Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #136 of 4,593
The K-81 would be nice if it weren't for their outrageous bass. As it goes, they have excellent diaphragm travel, deep space, deep dynamics, but the bass is plain nauseating (with a headphone amp anyway).

Now, "portable" headphones aren't those that are foldable, "portable" is anything that doesn't require an AC/DC adapter and doesn't weigh 1 KG (or more). Has anyone ever seen someone fold their "portable" headphones anyway? Most of the time they just hang on the neck. CAL/Denon AH-D1001 are great street headphones. So, what this comes to. Please, more circumaurals in the review, and not just foldable. In short: if it can be powered by a player and is lightweight and comfortable, it's good for outdoors.

JVC HA-RX700 sounds interesting. Yamaha RH5MA sounds interesting (and cheapish).

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #137 of 4,593
To throw something else into the fray: there're two sets of Denon AH-P372, one stock, one recabled. The recabled set is plain awesome. There might be a review of both.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #138 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker I got my HD25s yesterday and I am in love
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, excellent. They are stellar performers, are they not? I'll get to writing them up one of these days but everytime I go at it I end up just listening to them for an entire evening and nothing gets written
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To throw something else into the fray: there're two sets of Denon AH-P372, one stock, one recabled. The recabled set is plain awesome. There might be a review of both.

Yes, I have a P372 on hand (courtesy of jant71). Review coming next week.

As for portability, The K81s need to lose the inner foam and a bass-light source to overcome the bass problem. Extra power just makes it worse. The HA-M750 and M-Audio Q40 give me bass headaches. The K81s do not.

As for portability, I've had two pairs of the HA-RX700 (stock and modded) and didn't even consider including them in the shootout. I guess I draw the line when a headphone is large/inconvenient enough that I wouldn't be bothered wearing it outside. Thick, long cords tick me off a bit and I do fold my headphones away when I get to class. Ever try sitting in place for two hours being choked by an M-Audio Q40? Not pleasant
frown.gif

More updates coming soon.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #139 of 4,593
AH-D1000 are unnoticeable on the neck :)

So the Q40 aren't that comfortable? And bassy?

The HA-RX700 do look monstrous, but the looks also suggest comfort.

The problem with K-81 is the grille tuning, maybe a new grille (holes, not squares) would help it. Perhaps extra holes. Anyway, they're not the most comfortable set out there.

Circumaural headphones are way more comfortable and have a fuller sound, so they're a logical choice.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #140 of 4,593
K-81 were nauseatingly bassy out of Minibox-D with a Sony PCDP. Foamless. And they were playing bassless guitar ambient. After that last try they just gathered dust.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #141 of 4,593
Went through and adjusted color balances on most of the pics. Also resized all of them and eliminated some unnecessary ones since I'm getting awfully close to the 35-per-post photo limit.

Quote:

So the Q40 aren't that comfortable? And bassy?

Right

Quote:

The HA-RX700 do look monstrous, but the looks also suggest comfort.

Comfy yes, but they get awful hot in there.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #144 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, excellent. They are stellar performers, are they not? I'll get to writing them up one of these days but everytime I go at it I end up just listening to them for an entire evening and nothing gets written
redface.gif

Yes I am very pleased with them, at first it was a lot of money for me to spend on headphones but now I am sold on this whole "audiophile" stuff...
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #148 of 4,593
I now have in my possession a pair of Sennheiser PX100-II headphones, which will eventually replace the original PX100 in the lineup once stock of the older model is cleared out. The PX100-II is definitely a small but worthwhile improvement over the original PX100: more neutral and less dark. (In other words, Sennheiser made an already good open portable headphone even better.)

Those who expect the new PX#00-II models to have a Y-cord hanging down from both earpieces may be slightly disappointed to find out that they have a single-sided cord hanging from the left earpiece instead.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #150 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by LQQK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review ljokerl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Outstanding effort ljokerl. It's not an easy feat to do such a thing. Helps out in advising my fellow mates. Thanks once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great thread. Please check out the audio-technica sj5!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Methinks the OP should review the Senn PX100-II, Jays V-Jays, AKG K420 and the AKG K450 next...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys. More cans coming in the future.

For now updated with M-Audio Q40 and Audio-Technica ATH-ES7. Also split into two posts since I ran into 100k character cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back