"Should I rip my CDs to my PC?"
Oct 30, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #106 of 165
The one thing I will say about having a paid (basic 9.99 a month Spotify account for me) streaming account is it allows me to preview stuff you're interested in. And of course, there's free YouTube videos of jazz musician's recordings, so...

Wow that's outrageous pricing. Here I pay $5.99 for scamazon HD, $10.77 equivalent for Deezer Hifi, and $12.89 equivalent for Tidal Hifi Plus. They all have hires, and the last two have bitperfect desktop apps. All are bitperfect over my Bluesound boxes.

Spotify is lossy and not bitperfect, tremendous ripoff at that price.

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #107 of 165
Yeah, I'm now more 70's Jazz, Rock, R&B, Disco. But mainly Jazz of late, especially Miles Davis, and why you saw a lot of his stuff. I've had some of his stuff, but I'm just now "getting into him".

I see you missed > this post showing my setup :relaxed:

(Teac UD-503)
Handsome setup! And not many people have a pair of HD 700s. Niiiice.

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #108 of 165
Wow that's outrageous pricing. Here I pay $5.99 for scamazon HD, $10.77 equivalent for Deezer Hifi, and $12.89 equivalent for Tidal Hifi Plus. They all have hires, and the last two have bitperfect desktop apps. All are bitperfect over my Bluesound boxes.

And last but not least Qobuz at $10.83 per month with annual subscription, lossless, high-res, bit-perfect app.
Countries where it's available. Sorry, no Czech Republic, yet.

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #109 of 165
The one thing I will say about having a paid (basic 9.99 a month Spotify account for me) streaming account is it allows me to preview stuff you're interested in. And of course, there's free YouTube videos of jazz musician's recordings, so...

BTW, what Panasonic is that amp is that? Panasonic certainly made some great audio equipment back in the day. BTW, I also still have my Technics SL D303 (1981) but it's been packed away for years. Also have a Denon DP-47F turntable (1993), but it too is currently packed away.

It's a Pioneer Sa-8500 that i got 2 months ago and i'm extremely surprised at it's sound quality compared to a lot of newer alternatives, it sounds equally or better. In fact, i started to use my headphones on it and it sounds better than my Fiio K7 amplifier.

Didn't know that Tidal was cheaper than Spotify but here the difference in price is lower; 129 mxn pesos on Spotify and 115 mxn pesos on Tidal, but Spotify doesn't offer hi-res audio.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #110 of 165
Yeah, older receivers are a much better match for dynamic headphones. In those days there were no dedicated headamps, everything was designed to run off a receiver.

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #111 of 165

1) I have zero need for hi-res files as I don't use Spotify as my main listening source. I thought I made that clear. 2) Spotify has proven to have the music I look for in the categories I listen to - there was something I was looking for that Amazon didn't have, but Spotify did; and why I ended up with Spotify. 3) No matter what price I posted, someone would poo-poo it, so.... BTW, my plan is their Premium Plan. And since I'm a student, I qualify for their student plan - 5.99 a month.

And please don't FUD me on how cheap Amazon's music streaming service is, cause....

Amazon music service price.jpg

2023-10-30_21-20-05.jpg

And I'm a Prime Member!!!

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #112 of 165
It's a Pioneer Sa-8500 that i got 2 months ago and i'm extremely surprised at it's sound quality compared to a lot of newer alternatives, it sounds equally or better. In fact, i started to use my headphones on it and it sounds better than my Fiio K7 amplifier.
Yeah, some of those older amps and receivers are still very good today, especially if they used quality parts of the day.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #114 of 165
My Dad has a Denon DP-57f, with ortofon 2m red catridge - i love it
My last cartridge was a Grado Gold. Unfortunately, my wife decided to do me a "favor" by dusting the turntable... and ended up pulling the tip off the needle. Of course, I was mad as hell. Anyway, since I'm more into CDs now, and wasn't using the turntable much then, I just packed it away. It still needs a cartridge.

This is a B&W photo of the turntable with stock moving coil cartridge. BTW, being a photographer, this was the first photo I ever sold. Had many after; not so much now.

music, please.jpg

Anyway, I'm not aware of a Denon DP-57F, I know of the L, and M models, but not "F". Can't even find it via Googe - "Denon DP-57F Turntable."

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #115 of 165
Anytime you have critical information, you'd want to back that up. That's a given. And why I intimated it above. Regardless of the method used.

And yes, offsite backups are also a viable solution, but one needs to also consider the amount of storage they wish to backup, the cost of service, and their upload speeds allowed by their internet service provider. Example my upload speed from my ISP is only 10 meg per second so it would take quite a few hours to back up my 2TB of music files. However, once that's done, than backups are quicker as you'd only have to backup the changes / additions. On the other end is download speed and what the offsite provider allows. Example with Carbonite, which I had, you could only download a limited amount of data per session so if you have 4TB of data as I did, you could not download it all at once. If you wanted that, you could ask the company to send you a disk drive with all your data for $90 bucks.

