Shanling M2 DAP
Jun 3, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #812 of 1,348
  FourRobert:

I am using a 200gb card in my M2 also.  I have some issues but I am not sure what the root cause may be.

I am having a problem with needing to reset my unit periodically after connecting it to my PC for file transfers and charging.  Not related to use as a DAC, as I am not doing that at the moment.

Could be related to the card (though it is a major brand); could be the size of the card, could be a hardware issue, possibly just a firmware bug.  I lean to the latter but Shanling has suggested that I swap units  The swap is planned when my vendor gets the appropriate color in stock.

Just wanted to put that out there as a caveat.   Nothing that is a show stopper as it is easy to reset the unit.

I have hard to reset my X3 Gen II just once since owning it.  I know that you are considering the M2 as you have issues with your X3 freezing.  I do hang out in the X3 threads also as I still have that unit also.

It is very possible that you will have even more freezes with the M2 unit than with the X3.  I certainly do; at least so far.    I have reset the M2 about 10 times in the month I have owned it.  And maybe you will have no freezes at all with an M2 if my freezing experience is hardware related.

I have had no issues noted with regard to browsing various folders.  I do not use playlists.

I really do like the unit; just wanted to share some facts.  The sound quality is quite satisfying in my opinion.

My X3 only froze up when trying to use the new fw when I would update the library after flashing the new fw.  This was the first time I had to reset any FiiO device I've owned.  Went back to 1.4 and no issues.  I'm just looking to try something different.  FiiO has left a bad taste in my mouth with things they've done and products they've released this past year.  So far, from what I've read, your issue with your M2 seems to be just your issue so I'm not to concerned.  Now if I start hearing more instances of your issue, then I may reconsider.  I'm looking real hard at the M2.  It'll be next month before I pick anything up.  I know it doesn't have OTG, but I'm kind of past that.  I have plenty of micro cards so I can swap them out.  Plus I'm keeping the X3 so I'll have options.  Thanks for your input.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #814 of 1,348
Gents, what are you doing? So far I have neither reset nor had my M2 freeze on me at all. I have added firmware and lots of music files from my Windows laptop without any problems at all. Even my Linux laptop has no problems, have you got the right cards and firmware installed? So far I have had no trouble at all! Sorry, I lie, I had a stutter issue but it turned out to be the 64gb card, I needed to clean to card and re-format it, then reloaded all the same music files back on again. But still didn't need to do a reset.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #819 of 1,348
I have been doing new conversions of some of my SACD ISO file rips into DSF format.   Just loaded Hot Rocks and a  few other cuts. 

Now, this unit sounds good with a number of file formats, especially hi res PCM.

But I was seriously impressed by the sound with DSD format files.  Very close to sitting in the control room listening to a final mix from the original analog tapes.

Wow.

I know that I have mentioned some minor issues with needing to reset the unit from time to time; but then I have to remind myself of the essential goodness of the sound from the device.  That far outweighs needed to stick a pin in the device from time to time.

I have been primarily using the LZ-A2 with the JVC spiral dot tips.

Quite yummy.

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #821 of 1,348
Jun 5, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #824 of 1,348
  I have been doing new conversions of some of my SACD ISO file rips into DSF format.   Just loaded Hot Rocks and a  few other cuts. 

Now, this unit sounds good with a number of file formats, especially hi res PCM.

But I was seriously impressed by the sound with DSD format files.  Very close to sitting in the control room listening to a final mix from the original analog tapes.

Wow.

I know that I have mentioned some minor issues with needing to reset the unit from time to time; but then I have to remind myself of the essential goodness of the sound from the device.  That far outweighs needed to stick a pin in the device from time to time.

I have been primarily using the LZ-A2 with the JVC spiral dot tips.

Quite yummy.

Didn't you have a X3 from the beginning? You should've been used to paperclipping I would think
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back