Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jun 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #3,211 of 4,593
Quote:

Isolating enough to use in public.. and not too big... preferably supra-aurals...I'm Asian, and most circumaurals will just make me look silly....

If my budget was higher, I would've bought the DH25 or DT1350... so perhaps you can suggest something around those in size?

The Oldskool 33 1/3 is that size but it doesn't isolate very much. Otherwise you don't really have too many options in that form factor and price range without taking a significant SQ hit. The Soundmagic P30 is an option, or the AKG K430. Or, if you're okay with a more neutral signature, the PX200-II or even Beyer DTX 300 p.

Quote:
Hey Joker,
First of all your reviews and the time you spend doing these are the BEEST!! Love yah woork!
I wanted to ask you if it was possible that you do a review on a rapper can Soul by Ludacris (especially the Soul by Ludacris SL150). These have caught my interest as lots of new rapper cans are coming out (celebrity endorsed) and I was wondering if they were any better than the Beats by Dr. Dre since those have gained a lot of tough criticism haha. That would be awesome if you could.
Oooh and uuuh sorry if this question has already been asked and you've already answered it, I must have missed it. Thank you heaps!!!

I do have one more 'endorsed' headphone in my review queue but sadly it's not the Soul. No plans to review the SL150 at this point.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,212 of 4,593
Quote:

The Oldskool 33 1/3 is that size but it doesn't isolate very much. Otherwise you don't really have too many options in that form factor and price range without taking a significant SQ hit. The Soundmagic P30 is an option, or the AKG K430. Or, if you're okay with a more neutral signature, the PX200-II or even Beyer DTX 300 p.

Sure, I'll check them out!
Thanks for the suggestions!

You know, I always thought that there are more options in the portable headphones area than IEM's...
It seems I was wrong... there are much more good options for under 100$ with IEM's....

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3,213 of 4,593
Wow!
What an amazing on-going resource!
If I could please get some advice . . .
My old Grado SR-60s have finally reached the end of the line.  They'd become a good secondary 'phone, and also what I used for travel, but now I need to replace 'em.
I'll be taking a cross-country train trip this summer, and I'm looking for something that I can listen with for long stretches on the train.  The Grado's weren't really great for that.  They were light, sure, but they weren't too comfortable for long listens and they really don't isolate well at all (especially on a train!).
I'd like to find something that's $100-125 or less, if possible, a headphone that I can use to listen to music during long train trips and that'll be a good secondary headphone at home.
Currently my primary headphones are AKG 702s.  I mainly listen to jazz (more avant garde than mainstream), with lots of blues, rock, some classical, some reggae.
Many thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3,215 of 4,593
Quote:
Wow!
What an amazing on-going resource!
If I could please get some advice . . .
My old Grado SR-60s have finally reached the end of the line.  They'd become a good secondary 'phone, and also what I used for travel, but now I need to replace 'em.
I'll be taking a cross-country train trip this summer, and I'm looking for something that I can listen with for long stretches on the train.  The Grado's weren't really great for that.  They were light, sure, but they weren't too comfortable for long listens and they really don't isolate well at all (especially on a train!).
I'd like to find something that's $100-125 or less, if possible, a headphone that I can use to listen to music during long train trips and that'll be a good secondary headphone at home.
Currently my primary headphones are AKG 702s.  I mainly listen to jazz (more avant garde than mainstream), with lots of blues, rock, some classical, some reggae.
Many thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Not an easy question to answer. In that price range, if you want to compromise between sound, isolation, comfort, and stowability, that probably means going with a DJ/studio set. Though not all of them fold flat, most collapse into a more compact form. The Denon DN-HP700 is a great candidate in terms of sound quality but is on the large side, even for a DJ can. I'd suggest the Sony MDR-V6 if you don't mind a darker sound signature compared to your Grados and K702s.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #3,216 of 4,593
Thanks for the quick reply, Joker, and for your help with this.
Does it get any easier if I compromise on some of the criteria?
(I'm not sure how I'd rank 'em; it's like they're all important!  Stowability's important, 'cuz if they take too much space I just won't bring 'em.  Sound's important, of course.  If I can't hear and the sound's 'bad' or 'wrong' then I probably won't listen.)
I could go a little higher in price range if that'd make a difference.
Many thanks!