Anyway, regardless of method it is always prudent to backup. For me, besides backups, I still have the original CDs. And since I can't account for every "what if" in the universe I just rely on what I have before me.
Yepp backed entire 40! Terabytes of data to Jottacloud when they had unlimited backup, unfortunately they've reduced backup speeds for us data hoarders. So now not useable. But still have 40! TB backed up in the cloud. Agree with 3-2-1 strategy. Have important vids and photos backed up on one pc via raid 1 (well large hdd array with Windows storage spaces, now nearing 60 TB) and then online. Still looking to create a backup server here with space for 20hdd's, so theoretically up to 400 TB's or something. As well most photos are backed up on google photos, and vids on youtube. A few catastrophes taught me that. So no can't have too much backup! Backblaze looks good as do others. Ripped all my cd's a while ago, many are not available or have gone out of print. Have them all now on pc and mobile. Flacs. But takes a bit of storage on mobile, 50 gb! Only criteria for new mobile was lots of storage! So a cheap oneplus mobile with 256gb! And headphone out! Works fine! 1/4 the cost of an iphone or samsung!

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #116 of 165
I ripped my whole collection to my computer in ALAC files with iTunes almost ten years ago. I have been buying my music digitally for the most part, ever since (the only exception being some jazz in CD form).

So, my whole music collection is on my desktop, laptop, phone, iPod and Sony DAP.
To this day, I am still super pumped about having my whole collection in my pocket! :thumbsup:
Yepp see that ripped my whole collection of cd's (400 or so) to flac and have it now on my mobile. Many of them are out of print or not searcheable any more, not on Tidal or Spotify. They just disappear.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #117 of 165
Well this is an old thread, things have changed a lot since. Since 2014 for example I'm on fiber internet with 500/500 upload/download speeds, and a lot of forum members besides. Was on 1000/1000 (gigabit upload/download) but I downgraded to get tv. Even these days, most people will get 150-250 mbps on their mobile. Unless you live in the sticks! If you're on fiber though, perfectly reasonable speeds. Unless you live in Australia (3rd world country when it comes to internet! Cranky aussie expat here!). But in most metropolitan places, fiber is everywhere as well as 5g so speed is not an issue.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #118 of 165
Yepp backed entire 40! Terabytes of data to Jottacloud when they had unlimited backup, ...
One of the things I control in backup strategies is hoarding. If I find data that's no longer useful, I delete it. I also don't back up anything I can easily get elsewhere. With that, in my 25-years of PC ownership my total backup is less than 12TB, of which 70 percent is media files. I also keep a small thumb drive of my most critical files at a secure location.

I do backup my music files, but that's more about "I don't want to go through the process of ripping 2700 CDs again" as opposed to being lost due to a drive failure. BTW, my entire CD collection of 2700+ CDs in uncompressed FLAC files is only 1.5TB storage space.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #119 of 165
My last cartridge was a Grado Gold. Unfortunately, my wife decided to do me a "favor" by dusting the turntable... and ended up pulling the tip off the needle. Of course, I was mad as hell. Anyway, since I'm more into CDs now, and wasn't using the turntable much then, I just packed it away. It still needs a cartridge.

This is a B&W photo of the turntable with stock moving coil cartridge. BTW, being a photographer, this was the first photo I ever sold. Had many after; not so much now.

Anyway, I'm not aware of a Denon DP-57F, I know of the L, and M models, but not "F". Can't even find it via Googe - "Denon DP-57F Turntable."
I feel your pain.

Back in about 2004 or so when I had some $ and the wife did not clean, our hired housecleaner "dusted" the stereo setup and demolished the cantilever (shank) on a really nice Ortofon moving coil in my turntable setup.

It was not more than months later that I started dabbling in digital audio, first with Sonos then Mac based computer audio. And the result was my $2500 CD player and the vinyl setup got dethroned, even though the Mac was running into a Benchmark Dac.

Anyhow, sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #120 of 165
Well this is an old thread, things have changed a lot since. Since 2014 for example I'm on fiber internet with 500/500 upload/download speeds, and a lot of forum members besides. Was on 1000/1000 (gigabit upload/download) but I downgraded to get tv. Even these days, most people will get 150-250 mbps on their mobile. Unless you live in the sticks! If you're on fiber though, perfectly reasonable speeds. Unless you live in Australia (3rd world country when it comes to internet! Cranky aussie expat here!). But in most metropolitan places, fiber is everywhere as well as 5g so speed is not an issue.
I think you have my thread confused with another??? This thread (mine) was started in Jan of 2023 :wink:

2023-10-31_03-22-40.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back