Shanling H5 - Portable DAC/AMP/Player, AKM AK4493S DACs and sweet warm tuning
Jul 22, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #61 of 320
I had bought my H5 for 2 weeks due to the local play function.
After trying the eddict player, I think not having the large screen is not a big deal for me and instead the sound quality is better than other daps with the similar price range.
The weight is acceptable, but it is better to have a slimmer body in order to fit inside my pocket.
I like this product very much. And now I am considering buying upper model H7 or not.

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #62 of 320
Just purchased the H5 looking forward to having a play.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #63 of 320
New H5 owner. A great device, albeit a little chunky. Juice is barely enough for my Meteors on low gain. Probably the medium gain is the way to go with these IEMs.
Several cons of sd card+eddict player mode (bluetooth) that need to be addresed via updates by Shanling:
-shows the same album cover for some different album tracks in folder, all covers are embedded in files. And there is no cover image file in folder. A fix for this would be great
-cover quality in app in sd card mode is atrocious, why the cover can't be transferred uncompressed from H5 to the eddict player cache and stay there?
-from time to time the link between the app and h5 breaks off while listening to music (!), ruins the whole experience, have to go to SyncLink settings to reconnect
-no control in lock screen mode
-no volume control if the app in the background, super annoying.
-eddict player doesn't have any widgets, so i can't access the player directly from Android UI. Widget feature in the future would be good, so the user woudn't have to open the player all the time

Is there an actual demand for MQA from consumers? Just stop putting it in devices, it ramps up the price while not giving anyting useful in return. Snake oil at its finest.
Would buy a smaller model with the same featues in a heartbeat, especially if the cons above are addressed.

Attachments

• 20230801_195305.jpg
    20230801_195305.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #64 of 320
It's arrived! Not had time to play with sd and eddict control but purely plugged into a budget dap it's sounds pretty great currently listening with epz 530 which are performing wonders with the H5
20230801_212038~4.JPG

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #65 of 320
It's arrived! Not had time to play with sd and eddict control but purely plugged into a budget dap it's sounds pretty great currently listening with epz 530 which are performing wonders with the H520230801_212038~4.JPG
I also paired my EPZ 530 with the Shanling H5. It's a practically definitive combo; I feel like I don't need anything more mobile than these two! The Shanling H5 has a lot of cool features, plus the warm sound I was looking for in a device like this.
PXL_20230801_204739005.jpg

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #66 of 320
Personally I think Shanling should make a more compact unit with the sD card reader but with way less ports. Something simple and go blu esque, no screen, just a DAC and SD card reader. H5 is just too big for my interests after using it personally.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #67 of 320
-shows the same album cover for some different album tracks in folder, all covers are embedded in files. And there is no cover image file in folder. A fix for this would be great
-cover quality in app in sd card mode is atrocious, why the cover can't be transferred uncompressed from H5 to the eddict player cache and stay there?
-from time to time the link between the app and h5 breaks off while listening to music (!), ruins the whole experience, have to go to SyncLink settings to reconnect
-no control in lock screen mode
-no volume control if the app in the background, super annoying.
-eddict player doesn't have any widgets, so i can't access the player directly from Android UI. Widget feature in the future would be good, so the user woudn't have to open the player all the time
- Can you send us example of such folder to test it out? Can share us link over PM.
- It transfers the artwork over slow Bluetooth, it's what it is. Alternative is the Automatic Album art download by the app, but it can be sometimes a bit random, as it's using 3rd party service.
- Are you using Android? On some phones they have more aggressive battery-saving settings and it can stop or end the app in background. You can check battery optimization settings on your phone for this.
- Something we try to work on
- Not possible to have it available everywhere, as then it would be clashing with the phone volume setting.

For MQA, I will say that product development follows set timetables and of course they have some momentum. Just because Tidal decided to eliminate MQA a few weeks ago doesn't mean we can just drop it next day.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 2, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #68 of 320
- Can you send us example of such folder to test it out? Can share us link over PM.
- It transfers the artwork over slow Bluetooth, it's what it is. Alternative is the Automatic Album art download by the app, but it can be sometimes a bit random, as it's using 3rd party service.
- Are you using Android? On some phones they have more aggressive battery-saving settings and it can stop or end the app in background. You can check battery optimization settings on your phone for this.
- Not possible to have it available everywhere, as then it would be clashing with the phone volume setting.

