Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #136 of 1,112
canoman: Huh. The mSD / library update issue sounds pretty odd. I've swapped out cards without issues. Have you tried a factory reset? If not try doing that through the menu first and then again via the reset pinhole if the menu option doesn't fix it.

Just curious, can you just use file browsing instead of the media library? I don't mean permanently. I'm just wondering if you're able to browse files on the M5 that way.

As far as SACD ISO, I don't have any. I typically just use a mix of AAC, MP3, FLAC, and DSD. If you want, you could Dropbox the SACD ISO album, and I could test it out and provide feedback.

Let me know how I can help, and I'll try my best. I've had DAP issues myself (looking straight at you L&P L3), understand your frustration, and want to help!

May 14, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #137 of 1,112
Hi nmatheis, thank you for your willingness to help!
I tried to factory reset and hard reset several times (should have mentioned it in my previous post), no change in terms of files visibility.
File browsing doesn't help either (I suspect it is just a way to navigate through the same media content, which is not importing).
I will upload couple of ISO files and update you with the link.

May 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #138 of 1,112
I tried to factory reset and hard reset several times (should have mentioned it in my previous post), no change in terms of files visibility.
File browsing doesn't help either (I suspect it is just a way to navigate through the same media content, which is not importing).

Truly odd. I've used many DAPs with the same basic FW, and you can usually use file browsing without scanning the mSD card first. Have you tried to update the media library with no card in to zero it out and then stick the card back in?

May 15, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #140 of 1,112

shanling: Can you please help a new member of the Shanling family with their M5 problems?

May 16, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #143 of 1,112
Darn M5 is impressive, wish I didn't hear it. Next time I hope I have my lotoo paw gold me and report back.

It truly is one hand operated device .

May 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #144 of 1,112
@nmatheis could you please express your opinion about M5 vs Cayin N6?
Currently I own N6, but before I was using Shanling M2 and really liked design and UI. In your opinion will M5 be a step backward from N6 in terms of sound?
Thanks in advance

May 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #145 of 1,112
Can anyone comment on what might go well with the beoplay h6 v2, contenders are ibasso dx80, m5 and m2.

I imagine the m5 would score higher that m2, but is it the better value given the 300 price difference?

Thanks.

May 17, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #150 of 1,112
Darn M5 is impressive, wish I didn't hear it. Next time I hope I have my lotoo paw gold me and report back.

It truly is one hand operated device .

Glad you have heard it and conform that M5 is an exceptional DAP, my fellow DAP-aphile:wink:

@nmatheis could you please express your opinion about M5 vs Cayin N6?
Currently I own N6, but before I was using Shanling M2 and really liked design and UI. In your opinion will M5 be a step backward from N6 in terms of sound?
Thanks in advance

N6 has brighter, more analytocal sound with bigger soundstage. M5 has fuller sound that isn't so bright yet isn't lacking in detail. M5 soundstage isn't so big as N6. All that said, I prefer M5's musical sound to N6's analytical sound by a wide margin. For Cayin DAPs, I actually much prefer N5 to N6 and am looking forward to i5. For Shanling, I honestly haven't heard a bad DAP yet :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back