Shanling M2 DAP
Jun 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #860 of 1,348
The M3 hard case is splendid. The M2 case felt good enough to prevent scratches though it didn't feel as secure and solid like the other.

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #861 of 1,348
I just wanted to mention that I replaced my M2 via the nice help of my friendly and responsive Amazon vendor, Gemini Doctor. 

Unfortunately, I get freezes when unplugging the unit after USB file transfers in the same scenarios as the previous machine.  So the problem does not seem to be related to a hardware issue.

If I disconnect the unit via the USB menu on the PC before unplugging it I rarely have an issue.  If I just remove the cable the unit will generally freeze until I reset it.

I never had this problem with my X3 Gen I or Gen II.  On the other hand, I sure love the sound signature of this unit.  The minor annoyance of a periodic reset is more than outweighed by the sound quality advantage in my view.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #862 of 1,348
 i had the same problem, i found a solution : turn "on" your DAP always when you plug it in your computer BUT you need to plug the cable first in the usb port (and after you plug your M2)

it's works every time,no more freeze !

I always let the player in dac mode,too

remember :  plug your dap after your computer and always "ON"

i am 8 months using it everyday !as a dac too !,   i love this player !

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #863 of 1,348
   i had the same problem, i found a solution : turn "on" your DAP always when you plug it in your computer BUT you need to plug the cable first in the usb port (and after you plug your M2)

it's works every time,no more freeze !

I always let the player in dac mode,too

remember :  plug your dap after your computer and always "ON"

i am 8 months using it everyday !as a dac too !,   i love this player !

Yes, it does seem more reliable if it is turned on before plugging it in.  Good observation. 

I do absolutely love the sound of this unit.  I primarily use it with my LZ-A2 and sometimes with the Carbo Tenore.  It is really a great match with the LZ-A2.

I was knocked backwards when I used it with the FLC8S that I was evaluating on a tour.  So impressive.

Having said that I still have a warm spot in my heart with my old FIIO X3 II; but the Shanling gets more love right now.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #864 of 1,348
Originalsnuffy, an IT professional will tell you that you always need to disconnect anything before removing from a PC as it doesn't complete the file transfers and some devices need the tag to disconnect otherwise they freeze up, and it can corrupt files etc. So be a good boy and do as your PC tells you.:wink:

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #865 of 1,348
Yes, it does seem more reliable if it is turned on before plugging it in.  Good observation. 

I do absolutely love the sound of this unit.  I primarily use it with my LZ-A2 and sometimes with the Carbo Tenore.  It is really a great match with the LZ-A2.

I was knocked backwards when I used it with the FLC8S that I was evaluating on a tour.  So impressive.

Having said that I still have a warm spot in my heart with my old FIIO X3 II; but the Shanling gets more love right now.

I agree, the Fiio X3ii is a darn good DAP. It just does everything you ask of it.. The Shanlings are the same.. You turn it on and it just works. My iBasso DX80 tends to cut the ending of songs off a little too early from time to time randomly for example.. The Shanling M2 and M5 I can always just count on to know exactly what it's going to do and how it will sound. After owning the M5, I can at that the M2 is the perfect budget DAP though.. The sound signature is so similar. Yes there are differences in handling sustain for a more "live" presence to the overall tonality. There are other things, but that one is my favorite. Honesty, For it being half the price of the M5, you honestly can't fault it.. If the M2 was my only DAP, and I had the M5 as a "lender" unit, I sincerely feel as though I would be able to live with my decision to keep the M2 as my sole DAP and been fine.
Like I said before, the M5 is absolutely better, it's extremely difficult for me to stop listening to music ever since I got it. I thought I was happy when I got the DX80 over the Fiio X3ii and X5ii, but then I heard the M2, and peaked my I retest towards Shanling.. Now the M5 is in my life and I honestly consider everything else obsolete. Which is sad, but my wife uses the M2, and I still use my DX80 from time to time because of the Touchscreen.. I just like to navigate around that way from time to time. Even though I know its eating up valuable resources in the processor department.. It's something I can live with.

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #868 of 1,348
Originalsnuffy, an IT professional will tell you that you always need to disconnect anything before removing from a PC as it doesn't complete the file transfers and some devices need the tag to disconnect otherwise they freeze up, and it can corrupt files etc. So be a good boy and do as your PC tells you.:wink:

Well, with regard to this unit I will follow good IT practices.  Never have to do that with any other USB devices, including my FIIO.  But doing proper disconnections is the price I must pay for audio near nirvana.

I am taking a few days off and brought both the Shanling and the FIIO along.  Did a comparison of a few cuts and no doubt the Shanling sound signature is quite appealing.  Nothing wrong with the FIIO; it is more what is right about the Shanling.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #869 of 1,348
Can anyone comment on this pairing with the HiFiMAN RE-262? I'm hoping this would work well because the M2's high output and high gain should suit the 262's 150ohm impedance ideally. Also, the neutrality and laid back staging intrigues me since the 262 can be quite forward sounding. I just hope this DAP has enough extension at both ends especially the low end since I listen to a lot of electronica. I do, however, want a touch of musicality so it doesn't sound as dry as say an iPod Classic. For reference, I found the Shozy Alien to add just the slightest bit too much warmth and body which is a shame because I love the soundstage and frequency extension. If this doesn't suit my needs perhaps another Shanling will? I read the M3 has a bit of an emphasis on upper mids while the M5 is warmer than the other two so I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm aiming for a response that is as flat as possible. DX90 is another option but I don't want an aggressive presentation that has potential for fatigue. Any feedback is appreciated.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #870 of 1,348
Paired it with jvc fx750 and flc8s and they sounded really good. Less so with the dn2000 hybrid...

From my experience (a month's worth), M2 is more generous and vivid in presenting the mids. The M3 inn comparison was more beautifully refined with the highs. Even with the jvc fx750 the presentation of lows was controlled and less fun sounding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back