Show us your dog!
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,066 of 1,116
It's amazing to me how so many people don't understand that many dogs were bred for specific characteristics and behaviors. The often maligned Pit Bulls were literally bred to bite and hold so when they naturally do that to something other than a bull, the owner usually gets the blame. Sometimes it is the case that the human made things worse but not in all cases. Do people "blame" a Border Collie for instinctually herding sheep? It's the same thing with any other breed.

I'm very happy to see someone who actually researches their breed of choice and clearly cares about that and takes steps to minimize potential problems. Most people just buy a dog because they like how it looks or maybe how it makes them (the human) appear.
Yeah, back when Frazier was popular on TV, the popularity of Jack Russell Terriers skyrocketed. Little did many new owners realize that terriers are prolific ratters, diggers and quite high strung in general. Of course, once the novelty of owning the Frazier dog wore off, many Jack Russels ended up in shelters,sadly.

I'm unabashedly ANTI-AKC, as they take breeds and ruin them by forcing breeders to breed based upon looks rather than preserving the breeds intended use and nature. The Cane Corso is just the latest example of a breed that has been destroyed by the AKC.

Neither of our dogs are recognized by the AKC, and that was by design.

Taranis with his sister, Lakota, an English Shepherd. Very similar disposition to border collies.

20231013_175004.jpg

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #1,067 of 1,116
Yeah, back when Frazier was popular on TV, the popularity of Jack Russell Terriers skyrocketed. Little did many new owners realize that terriers are prolific ratters, diggers and quite high strung in general. Of course, once the novelty of owning the Frazier dog wore off, many Jack Russels ended up in shelters,sadly.

I'm unabashedly ANTI-AKC, as they take breeds and ruin them by forcing breeders to breed based upon looks rather than preserving the breeds intended use and nature. The Cane Corso is just the latest example of a breed that has been destroyed by the AKC.

Taranis with his sister, Lakota, an English Shepherd. Very similar disposition to border collies.

20231013_175004.jpg
The same thing happened with Huskies during Game of Thrones. Those aren't dogs for everyone and as with the JRTs, many ended up in shelters or even abandoned.

Oct 27, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #1,070 of 1,116

20231013_175004.jpg
How about the UKC?

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,071 of 1,116
How about the UKC?
I believe the UKC recognizes both of the breeds I have, Presa Canario and English Shepherd, but don't quote me on that. If that is indeed true, then I can only speculate what the ramifications are. Both the Presa and ES are working dogs, and their working purpose remain intact within these two breeds.

I mean, the biggest dog show in the States, and perhaps the world is the Westmininister, which is an AKC event. When a dog wins Best in group, class or show @ Westminister, it's puppies will command thousands, if not tens of thousands, regardless of whether or not the winning dog retains its breed's character and purpose.

When I had my Corso back in the nineties, the AKC did not recognize the Cane Corso, only ARBA (American Rare Breed Association) did. The Corsos back then were a massive, big boned, block headed, hands off breed, in other words, judges knew better than to come within striking distance of a Corso. If the judge wanted to observe your dog's bite for example, he or she would ask you to open the dog's mouth for them, and they would observe from a safe distance. The AKC AFAIK, does not have any breeds that are "hands off", so in order to get AKC recognition for the Cane Corso, AKC dictated to breeders what they wanted in the breed, one of which was a more streamlined looking dog, with less dewlap and to be able to have judges be able to handle the dog as they saw fit. At that point, breeders began introducing Boxers into the Corso gene pool, which is why Corsos today look like overgrown boxers, they have smaller heads, less dewlap, less bone mass, shorter snout, and worst of all, Corsos today now are at high risk of epilepsy, which is a Boxer trait, and was never a Corso trait prior to the AKC getting involved.
The Italians blame the Americans for the x-breeding of boxers and corsos, and the Americans blame the Italians. We'll probably never know for sure, but the damage has already been done. The breed has been destroyed.

When I was in the market for another big dog I wanted another Corso, but trying to find a non-boxerized dog was damn near impossible so I had to start from scratch and find another breed that suited our needs, hence the Presa.

There are other breeds, such as the Tosa Inu, Fila Brasileiro, Boerboel (i think) Alabai, Bully Kutta, Caucasian Ovcharka and many others that the AKC hasn't ruined yet, and all of those dogs AFAIK are all hands off breeds, meaning they absolutely will not tolerate a stranger poking them, touching them, examining their teeth, etc...all things that the AKC requires of a breed prior to official recognition.

I believe all or most of those breeds are recognized by the UKC, but again, don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #1,073 of 1,116
The UKC does not allow breeding within 3 generations - so they are certainly better than the AKC, but a dog can be both. Boxers, Dobies, Dalmatians and many other breeds were hammered into the ground due to buyer demand. I always like the more unusual breeds like Bullmastiffs, Mastiffs, Beaucerons, etc. since they tend not to be overbred. Of course the wife had to have a Golden to replace our Red Bone/Plott, but at least I got a red one w/ UKC papers which is a little less denatured (hunting lines) than some of local couch potato types. Of course he hunts small game: mice, chipmunks, toads for the most part...

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,074 of 1,116
Willie on this mornings walk, followed by Willie after breakfast:

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpeg
    IMG_1695.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,075 of 1,116
I'm a 5AM riser and my bestie always stays close when I'm doing morning news with my coffee :wink: Helps keep my toes warm too:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
IMG_5927.jpeg

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #1,078 of 1,116
Turkey dinners over and Amy anxious is in full speed out with the old and in with the new which translates for me the “Honey Do” weekend whilst it sets her off to Black Friday :rolling_eyes: The good news is “Tree Guard” activated:wink:

IMG_6068.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back