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #3,217 of 4,593
@joker

Did you listen to the FA FA-003 if yes so how did you found it?

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3,220 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Joker, and for your help with this.
Does it get any easier if I compromise on some of the criteria?
(I'm not sure how I'd rank 'em; it's like they're all important!  Stowability's important, 'cuz if they take too much space I just won't bring 'em.  Sound's important, of course.  If I can't hear and the sound's 'bad' or 'wrong' then I probably won't listen.)
I could go a little higher in price range if that'd make a difference.
Many thanks!

Going up a little in price opens you up to the ATH-M50 or Ultrasone HFI-780 but the MDR-V6 and HP700 are still worth considering. If you are worried about space the HFI-780 is the only one of these with a short (<5ft) cable while the V6 folds the smallest..

Quote:
@joker

Did you listen to the FA FA-003 if yes so how did you found it?

Only for a few days. I only had a DT990 and my HD580 on hand for comparisons and I didn't think the FA-003 quite measured up to either. Signature was pretty neutral, not the best treble extension but okay overall. I don't have a whole lot of experience with full-size cans in that price range. It's probably very good for the price but after listening to it I decided I didn't want one.

Quote:
@Joker

Your thoughts on ATH-ES10 vs DT-1350.

ipod/fostex hp_p1.

Thanks.

Full reviews of both are on the front page of the thread but in short, to me, the DT1350 is flatter and smoother overall, with a darker signature and more focus on the mids. The ES10 is more bass- and treble-happy, more lively, more 'exciting'.

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #3,221 of 4,593
Quote:

Full reviews of both are on the front page of the thread but in short, to me, the DT1350 is flatter and smoother overall, with a darker signature and more focus on the mids. The ES10 is more bass- and treble-happy, more lively, more 'exciting'.

Thanks, yeah i have been on the front page many times and read about the DT-1350 and ath-es10.
I wanted to hear directly from you in summary.

I tried them both in store when I bought my ATH-ESW9, I liked the look of the EWS9s more and it seem that the 10s would get fatiguing after a while.

Seems like ATH-ES10 is V shaped like my TF10s.  
Maybe I will just stick with my ATH-ESW9 and ATH-CK10.

thank you. good info.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #3,222 of 4,593
Hi joker,  
I have a chance to buy a pair of brand new  CAL! for $75 shipped - this is the max amount I can pay for cans. Listening classic rock, jazz (no big band)...so few instruments.
My favorite IEMs:  Meelec CC51, Astrotec AM90, Xears XE200PRO.  No chance to try, but read your review ..... Just few words please. I'll decide .
smile.gif
 Thanks!

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #3,223 of 4,593
Joker,
I'm still looking for a headphone,
let's say budget isn't a problem,
I want something musical but smooth/non-fatiguing, but still want some details in the music...
maybe something like the EPH-100...

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,224 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi joker,  
I have a chance to buy a pair of brand new  CAL! for $75 shipped - this is the max amount I can pay for cans. Listening classic rock, jazz (no big band)...so few instruments.
My favorite IEMs:  Meelec CC51, Astrotec AM90, Xears XE200PRO.  No chance to try, but read your review ..... Just few words please. I'll decide .
smile.gif
 Thanks!

Your 3 favorite IEMs sound nothing alike
redface.gif
. The CAL! will be closest to the XE200Pro, followed by the CC51. IIRC it's a little warmer than both and of course capable of moving air like a headphone for more impact. $75 sounds like a good price, especially if that's at the top of your budget.

Quote:
Joker,
I'm still looking for a headphone,
let's say budget isn't a problem,
I want something musical but smooth/non-fatiguing, but still want some details in the music...
maybe something like the EPH-100...

The V-Moda M-80 is probably your best bet - it definitely reminds me of a slightly more balanced EPH-100 and is very smooth and non-fatiguing without sacrificing detail.

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,225 of 4,593
Joker, have you ever had the chance to hear the second generation of T50p's?

I read the first generation is plagued with fit issues and the second generation has new-style pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back