Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #18 of 4,022
Worked out with these this morning.  Because the cable is stiffer and more rugged than in the past there is more microphonics.  Other than that they stay in place just fine for me.

I forgot how good horns and guitars (that midrange) sound with these.  Really engaging....

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #19 of 4,022

Quote:
Worked out with these this morning.  Because the cable is stiffer and more rugged than in the past there is more microphonics.  Other than that they stay in place just fine for me.

Oh boy.....

At least Shure has the option of manufacturing a lighter duty cable w/ better microphonics as an option now.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #20 of 4,022
I'm seriously out of the loop as of late, so it is surprising to know that the SE535 is coming out soon.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 4,022

Quote:
Oh boy.....

At least Shure has the option of manufacturing a lighter duty cable w/ better microphonics as an option now.

LOL!  I honestly think that for those that never had any problem with the previous cable, this could almost be a step backwards.  Considering the price, it is very dissapointing that there is no change in SQ.  Quite the rip off actually with Westone charging about a $20 premium for their detachable cables.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #23 of 4,022

Quote:

LOL!  I honestly think that for those that never had any problem with the previous cable, this could almost be a step backwards.  Considering the price, it is very dissapointing that there is no change in SQ.  Quite the rip off actually with Westone charging about a $20 premium for their detachable cables.

I agree.  Its clear all their development time was spent on the Cable and maybe down-sizing the housing.  They obviously feel their sonic signature is perfect and needs no improvement.  For a top tier Shure IEM I humbly disagree w/ them.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 4,022
Not trying to be mean or anything but I will say it may end up being the most grossly overpriced IEM out there (for the time being) and will need to quickly drop to the $325 range to have a chance at selling many of them.  I will be sending mine back.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #25 of 4,022
Good review Spyro (as usual
smile.gif
). Turns out my wife ordered them yesterday for Father's Day for me. I think she forgot that I own the SE530s.

Oh well...my SE530s are now up for sale in the F/S forum if anyone is interested.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #26 of 4,022

Quote:
smile.gif
). Turns out my wife ordered them yesterday for Father's Day for me. I think she forgot that I own the SE530s.

Oh well...my SE530s are now up for sale in the F/S forum if anyone is interested.

Very nice wife!  I'd be thrilled to have something like that happen.  Consider yourself fortunate
regular_smile .gif

I'll break mine in for several more days to see if I change my mind any.  I may just need to have my daughter jump rope with the cable for a couple days to limber the thing up a little.  I'm sure it would not hurt it any.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 4,022
Bad timing on my part.  Just bought one from Australia for $215 shipped via EMS.  Oh well, it has the useless PTH anyway.

Quote:
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #28 of 4,022

Quote:

Very nice wife!  I'd be thrilled to have something like that happen.  Consider yourself fortunate
regular_smile%20.gif

I'll break mine in for several more days to see if I change my mind any.  I may just need to have my daughter jump rope with the cable for a couple days to limber the thing up a little.  I'm sure it would not hurt it any.

Now if you could jump rope w/ them while listening at the same time that would be a great product!  Assuming they work out the microphonics.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #29 of 4,022

Quote:

regular_smile%20.gif

Yeah, I'm a pretty lucky guy. 
biggrin.gif

Funny, she's the one who got me into this hobby as my home theater system sits unused beside me because "it's just too loud for her and the kids...especially after bedtime" which is normally 8:30pm.

I'm a big Shure SE530/5 fan and with the Westone 3s are the top 2 IEMs I've ever heard/owned. I do love their silky and forward mids...next to my T1s, they are the best I've heard.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 4,022
From a frequency response point of view, I didn't find the SE530 to be deficient of highs.  From my own testing, I found it to pretty flat and extended using a pink noise track to tune EQ, something I have done for basically every earphone I've owned.  However, when listening to music, the upper end treble does sound recessed.  From a general audio perspective, this tends to indicate more of a factor related not to output but to phase or distancing from the ear.  It seems to represent a time domain delay of audio information to the ear relative to lower frequencies.  It's merely a guess as I know no specifics to the actual design of the earphone, however it's the main effect of time delay when output levels are not the reason.  This kind of stuff is a natural byproduct of electronic crossovers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back