Shanling M2 DAP
May 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #782 of 1,348
A few thoughts.  First, please keep in mind that this unit has a wonderful sound signature that must be balanced against any response to your questions.

The unit does have a limit of 8000 songs with the current firmware.  To my knowledge, Shanling has not commented on whether it is working to remove that limit.  I do not use playlists; I just put music into folders so I do not think that the song limit has an impact on the way I use this machine (or any machine).

Second, I have experienced freezes when connecting it to my via USB PC for charging and file transfers.  There is a pin that is used to choose between the headphone out and line out/coax out that is perfect for doing hardware resets, so it is not a big deal to reset the machine.  But I do have to perform a reset at least once every three days due to my charging and file transfer habits.  Shanling thinks I may have a hardware issue.  I am waiting my retailer to get a gray unit back in stock so I can do a swap.  My vendor has been very responsive in working with me, which is a great sign.

Just to clarify, I rarely use this unit as a DAC.  The USB issues occur during charging and from the process of doing file transfers.

There is also a scenario that the USB related freeze issue is based on firmware.   Anyway, I will get the swap done and report back.  The resets are very easy to do and take no time at all so its not a huge, deal breaking issue for me.

May 30, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #783 of 1,348
Any known issues regarding Shanling M2 ? Freezes , lags , micro sd incompatibilities , song number limitations etc ?
Can it be considered a safe bet ?

No problems here, but then again I use folder browsing. I don't use playlists. I also don't use it as a USB DAC but have tested that feature with older FW and never had it freeze. I've swapped in FAT32 64 and 128GB cards from PNY and SanDisk without any issues.

May 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #792 of 1,348
Shenzhen Audio has the cases in black, blue, and khaki and they do indeed look to be genuine leather.

LINK
Color

Black

Gray

khaki
Where blue?
10354998_1163230610374109_2019116913488970938_n.jpg

May 31, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #793 of 1,348
Hello Xduoophil, you asked how the M2 sounds compared to the X2, well it is very hard to describe. People mention the fact that some units give more detail, I have a DX50, an Xduoo X2 and an M2, the X2 is good but the M2 takes you into an entirely different league, IMHO, it wipes the floor with the DX50 as well, I thought I knew all my albums and everything there was to hear, well I had to re-think all that because the M2 has shown me things I never knew existed in my recordings. On it's own, the M2 is brilliant but I took the line out and put it through an O2 amp and when that is not available, a Minibox-E, both of which improve the sound greatly but only because they have that bit more oomph to drive the headphones, if I change back to the M2 only, the atmosphere and emotion this device can portray is wonderful. In case you didn't already realise, I am hooked on the M2, dream though I may, the A&K's are too expensive for me and I suspect the M2 isn't that far away in quality, what must the M5 sound like??? OOOooooo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back