SF Maxi Meet
Oct 23, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #16 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
LA and AT, we need a navagator next time, OK?
biggrin.gif

Did you get home just before posting that message? Drag. I hope your kids didn't run in an jump on you at 7am or something. Thanks again for doing all that driving utep. Next ime we will go more lean on the gear or actually go up to the source instead of taking it one the road.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Of course the Orpheus is better, but I don't beleive the blue hawaii was doing a good job today, we had some channel imbalance issues which have been plaguing this amp for some time it seems, but additionally, some material wasn't sounding too spectacular at times, and tended to be overly bright with this amp.

If there have been channel imbalance issues with the HE90 and any amp besides the HEV90, the owner should probably be following this thread.

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 90
Thanks AL! that was an awsome meet. I had so much fun. You all are great.

I think we should do it again soon.
wink.gif

First of all, The HD650 Balanced rocked my world. That combo is godly. I dont think i have ever been that impressed by any piece of audio equipment. I think it surpassed the Orpheus in many ways.

Orpheus- you put them on, and then they disapear. its amazing. they are so transparent, you cannot pinpoint where the notes are coming from. they come from all around, over your head, under your feet, behind you, inside you. its really something. and they have this light airy sound that makes me feel like i can reach inside them and float and weeve in and out of the music. it sounds almost as airy as the K1000 but without the unbalanced sound signiture. It did sound a little edgy and bright at times, but i think i blame that on the problems the amp was having yesterday.

HD650 Balanced- The most impact i have ever heard. and that includes speakers! I think Neilvg summed it up pretty well. It seemed to be detailed, while maintaining a lush smoothness, be aggressive with strong attack, but still maintain that gentle sennheiser sound, the bass was deep, tight and sooooooo strong and solid. unbelievable. it felt like hulk hogan was grabbing me by the ears and shaking me.

the L3000 didnt do it for my on any of the amps. it did have a silky quality to the highs and mids. But overal, i didnt like it. it wasnt exactly bright, and definitely wasnt harsh, but it sounded icy and cold to me. Especially since we had the balanced 650's and orpheus in the house.

I spent a lot of time trying to A/B the SR71 and the SM3. They really sound incredibly similar. I found the SR71 had a nice warmth that gave the music a musical and liquid sound. the SM3 seemed to be more neutral, punchy and fast, but not harsh or bright. in a blind test i preferred the SM3
confused.gif
but it was hard to tell. they both sounded great with my HF1.

My HP2 also sounded incredible with the SDX (unblanced). It took on all the charracteristics that everyone raves about. it was smooth, detailed, punchy, analytical, but not harsh. incredibly neutral. and also very transparent. (but no match for the HE90
evil_smiley.gif
)

I didnt actually spend as much time listening as i wanted to. There was so much gear it was a bit overwhelming. And so many cool people, I wound up talking quite a bit
biggrin.gif
It was fun, but it would also be nice to have a super focussed listening session soon....

thanks everyone!

Oct 23, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 90
first of all, thanks a lot Voltron for hosting this meet!! I really liked the cozy atmosphere and the snacks you provided. the table you had ready seemed a bit weak to handle all the heavy gear on it (we estimated it to have near 200 pounds on top)
wink.gif
but it held up so I suppose it was fine.
tongue.gif

and a great big thank you to utep10 and NeilPeart for driving all the way up to Santa Rosa to pick me up for the meet, along with the pile of gear. I doubt I would have made the effort to get to the meet myself, especially with the amount of gear we brought. navigator? what's that?
smily_headphones1.gif

It was quite tiring carrying all the gear from place to place, but it seemed to be well worth it. I doubt I would want to do it again anytime soon though. it also took longer than usual to set up. wasn't too bad though since Voltron left me plenty of room for the gear.

I think I'll start off with a few comments on my gear and explain the setups we used.

first, there was no balanced R10. neilvg must have been hallucinating or something.
wink.gif
I had plans of recabling mine, but never got around to it in time for the meet. I think he was referring to using the R10's with a convertor so it hooks up to the SDS-XLR with dual XLR's to get the most out of the amp with true dual mono amplification. nice setup, but a balanced one seems to be worth it from what little info is out there about this configuration.

most unbalanced headphones when used with the SDS-XLR used a convertor so it can benefit from being driven in dual mono, with one driver tube per channel. I think some people plugged unbalanced headphones directly into the 1/4 jacks on the SDS-XLR, but since the input was XLR for the whole duration of the meet from what I can tell, all they were getting was the positive signal in one channel, and the negative signal (of the same channel as the positive one) in the other. I doubt this happened a lot though, I saw the convertor used most of the time.

the balanced headphones included the L3000, Qualia 010 (with a variety of cables), HD650 (with one made from the stock cable, and a solid silver wire one), and the PS1.

the tubes on the SDS-XLR were usually a pair of 6SN7W black bases as drivers, with a quad of Bad Boys as the output tubes. we also used a pair of tung sol round plates in place of the 6SN7W when using headphones such as the MDR-R10 to make it more enjoyable. there were a few settings on the SDS-XLR that people could have used, and hopefully people figured it out. the volume attenuation should have been with the dual 45 position stepped attenuators for the duration of the meet (the digital volume control wasn't used except for a few instances when I was messing around with the settings). there are three settings to change the sound. one is the circuit without the solen stage capacitors, another puts them in the circuit (we used this one primarily since it also has the best resolution), and another with the solen stage and a circuit to attenuate the highs a bit (nice with the Qualia 010 and R10).

no clue what was going on with my DHA3000. it sounded great at home IIRC, and it wasn't so good at the meet being quite bright and having a bloomed midrange or something. I probably should have listened to the DHA3000 with the L3000 more closely at the meet (I barely got a listen after neilvg commented on the sound) but I didn't so cannot say much more. well, it was a meet so you cannot expect too much from it.
wink.gif
there's some more impressions on the DHA3000 in the san mateo meet impressions from the meet we had earlier this year in february.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
If there have been channel imbalance issues with the HE90 and any amp besides the HEV90, the owner should probably be following this thread.

uh... hi Hirsch? I posted in that thread so that probably is a good indication that I was following it. I didn't say anything about what mods I did since I didn't think it was necessary, but here they are....

