Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #10,711 of 41,298
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I've ordered my speaker rig but it hasn't arrived yet. I ordered a Leben 300XS and a pair of Harbeth HL5s a little over 2 weeks ago. Hoping we hear they ship next week but it could be a couple more weeks. 

Basically I've been without more than my laptop speakers for 2 weeks plus now. It's actually been genuinely effecting my life. The wife(ish) commented on my being a bit more irritable and moody lately and we both think that's the problem. 

As for the turntable...I still have it but the current analog rig will be for sale soon. I expect my tax return within 3 weeks and that combined with 2 paychecks in that time will be invested into a new phono stage and turntable. :D I've become quite dedicated to vinyl as a format and the new speaker rig will most likely not have a digital source run through it at all for awhile. I think I've pretty much decided on the new table and stage.

After those 2 upgrades I honestly think I'll be slowing down with big purchases for awhile. I'll want a new cart eventually, but the 20X has low hours and I really just have too much vinyl I want to buy right now to think about saving for another few months to get the cart I want. It's all about the music, after all.

EDIT: Though I will want to buy a set of headphones after I hear a bunch in March at the Texas meet. Thinking maybe a T1, but we'll see.

Quote:
MT, you went from 009's to speakers, i hope you are enjoying it! Do you have a full blown speaker rig atm? still have your turntable gear? Not going to lie there are a lot of times i look over at my headphones when my speakers are on and wonder why I still have headphones. I still use my headphones all day at work so they're useful there, and sometimes my speakers just cant pull out the technicalities or pure intimate joy the paradox/CTH can. 

Apologies if i'm clogging a picture thread.

~M

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #10,712 of 41,298
Well MT its very exciting anyways!

Be sure to post pics asap.

Suppose you've done the best of the best hp wise, so no-one can blame you for doing the speaker thing now.

As for hp's for the Leben... mmm? If I was going to buy a cheaper hp for casual listening that I'd not heard before, it'd probs be the DT880's.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #10,713 of 41,298
Quote:
Well I'm not much of a Head-fier anymore now that I've traded in my headphones for speakers, but I do still want to audition a few cans to pair with my incoming Leben 300 when I do need that intimate headphone listening.

As of now though I don't have a decent pair of cans to my name. D:

Man, I think I just got equipment whiplash. 
smile.gif
  Even with vinyl, you may need a couple of subs.  i know I do.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #10,714 of 41,298
^ ditto on the pictures and enjoy! 

~M

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #10,715 of 41,298
Don't worry, I've already started planning rearranging the room for the day they show up. Pics will be up quickly. Thought I need to order my stands from Skylan (my dealer said he'd just sell them to me at cost), I'll take pics whether they're on proper stands or not. 

The main deciding factor was when the wife(ish) was complaining about the headphones. She wasn't able to listen with me, and now that she actually cares about that, it was time to get speakers. We don't really half ass anything audio wise in my house, so trading the rig was the only way to go. :)

The 880s were a consideration, but the headphones will still get enough head time to warrant something like the T1. I won't be buying blind though. There should be a T1 at the March meet.

Quote:

Suppose you've done the best of the best hp wise, so no-one can blame you for doing the speaker thing now.

As for hp's for the Leben... mmm? If I was going to buy a cheaper hp for casual listening that I'd not heard before, it'd probs be the DT880's.

One of the main things I was looking for was a speaker that didn't need subs. We've got apartment living ahead of us for years to come and subs don't work too well with apartments. The Harbeths blew me away with their bass and absolutely obliterated the other speakers I had auditioned.

I don't think we need a sub anytime soon. Especially with our vinyl rig performing as well as it will in the low end.

Quote:
smile.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #10,716 of 41,298
Quote:
Don't worry, I've already started planning rearranging the room for the day they show up. Pics will be up quickly. Thought I need to order my stands from Skylan (my dealer said he'd just sell them to me at cost), I'll take pics whether they're on proper stands or not. 

The main deciding factor was when the wife(ish) was complaining about the headphones. She wasn't able to listen with me, and now that she actually cares about that, it was time to get speakers. We don't really half ass anything audio wise in my house, so trading the rig was the only way to go. :)

The 880s were a consideration, but the headphones will still get enough head time to warrant something like the T1. I won't be buying blind though. There should be a T1 at the March meet.

One of the main things I was looking for was a speaker that didn't need subs. We've got apartment living ahead of us for years to come and subs don't work too well with apartments. The Harbeths blew me away with their bass and absolutely obliterated the other speakers I had auditioned.

I don't think we need a sub anytime soon. Especially with our vinyl rig performing as well as it will in the low end.

I agree..big heavy powerfull subs dont go well in appartments as u have. Neighbours..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #10,717 of 41,298

Quote:

Quote:
smile.gif

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.  When you move into a house, you WILL be getting subs.  I've never heard Harbeths but physics is physics.  The 880's are nice enough but not game changers.  But, you knew that.  Best of luck.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #10,718 of 41,298
Yup. That's why I returned my QSC K10s...Those thing rock the house...and the neighbors weren't fond of them.

Littler different than the Harbeths though. One's a big, loud, booming stage monitor and the other is more about delicacy. :D

Quote:
I agree..big heavy powerfull subs dont go well in appartments as u have. Neighbours..
very_evil_smiley.gif

I honestly prefer condos (similar to apartment living) so we may never end up in a house. :D Nothing is a game changer headphone wise for me anymore. Just gotta find something that pairs well with the Leben. :wink:

Quote:
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.  When you move into a house, you WILL be getting subs.  I've never heard Harbeths but physics is physics.  The 880's are nice enough but not game changers.  But, you knew that.  Best of luck.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #10,719 of 41,298
I rented a brand new condo a few years ago, their first tenant in a new building.   Construction was great and soundproofing was amazing.  I was able to run a full 5.1 Martin Logan / Rotel system at pretty decent levels and the neighbours never complained.  When I ran into them, I asked if they heard the music and they said no.  If you get a good construction, you may be lucky with a full system.
Best of luck with the new system and Happy Listening!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I honestly prefer condos (similar to apartment living) so we may never end up in a house. :D Nothing is a game changer headphone wise for me anymore. Just gotta find something that pairs well with the Leben. :wink:

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #10,720 of 41,298
Do we have a speaker-fi or 2.1-fi section or thread here somewhere on head-fi? 

I also have a decent 5.1/2.1 setup. I have Infinity Alpha 50 front towers that are bi-amped by an older Yamaha RX-V2500, along with a 600 watt RMS Epik Sentinel 12" ported subwoofer. The towers are front-ported dual 8" woofers, a 5 1/4" mid, and 1" tweeter. For music they are crossed at 40hz, and the sub handles 40hz and lower. My room is setup to be very symmetrical so imaging and sound-stage is spot on when sitting in the sweet spot. The only thing this system lacks is room treatments to reduce ringing and reflections, but It's not an option here. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #10,722 of 41,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back