SF Maxi Meet
Oct 24, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Sounds like a great meet! I would have loved to come, but I was hanging out with my oldest daughter all day.

My favorite photo from the meet:
HeadFi_SF_16_Small.jpg

Spektrograf takes all the pictures that I wish I had taken at the meets...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody have any more impressions of the Earmax or Blessingx's setup with the Scott Nixon TubeDac? Everyone always gets so enamored with the mega-gear at these things...
tongue.gif

Peace! Hopefully see all you guys next time!

AWESOME PIC! WOW, that is my wallpaper for a little while.. and to think, those are mine... *warm fuzzies

edit: see! sometimes super rigid high-end cables are worth it! LOL (those are cardas cross)

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #62 of 90
Sorry guys, between me talking to Mikhail (geat guy btw, but he was more soft spoken than what i would have expected) and just some otrher junk I had no time to reply. Yes it's true that i spent most of my time using my RnB Audio on the MPX3, but I did have some time to use the Zu's so I hope that this can be somewhate helpful to you. First I think you should read PsychoZX's review which can be found here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136316

He does a limited comparison to the Zu Mobius.

For my own impressions of the Zu Mobius, firstly I'd like to comment on asthetics. As I expected, the Zu cable is much more rigid than the Grace Five Two. The material encasing the wiring also seems to be thicker, either that or another material between the outer casing and the wire wire itself, but the RnB is much more bendable. Both cables are very good quality however.

For me the Zu cables seemed very lifeless and unengaging for example in the Josh Graoban track, "You raise me Up" the music was much more engaging. It seemed that I was an actual part of the audience. In my opinion the Zu Cable was very dry and lifeless. The sound was much more subdued with the Zu, laid back in the sense that the distance from the listener and the singer was much larger. It also did not capture Josh's vocal nuances. For example, the vibrato was there, but it seemed lifeless and lacking the richness and body that I have come to expect when listening to Josh on my Grace 5-2 and my PC speaker set up. I don't really know how to describe lifeless, but for me (and having done it) it's like the difference between sining outdoors un-miced (or in another poor aucoustic venue) as compared to a better venue like some churches or concert halls.

I also feel that the instrumental nuances were much more detailed in the RnB. I had the sense that I could here the violinists fingertips and that the RnB better articulated their bowstrokes rather than having it play back like the muzak that you'd hear in an elevator

In reference to the bass, it seemed that the Zu's clearly out did the RnB in terms of impact and slam, but the RnB's bass was much tighter and more accurate. In short, I think it's just an issue what you are looking for in your music and/or what music you listen to. Personally I listen to mostly classical and pop. If you're looking for music that emphasized more on bass slam or impact, perhaps the Zu may be a better option. However realize that these are only my own impressions, YMMV.

Just as a concluding note, I think that alot may depend on the source, s I found that listening to the MPX3 out of a couple different soruces (Onix CD-1, Sony portable, etc..) did yeild different results in souurce so I have to say that the sound production is also dependent on the type of sound that the source outputs for the listener.

Eh.. that's it for now I'll update more when my brain feels better.

PS: I'm almost done with my amp configuration.

Right now I am at the MPX3 with:

Solen 1
PIO caps
Blackgate capacitors
Partial silver wiring
Stepped attentuator

The only question mark exists with the 12V upgrade and if it would be wise to do that. There is only a $125 difference in price however.

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #63 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Yep, checked they are #26. rhythmdevils, I know Grado QC isn't the best but I'm pretty sure mine didn't come like that.

Mine have the same marks yet have barely left the box.. no offense but its probably just the first time you noticed them.

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #64 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
This was the second meet where I heard ayt999's R-10s but it was the first time I appreciated them. I tried them on the Mad Maxxed MPX3 and they sounded pretty darn good with ayt's balanced-to-1/4 adapters in place. I was impressed with the sound from my new amp into these famed cans and actually wondered why the same amp didn't sound as good with them in San Jose. The driver tube was different but otherwise I don't get the difference. Maybe it was because I didn't own it at the time!
k1000smile.gif

that really makes no sense.
tongue.gif
my R10's are not balanced and terminated with a 1/4 inch plug so you should have been able to plug them directly into your MPX3. now, if you used it with the SDS-XLR then the adaptor would have been useful. neilvg also mentioned a balanced R10... was there one around that I didn't know about?

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #65 of 90
Oops. I didn't remember correctly then.
eek.gif
I know I used them on both amps, but the adapter must have been going the other direction from 1/4 into XLR. So many amps and cans and adapters and such that I didn't recall. I still think they sounded good on mine and better on yours. I will edit my post to take out the goof.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #66 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Oops. I didn't remember correctly then.
eek.gif
I know I used them on both amps, but the adapter must have been going the other direction from 1/4 into XLR. So many amps and cans and adapters and such that I didn't recall. I still think they sounded good on mine and better on yours. I will edit my post to take out the goof.
rolleyes.gif

Nice Avatar Volt! Hahahaha my brainwashing worked! Just kidding, yeah I mentally knew we were using a single ended R10 but from the way I have it pictured in my mind, I see it plugged into AYT's XLR adapter so hence the obfuscation!

