Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player - Releasing in April 2024
May 16, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #166 of 194
Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #169 of 194
I've been listening for several hours now even though I actually wanted to go to sleep early. But it doesn't work. This player is so captivatingly incredible for what little money it costs. I just listened to a complete Patricia Barber album called Cafe Blue. And yes, I agree with @ToneDeafMonk. The M5 U is even better in the details than the M 8. Somehow it all sounds more mature and sophisticated. Mind you, this is from memory, but I think ToneDeafMonk agrees with me as he still has the M8. This player is really unbelievable for the price when it's around 300 hours. Bravo @ Shanling best buy in the year 2024!!!

Prost Shanling :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #170 of 194
@ToneDeafMonk
I saw your review on YouTube. I follow you there.
I would like to know why you only spent about 10 seconds to show the TIdal interface in a video that is over 1 hour long.. When you clicked on the “new” part in TIdal interface, it seemed that the albums would be slow to load in the interface. This seemed like you didn't want to show a possible negative print in the device.
The approach to everything else was thorough. I watched the entire video.
But the streaming function also interests me.
I have a growing library, so streaming is for listening to or discovering new albums and artists before purchasing physical media. If anyone can report what the TIdal interface is like, I would be grateful.

May 17, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #171 of 194
@ToneDeafMonk
I saw your review on YouTube. I follow you there.
I would like to know why you only spent about 10 seconds to show the TIdal interface in a video that is over 1 hour long.. When you clicked on the “new” part in TIdal interface, it seemed that the albums would be slow to load in the interface. This seemed like you didn't want to show a possible negative print in the device.
The approach to everything else was thorough. I watched the entire video.
But the streaming function also interests me.
I have a growing library, so streaming is for listening to or discovering new albums and artists before purchasing physical media. If anyone can report what the TIdal interface is like, I would be grateful.
Definitely not slow to load works great , there is a bug Shanling knows about that it doesn't load all tou Tidal playlists that's all.

May 17, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #172 of 194
I've been listening for several hours now even though I actually wanted to go to sleep early. But it doesn't work. This player is so captivatingly incredible for what little money it costs. I just listened to a complete Patricia Barber album called Cafe Blue. And yes, I agree with @ToneDeafMonk. The M5 U is even better in the details than the M 8. Somehow it all sounds more mature and sophisticated. Mind you, this is from memory, but I think ToneDeafMonk agrees with me as he still has the M8. This player is really unbelievable for the price when it's around 300 hours. Bravo @ Shanling best buy in the year 2024!!!

Prost Shanling :beerchug:
I agree it has better detail retrieval than the M8 and doesn't quite sound as warm.

May 17, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #173 of 194
Does anyone have or had a Sony ZX507 that could describe a brief comparison with the M5U? Similar sound signatures? Warm Sound?

May 17, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #174 of 194
I agree it has better detail retrieval than the M8 and doesn't quite sound as warm.
So it must sound quite different than the M6 Ultra. My M8 doesn't sound nearly as warm and gooey as the M6U, plus the M8 definitely captures details and nuances much better. I reckon I should grab an M5U sooner than later.

May 18, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #175 of 194
Does anyone have or had a Sony ZX507 that could describe a brief comparison with the M5U? Similar sound signatures? Warm Sound?

It be hard for me to say exactly the difference but by memory when I had zx507 and wm1z the 507 sounded similarly warm and less soundstage, overall had lots of similarities.

In my opinion if you compare it to m5u you be around similar warm sound but with m5u more detailed sound precision, oh and so so much more power range to drive anything, 507 has a very weak amplifier no real guts there unfortunately. I think the 507 line follows 1z warmth signature its not cold like 1a.

I personally would recommend you m5u over 507 even the new 700. When I was shopping I had the option to get the 707 but for the price and the ridiculous limit on volume cap was just a dump way to go with sony. Really sad as I like sony sound. M5u is insanely close to my wm1zm2! So there is not much option around the corner youl find that sounds as good as the wm1zm2 and for the price of m5u you practically getting a flagship sound with just few % below the real flagships. Its really a bargain, shanling is offering so much more for what they charging honestly. If you want to stream just do it like me, airplay or usb or ldac the quality is really good. The best is usb dac of course and you get that fast experience from you phone.

I saw you are comparing a lot of daps hehe, Id say go with what sound signature your after as the technicalities and horse powers are not the most important in music. You need to love what your hearing first!

May 18, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #176 of 194
It be hard for me to say exactly the difference but by memory when I had zx507 and wm1z the 507 sounded similarly warm and less soundstage, overall had lots of similarities.

In my opinion if you compare it to m5u you be around similar warm sound but with m5u more detailed sound precision, oh and so so much more power range to drive anything, 507 has a very weak amplifier no real guts there unfortunately. I think the 507 line follows 1z warmth signature its not cold like 1a.

I personally would recommend you m5u over 507 even the new 700. When I was shopping I had the option to get the 707 but for the price and the ridiculous limit on volume cap was just a dump way to go with sony. Really sad as I like sony sound. M5u is insanely close to my wm1zm2! So there is not much option around the corner youl find that sounds as good as the wm1zm2 and for the price of m5u you practically getting a flagship sound with just few % below the real flagships. Its really a bargain, shanling is offering so much more for what they charging honestly. If you want to stream just do it like me, airplay or usb or ldac the quality is really good. The best is usb dac of course and you get that fast experience from you phone.

I saw you are comparing a lot of daps hehe, Id say go with what sound signature your after as the technicalities and horse powers are not the most important in music. You need to love what your hearing first!
Thank you very much for this report about your experience with the M5U.
Despite the high output impedance (I'm going to use it a lot with IEMs), some reviewers and most people here on headfi use it with IEMs and don't report any serious problems because of it.
So, I think I have to try this DAP.
Really, for the price and power, it could be a great purchase.

May 18, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #177 of 194
Despite the high output impedance (I'm going to use it a lot with IEMs), some reviewers and most people here on headfi use it with IEMs and don't report any serious problems because of it.
Not only could it be the best purchase for the price. It is the best buy.Better then all Sony Players if you don't want to buy the ZM 2. You definitely won't regret the purchase.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #178 of 194
Not only could it be the best purchase for the price. It is the best buy.Better then all Sony Players if you don't want to buy the ZM 2. You definitely won't regret the purchase.
Yes, I am thinking of retire my beloved dx300

May 18, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #180 of 194

No problems with iems at all, I use mine at medium gain all the time and I have 18 ohm, you get iems with super low ohm in that case I am more then sure low gain will do it right. It is true m5u packs a load of power even stronger than H5 when I had it.

M5u is very versatile it will accommodate you pretty mich in any situation, oh and by the way the battery is really good it last long time. Around 8.5 to 9 hours on balanced for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back