Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,432 of 4,593

Quote:
As a (prog)rock listener, I very very VERY much prefer ES-10 over ESW9. It would have been great if they gave the much more expensive model at least those nice ESW9 pads though.
Progger, I've been using ES-10 for quiet some time now on the go, just be a bit carefull, they're a bit more fragile then the HD-25 offcourse, but if you're carefull, there's no problem. Don't think though that you can use it without scratching the cups, it scratches very easily.

Joker, it has been a while since I've read your thread. Nice reads on the DT1350 and ES-10. It really comes down to personal preferences from here, I guess. I'd give HD-25 the 9.25 and ES-10 the 9 for sound, but I use ES-10 way more because it's much more comfortable and it isolates enough for me. Still, if only ES-10 had or could get the lambskid ESW9 pads...

I remain curious to try DT1350. One of the reasons is that I have problems with my ears on the go; with HD-25 my ears get hot and tickly/sweating, with ES-10 too but less (but I still can't use ES-10 for more then 60 min. straight). My ears also can't stand IEM's and I was hoping to find a better sollution the to use a KSC75 for longer periods.

The DT1350 is smaller so a larger portion of the ears 'remains ventilated'. I've had T50p in the past though, which I just couldn't like soundwise.

Anyway, congrats on the latest additions.

I think the curvature of the ES10 is mild enough where you could add a screen protector (cut to size, of course) or some other protective film without ruining the looks. What I said about the ESW9A being less convenient out and about due to the delicacy of its finish still applies to the ES10 of course. Tossing them around the way I do the HD25 is not something I'd recommend.

Regarding cup size, the DT1350 isn't that much smaller than the HD25 and I wouldn't say it heats up less quickly than my HD25 with vinyl pads, but maybe that's just me. Have you considered a higher-end clip-on?

And thanks, glad the latest additions have been helpful.

Quote:
Great in-depth review as usual Joker. 

Question: Kind of random but can you compare the ES10's sound to that of the HJE900? I know the latter is an IEM but it's got pretty good soundstage, imaging, and timbre - I can't get over how natural the instruments sound. I'm looking for more headphones with a similar sound sig since now I know that's the kind of natural sound I crave. Any feedback/thoughts/recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Well, I don't think the ES-10 will have trouble beating the soundstaging of the HJE900 - it'll be more spacious and more layered. However, the HJE900 is warmer tonally and the bass emphasis comes in higher. If you find that warmth to be pleasing, you may find the ES10 too cold. That said, of the HD25, DT1350, and ES10 the ES10 is still the one I'd recommend for you, but I haven't heard any of the other top-tier portables.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2,433 of 4,593
Joker, did you buy your ESW9s brand new ? I found them to be muddy and lacking coherence big time straight out of the box - in a showroom audition between these and something like the AD900, I just cant imagine anyone choosing a spanking new set of ESW9s, particularly at anything approaching their MSRP.

Burn-in skeptics be damned - something changes in those first few hours, and given that I've had them on my head for a fraction of that time, I believe its more the headphones than my brain. We often get pooh-poohed when we talk about a pair of phones 'opening up' after a few hours, but that is exactly what I'm hearing. The headphones I took out of their box roughly 4 hours ago wouldnt have rated a '5' on your scale. I'm beginning to get an insight into why some of the reviews I've read elsewhere have been less-than-kind about the ESW9, especially if the reviewer was working to a deadline. By contrast, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in any Grado/Allesandros I've owned from new - make of that what you will.

(btw, I realise ESW9 vs AD900 isn't a fair comparison, but these are the first closed cans I've owned in 18 months !)

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2,434 of 4,593
Personally, I don't hear much from driver burn-in, but softening of the pads makes a big difference as it conforms to the ear, changes the angle of the driver, and/or angles your ear itself. There's also a (for me) psychosomatic correlation between changing pressure on the ears (and related perception of comfort) with sound quality.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,435 of 4,593
I just know that its the kind of thing I tend to forget about within a few weeks of receiving new phones, but felt it timely to mention it in this thread given that some might audition the ESW9, have a similar experience to mine (or not) and feel compelled to question Joker's rating. Anyway, I get to spend a few hours tonight with new phones welded to my head - it doesnt get any better than that.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,436 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker, did you buy your ESW9s brand new ? I found them to be muddy and lacking coherence big time straight out of the box - in a showroom audition between these and something like the AD900, I just cant imagine anyone choosing a spanking new set of ESW9s, particularly at anything approaching their MSRP.

Burn-in skeptics be damned - something changes in those first few hours, and given that I've had them on my head for a fraction of that time, I believe its more the headphones than my brain. We often get pooh-poohed when we talk about a pair of phones 'opening up' after a few hours, but that is exactly what I'm hearing. The headphones I took out of their box roughly 4 hours ago wouldnt have rated a '5' on your scale. I'm beginning to get an insight into why some of the reviews I've read elsewhere have been less-than-kind about the ESW9, especially if the reviewer was working to a deadline. By contrast, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in any Grado/Allesandros I've owned from new - make of that what you will.

