Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
May 1, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #3,513 of 4,022
How do the se535 sound with the fiio e18? Much better than staright out of a smartphone like samsung gs4?

Unfortunately se535 sounded better straight out of my Samsung GS3 than through the fiio e18. I reckon it's the amp section of the E18 that I wasn't happy with, but right now I'm pairing the E18 (for the dac) line-out to the Cayin C5 amp and it has improved my se535's sound tremendously to the point that I can now say I'm finally getting my value's worth (of the se535).

May 1, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #3,514 of 4,022
  Unfortunately se535 sounded better straight out of my Samsung GS3 than through the fiio e18. I reckon it's the amp section of the E18 that I wasn't happy with, but right now I'm pairing the E18 (for the dac) line-out to the Cayin C5 amp and it has improved my se535's sound tremendously to the point that I can now say I'm finally getting my value's worth (of the se535).

SE535 are a strange IEM, you wouldn't be the first to find their sound alter with different sources.

I think one of the best sources I found for them was Cowon J3.

May 1, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #3,516 of 4,022
My opinion after some time with the SE535-V, is that they are good, best IEM that ever had, but they don't amaze me. Specially considering that paid 380€ for them. Sure the sound out my Note 4 cannot be compared to my Schiit, the problem is that didn't buy this IEM to be sitting next to my home rig, maybe they are and just good, but had way to high expectations.

Not planning to sell them though, wish had the money for the SE846 back then, but would've had hate be in the same situation with even expensier IEM.

May 1, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #3,517 of 4,022
  right now I'm pairing the E18 (for the dac) line-out to the Cayin C5 amp and it has improved my se535's sound tremendously to the point that I can now say I'm finally getting my value's worth (of the se535).

The Cayin C5 does make the 535 sound more lively than usual, especially with rock music. Less pedantic somehow. Plus there's some really impressive synergy there soundstage-wise too. The 535 already has great soundstage and so does the C5. Together I can pinpoint what appear to be 1 mm distances between tom-tom strikes on the drums. Width is amazing, the extremes sound like their 4 cm outside my ears sometimes. And there's great depth too, distant things sound quite vast for an IEM.

The only problem is the C5s power + the Shures sensitivity.

Twice now I've accidentally hit gain, paniced, reached my pocket, yanked the mini cable and the headphone cable out. Dangerous for the ears, dangerous when you're out on the street with traffic, dangerous for the Shures too I'm afraid. I would love a super low gain setting on the c5.

and for me it is sony walkman A-10 ... and for the warmer sound it is fiio X3 

After hearing straight out an x3 and then out of a Cayin C5 + Fiio x3 combo, I really can't go back to just x3. It's just anemic and the soundstage is compact and somewhat ball-shaped. 

Also, really thinking of getting a pico slim to really hi-fi them up...

May 1, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #3,518 of 4,022
  Twice now I've accidentally hit gain, paniced, reached my pocket, yanked the mini cable and the headphone cable out. Dangerous for the ears, dangerous when you're out on the street with traffic, dangerous for the Shures too I'm afraid. I would love a super low gain setting on the c5.

I know that feeling because I've accidentally pushed the high gain instead of the bass gain and boy they are dangerously loud!

Perhaps Cayin can look into releasing something akin to what Fiio did with the E12A for IEMs.

May 1, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,519 of 4,022
The Cayin C5 does make the 535 sound more lively than usual, especially with rock music. Less pedantic somehow. Plus there's some really impressive synergy there soundstage-wise too. The 535 already has great soundstage and so does the C5. Together I can pinpoint what appear to be 1 mm distances between tom-tom strikes on the drums. Width is amazing, the extremes sound like their 4 cm outside my ears sometimes. And there's great depth too, distant things sound quite vast for an IEM.

The only problem is the C5s power + the Shures sensitivity.

After hearing straight out an x3 and then out of a Cayin C5 + Fiio x3 combo, I really can't go back to just x3. It's just anemic and the soundstage is compact and somewhat ball-shaped. 

Also, really thinking of getting a pico slim to really hi-fi them up...

So if i just bought the cayin c5 amp without a dac and plugged them into the gs4 would it sound as you described?

May 2, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #3,520 of 4,022
How are the se535 with class rock and indie rock?
I'm planning on getting them and using them with my amp and dac by Schiit Audio,
Then latter on getting the Ak120.

I was going to get the klipsch x7i or x11i,
But I got a tip that those arnt as good?

Thank you

May 2, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #3,521 of 4,022
They are perfect for classic and indie rock.

May 2, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #3,522 of 4,022

As stated above, great. The 535 can unravel even the thickest guitar walls. Take choruses, for example. It's an age old production technique to stuff a rock/indie chorus with delayed and overdriven chords. What is merely a deafening, fist-pumping effect with lesser phones is unraveled into specific guitar lines. A trained ear can make out specific guitar pedals, an untrained ear can follow the position of the guitar overdubs in the mix space. One track left and low, the other right and low, both just behind the ear, in the back of my mind. High screeching notes on top, more front. Drums still inhabit their own space even during the choru. I can even make out the reverb on the snare underneath the noise.

All I can suggest is maybe also considering the 846. I would, If I'd have a budget that includes the AK120. I would drop that money hungry monster in an instant. Get the new fiio x3k and a pico slim amp, stack them with fiio's own sexy stacking kit and plug in a pair of Shure 846.

I haven't heard the 846 myself, but the only thing I miss in rock and indie is sub-bass. However admirable the mids 525 are, they lack a bit of body. From what I hear the 846 has plenty and the mids are just as good, if not better than the 535. 

May 2, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #3,523 of 4,022

As stated above, great. The 535 can unravel even the thickest guitar walls. Take choruses, for example. It's an age old production technique to stuff a rock/indie chorus with delayed and overdriven chords. What is merely a deafening, fist-pumping effect with lesser phones is unraveled into specific guitar lines. A trained ear can make out specific guitar pedals, an untrained ear can follow the position of the guitar overdubs in the mix space. One track left and low, the other right and low, both just behind the ear, in the back of my mind. High screeching notes on top, more front. Drums still inhabit their own space even during the choru. I can even make out the reverb on the snare underneath the noise.

All I can suggest is maybe also considering the 846. I would, If I'd have a budget that includes the AK120. I would drop that money hungry monster in an instant. Get the new fiio x3k and a pico slim amp, stack them with fiio's own sexy stacking kit and plug in a pair of Shure 846.

I haven't heard the 846 myself, but the only thing I miss in rock and indie is sub-bass. However admirable the mids 525 are, they lack a bit of body. From what I hear the 846 has plenty and the mids are just as good, if not better than the 535. 

Great words. And yes as said before SE535 has never surprised me, but nevertheless I like them, yet I'm sure SE846 would've had been better, but can't excuse such price to my wife (those married maybe know what I mean) :wink:

May 2, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #3,525 of 4,022
Has anyone used Shure for Astell and Kern?
On their site they recomened the se425 with the ak120, then a video recommed the se535.
But the klipsch x7i has higher Ohms,
Would the se425 be good?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back