For MQA, I will say that product development follows set timetables and of course they have some momentum. Just because Tidal decided to eliminate MQA a few weeks ago doesn't mean we can just drop it next day.
Just checked. The cover is the same when I skip tracks. I have to go to main menu and return to player control in order for cover art to change.

Screenshots in order:
1.Choosed the song from playlist, the cover is fine.
2. Then skipped to the next song. The cover didn't change.
3. Droped down the player menu, see that the cover has changed already on the mini-player below.
4. I bring the player back and the cover has changed on the main view.

Attachments

• photo_2023-08-02_09-23-52.jpg
    photo_2023-08-02_09-23-52.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2023-08-02_09-23-55.jpg
    photo_2023-08-02_09-23-55.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2023-08-02_09-25-02.jpg
    photo_2023-08-02_09-25-02.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2023-08-02_09-23-58.jpg
    photo_2023-08-02_09-23-58.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #69 of 320
It transfers the artwork over slow Bluetooth, it's what it is. Alternative is the Automatic Album art download by the app, but it can be sometimes a bit random, as it's using 3rd party service.
Just tested it. Well unfortunently it doesn't work if the file already has an album cover, a setting to automatically overwrite the cover art if it was obtained via SyncLink mode would be great then.

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #70 of 320
I just received mine - As I come from Fiio Q5S which is now Aged quite a bit (Age = Battery Bulged and the 3.5 SE inch port of Fiio AM3E went to R.I.P. years ago.)

Initial Less than 24 Hours Impression comparing Fiio Q5S:-

- No heat comparing Fiio Q5S, Despite anything Fiio Q5S heats up quite a lot if the Ambient Temp over 28'C despite load in Bal / SE mode - No matter if it is IEM or HP.
- GAIN control is real in this H5 rather than Fiio Q5S.
- Unique feature of Single / Dual DAC usage of this manufacturer - Maybe this is the cause Fiio Q5S always stays all gun blazing mode.
- Thank God Separate USB port for USB DAC & Charging port - This is a complete PIA for Fiio Q5S.
- Once arrived I plugged in Hiby R2 player first gen with supplied USB-C cable and it sound absolutely amazing - Woh,
(Realized I hardly ever use Fiio Q5S in this way due to its one-port operation with BT on/off charging feature only.)
----------------------
- This is a bold statement I know and needs more and more testing on my part
USB DAC mode (Stacking stand-alone player/phone over the top, in my case old gen Hiby R2 ) sounds far far superior comparing the inbuilt card play.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #72 of 320
I just received mine - As I come from Fiio Q5S which is now Aged quite a bit (Age = Battery Bulged and the 3.5 SE inch port of Fiio AM3E went to R.I.P. years ago.)

Initial Less than 24 Hours Impression comparing Fiio Q5S:-

- No heat comparing Fiio Q5S, Despite anything Fiio Q5S heats up quite a lot if the Ambient Temp over 28'C despite load in Bal / SE mode - No matter if it is IEM or HP.
- GAIN control is real in this H5 rather than Fiio Q5S.
- Unique feature of Single / Dual DAC usage of this manufacturer - Maybe this is the cause Fiio Q5S always stays all gun blazing mode.
- Thank God Separate USB port for USB DAC & Charging port - This is a complete PIA for Fiio Q5S.
- Once arrived I plugged in Hiby R2 player first gen with supplied USB-C cable and it sound absolutely amazing - Woh,
(Realized I hardly ever use Fiio Q5S in this way due to its one-port operation with BT on/off charging feature only.)
----------------------
- This is a bold statement I know and needs more and more testing on my part
USB DAC mode (Stacking stand-alone player/phone over the top, in my case old gen Hiby R2 ) sounds far far superior comparing the inbuilt card play.
Hi Ab10,
May I know have you tested again and confirm if the USB DACE mode is sound far superior comparing inbuilt card playing?
Since I don't have any DAP (I just used smartphone to connect DC03pro or UP4 for listening youtube music)...
Now I've bought H5 and treated as DAP for using, so I downloaded many flac music and save into the mirco-sd card and using mobile to synclink for control the local file playing....
If your statement is confirmed, should I load the flac into my mobile and connect them as USB DAC mode? Many thanks.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #73 of 320
should I load the flac into my mobile and connect them as USB DAC mode? Many thanks.