(btw, I realise ESW9 vs AD900 isn't a fair comparison, but these are the first closed cans I've owned in 18 months !)

My ESW9A was a loan though I can't remember the exact circumstances. I would have either gotten assurances that it is well-used or put at least 100 hours on it myself. Everything I review goes through that cycle and I don't usually bother to compare pre- and post-burn-in.

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #2,437 of 4,593
Hi Joker, VERY nice review, congratz'!
I own Denon 1001 and I'm so happy with it, so comfortable & sounds very good to me!
Short question : Which ones are on your list for future review? Any Superlux?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #2,438 of 4,593

Quote:

Regarding cup size, the DT1350 isn't that much smaller than the HD25 and I wouldn't say it heats up less quickly than my HD25 with vinyl pads, but maybe that's just me. Have you considered a higher-end clip-on?

I have Yuin G1a (For Sale), which I find a bit too clinical and lacking in the lows for my taste.

Maybe it's an idea to try that decent clip on AT makes, bit worried about not enough isolation though (I don't like to upset other bus travellers)

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #2,439 of 4,593

Well, I don't think the ES-10 will have trouble beating the soundstaging of the HJE900 - it'll be more spacious and more layered. However, the HJE900 is warmer tonally and the bass emphasis comes in higher. If you find that warmth to be pleasing, you may find the ES10 too cold. That said, of the HD25, DT1350, and ES10 the ES10 is still the one I'd recommend for you, but I haven't heard any of the other top-tier portables.

Thanks for the clear, concise reply. That definitely helps when considering the DT1350 vs. ES10 (or whatever alternative headphone I may come across) as I wasn't sure if the DT1350 was for me or not since it's pretty lean. The HD25 - I have a love/hate relationship with. It does almost everything right for me but alas it's lacking in soundstage/imaging (to my ears). I could never picture myself getting rid of it though considering how rugged and versatile the headphone is. If any other recommendations with natural timbre come to mind (even with full size headphones) please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks again.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #2,440 of 4,593
You got it Brand New In the Box, lol

Quote:

My ESW9A was a loan though I can't remember the exact circumstances. I would have either gotten assurances that it is well-used or put at least 100 hours on it myself. Everything I review goes through that cycle and I don't usually bother to compare pre- and post-burn-in.

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #2,442 of 4,593
Tried switching *back* to the AD900 after a few hours with the ESW9 last night - never, ever do that unless you plan to spend several more hours with the open phones on your head. I have no idea how Joker and others can go back and forward between cans and not find themselves completely aurally confused and, dare I say it, disappointed. Changing from IEMs to fullsize cans can do that, but I guess I'm more accustomed to the transition - its all good.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #2,443 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi Joker, VERY nice review, congratz'!
I own Denon 1001 and I'm so happy with it, so comfortable & sounds very good to me!
Short question : Which ones are on your list for future review? Any Superlux?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

No Superlux, sorry. There is a Denon on the to-do list, though, as well as stuff from Sony, Phiaton, V-Moda, Fischer Audio, Klipsch, AKG, Philips, and Sennheiser.

Quote:
Tried switching *back* to the AD900 after a few hours with the ESW9 last night - never, ever do that unless you plan to spend several more hours with the open phones on your head. I have no idea how Joker and others can go back and forward between cans and not find themselves completely aurally confused and, dare I say it, disappointed. Changing from IEMs to fullsize cans can do that, but I guess I'm more accustomed to the transition - its all good.

There are comparisons I can't stand doing but for the most part I find every little bit of A:B listening helps determine where something falls on the spectrum. Run into interesting contrasts on occasion - in recent history it was going between the Earsonics SM3 and Sony MDR-EX1000, both IEMs that I really like but they just made each other sound shockingly awful back to back.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #2,444 of 4,593

Quote:
No Superlux, sorry. There is a Denon on the to-do list, though, as well as stuff from Sony, Phiaton, V-Moda, Fischer Audio, Klipsch, AKG, Philips, and Sennheiser.

There are comparisons I can't stand doing but for the most part I find every little bit of A:B listening helps determine where something falls on the spectrum. Run into interesting contrasts on occasion - in recent history it was going between the Earsonics SM3 and Sony MDR-EX1000, both IEMs that I really like but they just made each other sound shockingly awful back to back.

Right now I'm in the middle of reviewing the V-Moda M-80. It's no giant killer joker but I think you'll find it a generally nice can. I did some A/Bing against the P5 and the Beats Solo and it easily trumps the Solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back