Shanling M3
Dec 3, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #556 of 567
dlayman: Glad you're enjoying the experience. I find the filter settings are so subtle as to be undetectable. The upsampling is immediately obvious to me, though. I hear a very clear difference, with SRC upsampling making the music sound much smoother to the point of being too smooth for me. Turning it off immediately makes the music sound more dynamic abd alive to my ears. I've experimented with this setting a lot with the save result every time.

I'm getting Opus #1 in for testing soon. It's also got a Cirrus DAC. I'm curious to see how similar they sound given the price difference...

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #557 of 567
dlayman: Glad you're enjoying the experience. I find the filter settings are so subtle as to be undetectable. The upsampling is immediately obvious to me, though. I hear a very clear difference, with SRC upsampling making the music sound much smoother to the point of being too smooth for me. Turning it off immediately makes the music sound more dynamic abd alive to my ears. I've experimented with this setting a lot with the save result every time.

I'm getting Opus #1 in for testing soon. It's also got a Cirrus DAC. I'm curious to see how similar they sound given the price difference...

Interesting. My comparisons of the filters and upsampling haven't been extensive, although they have been consistent. I intend to experiment some more with them. To be honest, your findings make more sense intuitively. The effects possibly depend on the format and quality of the source file. I've just kind of settled in and just enjoyed the music, which is a good sign.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #558 of 567
I use this DAP mainly at the gym, despite its relatively large size and weight.. It works great with an armband and the control wheel provides extremely convenient access playing in random mode. Yesterday, I was careless and it fell out of its leather case, dropped several feet to the floor and bounced off a piece of steel on the gym equipment. Completely undamaged, not even a scratch. Very impressed with the build quality and the sound. @Shanling, I know this is an older product, but it's a winner. Great sound and tank-like build quality. I can be satisfied with the M3 for a long long time, and am really looking forward to your next top tier DAP. And your other new players seem to be excellent as well.

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #559 of 567
I use this DAP mainly at the gym, despite its relatively large size and weight.. It works great with an armband and the control wheel provides extremely convenient access playing in random mode. Yesterday, I was careless and it fell out of its leather case, dropped several feet to the floor and bounced off a piece of steel on the gym equipment. Completely undamaged, not even a scratch. Very impressed with the build quality and the sound. @Shanling, I know this is an older product, but it's a winner. Great sound and tank-like build quality. I can be satisfied with the M3 for a long long time, and am really looking forward to your next top tier DAP. And your other new players seem to be excellent as well.

+1, M3 is built like a tank and it's scroll wheel functionality is implemented cleverly. I like the way it can be used to control the volume from any screen. From what I read from other reviews, the newer M2S lacks this feature.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #565 of 567
hey guys,

im having difficulties updating the firmware. i've just purchased an ex-demo version and it's on fw2.0. for some reason it keeps on freezing.
So i thought i might update the firmware and hope for the best.
But when I go to update the firmware in the setup menu it cannot find the file. I've made sure the fw is in the roots directory but no luck. both in sd and internal storage.
any idea what's happening?

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #567 of 567
The Shanling M3 Ultra portable player is the subject of our weekend article on Headfonia. An article by @Aerosphere

https://www.headfonia.com/shanling-m3-ultra-review/

chrome_2023-03-12_10-24-09.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back