It would be best if you absolutely did this on your own - Make sure if it is an Andriod phone use bit perfect player that can bypass Andriod Default Sound Stack which is limited to 48KHz max and able to detect USB DAC for music decoding. The result will be the same as having a dedicated DAP.

Also, keep in mind No matter what any other person says - believe your own ear.
Happy Listening.

Sep 4, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #74 of 320
H5 Poster.jpg

At Shanling, we continue to expand our new line of advanced portable DAC/AMPs. Following the release of the high-end H7 model, today we are announcing a lower-positioned H5 model.

Bit more compact and lighter for easier carry, but packed with the same great features. The audio circuit of H5 was inspired by our favourite M6 Ultra and it will provide you with the nicely warm and smooth sound.

H5 is now shipping to Shanling distributors
MSRP 369 USD

resize_01-1(1).jpg

- Rounded Design for comfortable carry

- Based on Ingenic X1000 platform, with 0.87-inch screen for device control

- Integrated MicroSD card slot and local music player (With remote control by Eddict Player app)

- Pair of AKM AK4493S DACs, with similar warm tunning to our M6 Ultra

- 3.5mm, 4.4mm and RCA output

- USB, Coaxial, Optical, Bluetooth input

- Xmos XU316 USB chip

- Amplifier design based around TPA6120 and LTA8092

- Higher output impedance (4.7 Ohm for 3.5mm // 6.6 Ohm for 4.4mm)

- Lower power than H7, at 840mW @ 32Ohm

- Lithium battery 3500MAH/3.8V

- Battery life up to 12.5 hours, depending on exact usage

resize_06(1).jpg
Specification

Dimensions:102 x 85 x 25 mm
Weight: 270.4 g
Screen:0.87-inch Screen
Audio formats: DSD(".iso",".dsf",".dff") / ISO / DXD / APE / FLAC / WAV / AIFF / AlF / DTS / MP3 / WMA / AAC / OGG / ALAC / MP2 / M4A / AC3 / M3U / M3U8/ OPUS
USB Input Hi-Res Support:32 bit / 768 kHz, DSD 512
MicroSD Hi-Res Support:32 bit / 384 kHz, DSD 256
Gain Setting: Three Level Setting
Storage: MicroSD Card Slot, up to 2TB
DAC:2x AKM AK4493SEQ
Digital Filters:6 Preset Filters
Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver
Bluetooth Codec Support: LDAC / AAC / SBC

Outputs:
Single-Ended Output:
Output Power: 2.7V@32Ω(227mW@32Ω)
Frequency Response:20 Hz - 40 kHz (-0.7 dB)
THD+N:0.0014%
Channel separation:80 dB @ 32 Ohm
Dynamic Range:118 dB
Signal-To-Noise:118 dB
Output Impedance:4.7 Ohm

Balanced Output:
Output Power: 5.19V@32Ω(840mW@32Ω)
Frequency Response:20 Hz - 40 kHz (-0.7 dB)
THD+N:0.0004%
Channel separation:105 dB @ 32 Ohm
Dynamic Range:121 dB
Signal-To-Noise:121 dB
Output Impedance:6.6 Ohm

resize_01.1073(1).jpg

Dear Shanling,
May you confirm if the decoding mechanism in USB DAC mode is same as microSD local play mode? Thanks
So the sound quality should be the same?

Quoted:

Sep 4, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #75 of 320
Dear Shanling,
May you confirm if the decoding mechanism in USB DAC mode is same as microSD local play mode? Thanks
So the sound quality should be the same?

Quoted:
On MicroSD card playback, the files are managed by our own software in the H5.
When you are using USB input, you are now dealing with the system of the source, what app you use, if it runs any DSPs or EQ and even the USB cable can affect it.

In our experience, MicroSD card playback offers the best and most stable performance and we saw it confirmed in feedback on H7. Of course personal preferences can affect this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back