Shanling M3
Feb 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 567

nelson996

New Head-Fier
Thought I would start a thread on the Shanling M3 as there doesn't seem to be much mention of it in the forum so far.

I got my Shanling M3 direct from Shanling at the beginning of February. (I'm in the UK)

Firstly I would like to thank rayeonsg and cleg for helping me with some questions before I bit the bullet.

Please bear in mind, this is my first foray into the money pit that is high res DAPs and Head-fi!!!!

Most of the reviews I have read seem to put it somewhere between the X5 => D90

I have nothing really to compare it to apart from a Clip+ and a D2+ DAB, so my terminology will be lacking as well!

I am listening to it with Shure SRH840 and 44khz/16bit WAV files at the moment.

I love the look of it, simple yet functional. I think the control wheel is really well implemented. It has plenty of power, volume goes up to 60, I haven't had it above 35 (on standard gain setting), and that's loud! The UI is practical, (way better than my D2 was) and once you get used to it, it's easy to navigate.
After about 20hrs+ burn-in the soundstage really starts to open up and things are sounding good. The quality of recording does make a difference in separation of instruments. The combination seems to shine more at the moment with electronic music, but Norah Jones Come Away With Me and Johnny Cash American VI sound good as does RATM! The sound appears well balanced, without an over abundance of any frequency range. It allows me to enjoy my music without having to over-analyse the quality of the sound. I'm sure more burn-in hours will help things develop.

It's early days yet, and I still have a lot to learn to about this hobby!! One thing I do know, it's gonna be expensive!!! Looking to invest already in a new set of cans, top of my list at the moment is the Hifiman 400i!!!

My hope is there are a few more owners out there who can share their experiences and let everyone know. Also any thoughts on firmware functionality, headphone/IEM matching etc etc...

If it's in your price range and you have the chance to audition it, I think it's worth a listen!

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 567
DX90 owner here. I just saw this thing on MD and thought I'd check it out. Too bad that nothing has really been posted about it. Anyway, you sound happy with your purchase which is good. Not sure how this thing would compare to the upcoming X3 II which also has the CS4398 chip. I love my iBasso though and I (personally) can't justify the price for the M3. Looks really good however and does have an awesome name. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 567
At last a sensible reply!!! Thanks!!!
L3000.gif

Haven't had a huge amount of time recently to use it, busy with kids and life and generally feeling tired etc...!!!

Unfortunately I have nothing of any similar kind to compare the M3 to, that's why I was hoping there were other M3 owners out there that could give us their experience and thoughts.

There are lots of new DAPS coming to the market now, so it helps to have as much info out there as possible for people to make an informed decision as to which ones to try!!!

If I didn't include the price for shipping and import duties, the M3 is quite a bit cheaper than the DX90, but here in the UK there aren't any distributors, so it's an extra hassle to get hold of. Even with the extra charges, it was cheaper, but not by much!!

Still happy with my purchase!!

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 567
M3 owner here. Glad to see a thread about it. 

Incredibly this DAP sound FAR MORE better when it warms up-it heats after about one hour replaying. 

Comparing to another player X5 at about this price, I think the sound performance of X5 is more standard while M3 is more musical

I am also very happy with this unit.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 567
  M3 owner here. Glad to see a thread about it. 

Incredibly this DAP sound FAR MORE better when it warms up-it heats after about one hour replaying. 

Comparing to another player X5 at about this price, I think the sound performance of X5 is more standard while M3 is more musical

I am also very happy with this unit.

Good to hear from another happy owner!!!! What headphones/IEMs are you using?

I agree with the warming up!! The rep from Shanling said it sounds better after warming up and said it has been called a portable tube amp!!!

The promising thing for me, is that after burn in, we are still only on the first generations of firmware, so things should only get better!!! From what I have read from posts on head-fi, the dx90 and X5 have got better with each firmware release...

Waiting patiently for the next firmware now.....

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 567
  Good to hear from another happy owner!!!! What headphones/IEMs are you using?

I agree with the warming up!! The rep from Shanling said it sounds better after warming up and said it has been called a portable tube amp!!!

The promising thing for me, is that after burn in, we are still only on the first generations of firmware, so things should only get better!!! From what I have read from posts on head-fi, the dx90 and X5 have got better with each firmware release...

Waiting patiently for the next firmware now.....

Normally I listen with the earphone FITEAR Fitear for POP music-don't like going anywhere with a full-size headphone :)

But the driving power of M3 is more than enough! 

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 567
Saw this player in Mass Drop.The control wheel is interesting. Can it be operated while in your pocket (like skipping tracks, volume control etc). Does this player come with a equalizer?

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 567
  Saw this player in Mass Drop.The control wheel is interesting. Can it be operated while in your pocket (like skipping tracks, volume control etc). Does this player come with a equalizer?

Yes, there is a "screen-locked operation" option. 

No equalizer since Shanling seems to insist on their Hi-Fi preference. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 567

I did took some pictures of the DAP since it looks interesting. Well I am glad to share some pics but there is an AI politely stops me. 
"Do not post any picture since you are a junior user, or your computer will turn to a bomb." 

I would love to post the pics if you could please email them to me.
I'll PM you my email 

[Edit] Some pics, courtesy of unbeatableggs:

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 567
  thanks ...

Also found this clip in youtube ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7hC0MsxdM

When in the screen locked option, the player will allow just to skip tracks. is it like that?

Skip, fast forward/backward and volume adjustment.
This function newly added in the recent firmware. 

Shanling releases many versions of firmware-I feel like every 10 sec a new version:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back