W0000PS
=)

Neil

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #67 of 90
I had a great meet, I wish I'd had a few more hours given all the gear to try out. Many thanks to Voltron for the snazzy digs and everyone for bringing in so much drool-worthy hardware.

Much has been said of the HE60 vs HE90 vs R10 discussion so I'll opt out, as I didn't really have the time I'd need to compare, and Dark Side of the Moon is not a record I'm too familiar with anyway.

But it was interesting trying out the HF-1s with a number of different pads, and the odd thing was that I liked the stock bowls the most for overall sound.. otherwise the sound came across a little too dark and muddy for my taste (not enough treble I think). Its like they needed some room to image, or maybe the bass was overwhealming. It was odd not having a Grado being the brightest phone in the room though.
eek.gif

I also played around with the DT660s some more at home.. I'd just swapped the soft pads for the pleather ones, as they tend to seal a little better and reduce outside noise. However at the meet they sounded really bright and harsh to me. While they've always been on the brighter and revealing side they never seemed harsh to me so that was a bit odd. I ended up A/Bing them between the two pads and it turns out the pleather pads make it significantly brighter. Probably more reflection vs the more absorptive soft pads.. or it could be distance thing (soft pads seem a little thinner). Next time I'll leave the soft pads on.

Biggest regrets? Didn't get a chance to listen to the HP2's since I'm curious about picking up a pair, and some real A/B time between the electrostats and the R10 on some familiar music. Next time!

Oct 25, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #69 of 90
Alex,

Too bad it didn't make it to the meet but it wasn't because you didn't try
wink.gif

Me ignorant, what is the third knob besides the volume and input selector? Bass boost?

So when is the next meet
biggrin.gif
? Maybe I'll just wait for your impressions
k1000smile.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #70 of 90
that's the bass boost.

a very nice sounding amp.
biggrin.gif
I need to gather up my amps so I can compare them, but it's off to a great start.

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Actually, Brimar also made a round-plate 6SN7GT, but the sound isn't worth writing home about. I should try them again at some point, just to confirm previous impressions, but once I put them away I pretty much ignored them after that. The Tung Sol is in another (better) class entirely.

Tungsol RP as inputs and Syl bad boys or Syl 6SN7W talls as output are still my favorite.In a close second place are National Union Grey glass as inputs followed by the Syl's as above.

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #72 of 90
thanks for the impressions PFK, I was wondering what your thoughts were myself, as I have never listened to the mobius, It does instill some confidence in me that I seem to be heading in the right direction.

You seem very knowledgeable in terms of understanding live performances and critical ear to discern the essence of music. Coming from the same way you look at music, I respect your opinion very much so.

Once again, I found your impressions very informative.

God bless,
Myo

Oct 27, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #73 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
Voltron's new tung sol is the round plate variety. (really an interesting tube structurally, only other one I know of like that is the Neotron tube, which I think you also tried out and should have sounded similar. it was the one in the yellow-ish box with a tube on it.)

actually, the neotron branded tube is simply a rebranded mazda - afaik the 2 tubes (tungsol RP & mazda/neotron) are completely different sounding.

they were also made in completely different times and places; TS - 1940s+ USA, MZ/NT - 1960s+France.

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #74 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
actually, the neotron branded tube is simply a rebranded mazda - afaik the 2 tubes (tungsol RP & mazda/neotron) are completely different sounding.

they were also made in completely different times and places; TS - 1940s+ USA, MZ/NT - 1960s+France.

so I didn't include the complete details of the history and rebranding of the tubes
rolleyes.gif
but is there anything wrong with calling a tube that has Neotron on the box and tube as a Neotron?

and what's this about saying "afaik the two tubes are completely different sounding." from that I doubt you've compared them, since otherwise you'll know for sure most likely. I have quite a few of both tubes, and compared them, and the whatever tube sounded a lot closer to the tung sol round plate than any other tube I compared it with.

I also said that it was a similar sound, not identical. there are many differences, but the overall feel is similar to me. this also doesn't mean that they are necessarily in the same class. stuff can have similar sounds yet one can be a lot better than another.

anyways, I name a tube to see if Voltron tried it out and include a short comment on why I think he should have tried it and in return I get replies that have nothing to do with why I posted that.
rolleyes.gif
this is a meet impressions thread guys.

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #75 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
The only question mark exists with the 12V upgrade and if it would be wise to do that. There is only a $125 difference in price however.

The cost of the 12v upgrade will pay for it self in no time! Consider that a nice set of vintage 6SN7 tubes will set you back a good $150-200
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back