Show us your vintage headphones!
Mar 2, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,638 of 3,130
Oh man .
If I am correct there is something amazing in there now. What a great looking industrial design, and from way back also.

Hows the sound on the amazing new installation?

Oh and those pads look a little more inflated than normally seen . I have some of those exact pads on an older Columbia ( before they became Denon ) that was likely OEM'ed from Elega.
Some special secret to reveal there also?

So did you put the 1000 ohm stock drivers in a portable phone driven set
ph34r.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,639 of 3,130
are these any good

Stock they were meh, very typical vintage n-shaped sound but was very easy to listen to. Didn't bother damping them at all before doing my mod

Oh man .
If I am correct there is something amazing in there now. What a great looking industrial design, and from way back also.

Hows the sound on the amazing new installation?

Oh and those pads look a little more inflated than normally seen . I have some of those exact pads on an older Columbia ( before they became Denon ) that was likely OEM'ed from Elega.
Some special secret to reveal there also?

So did you put the 1000 ohm stock drivers in a portable phone driven set :ph34r:  

It was tedious cleaning up all the old decayed foam but it's totally worth it!

Much better than that installation was stock for sure. It just about makes up for having to get rid of the original installation's looks.

Those pads are stretched over a pair of modern pads. Did that to maintain the aesthetic cause it didn't affect the sound much if at all. Really helps with comfort too as well as sound.

Nah, I just left them as is cause I couldn't figure out what to do with them heh

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,641 of 3,130
Mar 16, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #1,642 of 3,130
Probably nothing special.

I certainly wouldn't spend anything close to £25 on them for example.

Looks like a generic paper cone, to me. Maybe 20$ just for parts is what I'd spend.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,643 of 3,130

Telefunken TH600

Had the itch to try these out for about two years after high praise from another headfier in another thread.
Now I'm thinking it was 'high' praise 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the headphone design has actual thought put into it, attention to detail and feels like a high quality thing. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,644 of 3,130

Telefunken TH600

Had the itch to try these out for about two years after high praise from another headfier in another thread.
Now I'm thinking it was 'high' praise 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the headphone design has actual thought put into it, attention to detail and feels like a high quality thing. 

Not to mention it looks like they had Dornier do the styling.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #1,647 of 3,130
SQ impressions? I find that my TH500s are OK on the end of an OTL tube amp...

BTW, how did you get them open without destroying the pads?

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,648 of 3,130
SQ impressions? I find that my TH500s are OK on the end of an OTL tube amp...

BTW, how did you get them open without destroying the pads?

I had it going through an Objective stack.
Sounds dreadful.
Boxy soundstage accentuated by the echoey cups.
Good positional cues due to angled drivers, but VERY narrow soundstage - everything is happening in your head.
Very poor frequency response - massive bass roll-off, peaks and valleys in the rest of the FR.
Timbre is plasticky/artificial - too many reflections in the cups.
Below average level of detail.

It's pretty much among the worst headphone I've ever heard, and I can't believe for a second that a miracle would occur if I drove it with another source.
The O2 is plenty to get a lot out of nearly every headphone, but no source can fix the massive FR problems and the horrible enclosures.  

The only reason I bought it was after seeing the hype for this line of headphones in the HD540 thread saying that it's better than the HD540.
I know everyone hears thing differently to a point, but this is just plain wrong. 

The earpads are stuck on with a sticky glue-like substance. They peeled off VERY easily, and stick right back on just as easily.
They're just like those inflated Koss earpads. Pretty cool, but prone to deflating and punctures.

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #1,649 of 3,130
I agree that the bass is non-existent if you don't have a perfect seal (difficult to achieve if you don't actually hold the cups to your head...). Maybe the pads are part of the problem (poor seal, highly reflective)? It's also likely that the act of holding the cups damps them somewhat!

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,650 of 3,130
Sharp HP-300

■ Price \ 4,500 
■ model dynamic type 
■ diaphragm 80mm 
■ Impedance 
■ playback frequency band 18-20,000Hz 
■ permissible input 300MW 
■ sensitivity 100DB 
■ code 2M 
■ weight 415G 
■ released from 1971 to 1973 years 
■ Discontinued 1975 
■ remarks opt It is taken over by the Nika brand 
with volume

Just go these from the Bay. Bought them from a guy in Hungary, mint condition. Sound is good for a Vintage headphone, this is the middel model from Sharp, there is a HP-400 as well 

burning in at the moment, but as I said good sounding phone for it´s age 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back