I installed the HE90 plug directly since I wasn't using the Omega-II at all, changed the bias current to 500 volts, and also changed the output resistor to 10M total. all this was done at least a week before the meet. to me that seems to be a complete fix in terms of what is outlined in the thread.

anyways I've been using the Blue Hawaii with my HE90 at least since last December. not like I just got this pair and have no clue what I am doing. it was doing fine until recently (it started to show problems after I got it back from the san jose meet whatever that means) and I'm not quite sure what the difference is. I thought it was fixed and I didn't notice any issues prior to taking it down for the meet, but then it started to show some serious balance issues at this meet again.

take a look at the san mateo meet impressions from february for another take at my Blue Hawaii with HE90 in meet conditions. no issues there, and that's with the Blue Hawaii running under STAX bias voltage and output resistance.

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
uh... hi Hirsch? I posted in that thread so that probably is a good indication that I was following it. I didn't say anything about what mods I did since I didn't think it was necessary, but here they are....

I installed the HE90 plug directly since I wasn't using the Omega-II at all, changed the bias current to 500 volts, and also changed the output resistor to 10M total. all this was done at least a week before the meet. to me that seems to be a complete fix in terms of what is outlined in the thread.

anyways I've been using the Blue Hawaii with my HE90 at least since last December. not like I just got this pair and have no clue what I am doing. it was doing fine until recently (it started to show problems after I got it back from the san jose meet whatever that means) and I'm not quite sure what the difference is. I thought it was fixed and I didn't notice any issues prior to taking it down for the meet, but then it started to show some serious balance issues at this meet again.

Hi Alex, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't aware of the issues or had not taken measures. However, I did not re-read the entire thread again to see who had and had not posted (which doesn't mean there weren't lurkers), so when I saw the channel imbalance issue, I posted the link just in case. I think that part of the fix is going to involve finding out who has done what with which amp, and seeing what has worked, and what hasn't.

In any event, I'm not convinced that the full story of how to power the HE90 reliably off of amps other than the HEV90 or Headamp Antaeus is known yet. When I dropped the bias voltage on the 007t and increased the bias resistor, the sonic hit was too much for me (the amp became unlistenable). So, I'm back up at Stax bias with the resistor in place, and all is going well. However, gpalmer's HE90 shows a channel imbalance at that configuration out of that amp, while mine does not. It appears that individual differences in the tolerances of the headphones may play a role.

Sorry about the diversion.

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 90
Maybe at the next meet we'll have a few Hornets and some other goodies. Is anyone else going to order a Hornet?

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #25 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Hi Alex, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't aware of the issues or had not taken measures.

no problems Hirsch.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was sort of confused when I saw that since I thought you knew that I didn't have any problems with the setup, at least I never posted anything about issues between my Blue Hawaii and my HE90 ever since I got the headphone early last winter. but just to make sure we both are on the same page regarding my amp, since I haven't done so already, I wanted to lay out the mods I did to it.

so... after some more testing, I have to pretty much conclude that the Blue Hawaii is the problem, but it's probably not what you were expecting.

the sound is fine with the RCA inputs and there isn't any problem at all. it is when I use the XLR inputs that there's something really odd going on and the right channel really goes down in volume. I connected the RCA and XLR outputs from the Accuphase to the Blue Hawaii and switching between them you can clearly hear the right channel getting louder with the RCA inputs compared to the XLR. (the output level of the RCA and XLR on my source is exactly the same, and with the way the Blue Hawaii amp works by generating a balanced signal from the RCA, and simply using the balanced signal from the XLR if that is used, I shouldn't be hearing any difference sound level wise if everything is working properly)

not sure why this is happening, but I also tried it with the XLR outputs from my RME HSDP 9632 soundcard, and I get the same problem to rule out the Accuphase as the cause of the problem.

now... why didn't we think of using the RCA inputs on the Blue Hawaii during the meet?
tongue.gif
I switched the tubes, wondered about the bias and other possible issues with the circuit (I would have tested the bias, but I forgot to bring the DMM despite packing the other tools needed to open the case up and adjusting the bias), and messed around with the volume control on both the source and amp. apparently I was pretty well zoned out during the meet.
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #26 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Those are some really artistic photographs! Must have missed you -- did you leave early?

Thanks! Yeah, I left a bit after 5pm to catch the "John Jorgenson Quintet" at Freight & Salvage w/ my gf. That was about the funnest concert I've been to in a LOOOOOOOOOOOnngggggg time!
biggrin.gif
That band puts to shame all those bands that "fix it in post". Man, they are TIGHT, swingin' and in the pocket!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #27 of 90
Just a friendly reminder to be careful with people's equipment at the meets. The bottom of my HF-1 plastic cups seemed to have been chipped away at or dropped leaving two noticable dents and chips about 0.5cm x 0.5cm in dimension
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

DSC01960.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #30 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Neil,

I'm very sure about it. Since I've played around with exchanging the pads on the HF-1's, I would have noticed this earlier if such was the case. My HF-1's came without a mark on them.

Are they on both or just 1 side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back