 / 250 € VAT incl. (though MSRP is 299 € if I'm not mistaken). The third serious competitor, Earsonics SM3 is sold at 345 €. SE530's are at least 20% more expensive that their competition right now. That's not particularly shocking as they have just been introduced. I'd expect street price to drop to 400 / 450 € after the first few months depending on how popular they actually become.

Thanks to Macedonian for sharing his impressions. And thanks to Spyro again. I'm actually convinced but I'm gonna have to wait for my next trip to the US in about 6 weeks before I can get them. It's not like I'm without earphones in the meantime 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back