Show us your vintage headphones!
May 4, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,681 of 3,130
  That seems to be more and more the norm for decent vintage phones.
frown.gif

According to Vid (who seems to have disappeared from the vintage scene) the Unipolars absolutely need modding otherwise they're just not worth the bother.

I think the same can be said for most vintage headphones to be honest, but often inexperienced users get excited by their first vintage headphone sounding SO much better than their apple earbuds or whatever, and it gets super hyped instead of put into the correct context and compared to modern GOOD headphones.

May 4, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,682 of 3,130
  According to Vid (who seems to have disappeared from the vintage scene) the Unipolars absolutely need modding otherwise they're just not worth the bother.

I think the same can be said for most vintage headphones to be honest, but often inexperienced users get excited by their first vintage headphone sounding SO much better than their apple earbuds or whatever, and it gets super hyped instead of put into the correct context and compared to modern GOOD headphones.

Exactly.   The vintage game is one of overcoming aged materials and poor damping which was (and in some cases still is today) the norm. The sad part is that if prices keep rising there is going to be no motivation for a newb to try a pair over those apple earclods.

Are we talking the electret or Electrostat Unipolars?  I suppose both would require a mod considering that donut enclosure though.

May 4, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,683 of 3,130

Exactly.   The vintage game is one of overcoming aged materials and poor damping which was (and in some cases still is today) the norm. The sad part is that if prices keep rising there is going to be no motivation for a newb to try a pair over those apple earclods.

Are we talking the electret or Electrostat Unipolars?  I suppose both would require a mod considering that donut enclosure though.

Wait... there are electret unipolars?
I thought it was just a stat?

May 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,684 of 3,130
Sorry, my error. I have two threads confused for some reason. I was thinking of the Audiotec's which were made in both flavours back when.

May 4, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,685 of 3,130
  Sorry, my error. I have two threads confused for some reason. I was thinking of the Audiotec's which were made in both flavours back when.

No worries :D
At one point some time ago I was convinced the Panasonic HD-10 was a dual driver headphone... but I was reading about those JVC's on the same day - had them totally mixed up in my head 
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #1,686 of 3,130
  No worries :D
At one point some time ago I was convinced the Panasonic HD-10 was a dual driver headphone... but I was reading about those JVC's on the same day - had them totally mixed up in my head 
biggrin.gif

Ha Ha! I blame NickN, he continously inundates me with rare and exotic phones so I get confused.

May 5, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #1,687 of 3,130
Ha Ha! I blame NickN, he continously inundates me with rare and exotic phones so I get confused.

Then we're united on this front!
I just did a big trade with him... a few exoti-phones coming my way... and no doubt all the confusion that goes with it 
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #1,688 of 3,130
  Then we're united on this front!
I just did a big trade with him... a few exoti-phones coming my way... and no doubt all the confusion that goes with it 
biggrin.gif

Awesome! I will look forward to seeing what you wind up with then.

May 9, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,689 of 3,130
So, just tested the Unipolar 2002 and they work beautifully. 
No imbalance, no Phase issues, they just work perfectly, I wasn't expecting them that considering the age. 

Here's the wiring - 

HER2000X - 

Left Channel 

+ : White 
- : Yellow 

Right Channel  

+ : Green 
- : Red

The Loudspeaker-Headphone switch was indeed broken, I CA Glued it to permanently keep it depressed as I have no business with the Loudspeaker switch and will use Headphones most of the time. 

Even the Distortion LEDs work. 

May 22, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,692 of 3,130
Fairly good considering the age and sponge ear pads.

These have a large mid-bass hump which makes it all the more surprising how good the bass texture is.
It does bleed into the mids unfortunately.
Treble is very rolled off.

After making an EQ scoop between 100-800hz, it's clear just how deep the bass goes and how detailed it is.
This is almost shockingly good for a vintage dynamic in that regard.
Too bloated, but nicely textured after EQ.

It's certainly not mid or hifi material by modern standards, but will give a number of vintage dynamics a run for their money.
It won't however touch the likes of a Sony DR-Z6, DT880M or K141/240 for example.

After EQ the timbre is actually fairly good, well balanced, relaxed and smooth.
Upper mids and especially treble just don't have enough energy or dynamics for any genre of music.

May 22, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,693 of 3,130
Make a diabolically good transplant home for some killer drivers though:)

May 23, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,694 of 3,130
I'd love to agree with you.. but while they look absolutely stunning on their own, they look absolutely ridiculous when worn! 
floatsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back