Setting up a Schiit stack with my computer / headphones
Oct 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 34
That's the cheapest shipping option?! ​

To France yep :/

I found those, are they what i need ?

https://www.amazon.fr/cuivre-desoxyg%C3%A9n%C3%A9-Fiches-St%C3%A9r%C3%A9o-Plaqu%C3%A9s/dp/B003PTVLQK/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1477012302&sr=8-48&keywords=cable+rca+2+plugs

https://www.thomann.de/fr/cordial_cfu_03_cc.htm?ref=search_prv_1

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #17 of 34
You might want to add a USB isolator and a USB -> SPDIF converter as well on top of your Schiit Stack. Just kidding hehe.

Connecting those is just as simple as USB cable from computer -> USB power isolator such as Schiit Wyrd or iFi iUSB -> USB cable -> USB to Spdif converter such as W4S uLink or Singxer F-1 -> Coaxial cable -> Schiit DAC -> RCA or XLR cable -> Schiit AMP -> headphones or active speakers.

Here's my computer speaker setup with Schiit Stack along with the USB power isolator and USB to SPDIF converter:

My computer is Surface Pro 3 on the right.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 34
Oh my, Monoprice is charging 37 dollars for international shipping on those 2 cables lol. I guess i'm gonna have to find something similar on Amazon france :p
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B003PU2LWW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1477012671&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rca+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=51WkRFrjcxL&ref=plSrch
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B0039OKD8I/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1477012829&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=usb+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41g87q4LBmL&ref=plSrch
Something like these will do also.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 34

Connecting those is just as simple as USB cable from computer -> USB power isolator such as Schiit Wyrd or iFi iUSB -> USB cable -> USB to Spdif converter such as W4S uLink or Singxer F-1 -> Coaxial cable -> Schiit DAC -> RCA or XLR cable -> Schiit AMP -> headphones or active speakers.

Don't want to offend you, but that sounds much more complicated to me than what the previous posters said :p But it probably sound complicated because i have very rudimentary knowledge in this stuff. Is the isolator a mandatory thing ? the Wyrd is 100 dollars and to be honest, i'm already off budget with the stack and the headphones :p

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 34
Don't want to offend you, but that sounds much more complicated to me than what the previous posters said :p But it probably sound complicated because i have very rudimentary knowledge in this stuff. Is the isolator a mandatory thing ? the Wyrd is 100 dollars and to be honest, i'm already off budget with the stack and the headphones :p
I believe it was a joke no need for any of that.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 34

That's why I wrote "Just Kidding" Not mandatory. I just have an OCD thing regarding getting the best out of your DAC and AMP. Those isolators and converters make me feel at peace that I am not bottlenecking my DAC with "impure" USB signal LOL.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 34
Lol ok i fell for it :p Not gonna abuse more of your time, you all have been of precious help and i thank you for that. Will get back to you in case i have problems during the setup when i have all the products at home :)

Anyways, i was clueless when i joined 4 days ago and now i know much more and already have 23 posts. I hope for the sake of my wallet it's not the start of an audiophile passion :p

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 34
Lol ok i fell for it :p Not gonna abuse more of your time, you all have been of precious help and i thank you for that. Will get back to you in case i have problems during the setup when i have all the products at home :)

Anyways, i was clueless when i joined 4 days ago and now i know much more and already have 23 posts. I hope for the sake of my wallet it's not the start of an audiophile passion :p
Most likely your wallet is going to be very unhappy with you ; )

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #24 of 34
Hi guys, so i finally received the stack and installed it following your instructions. It works perfectly but i have a problem, the DAC doesn't power off when i shutdown my computer. Same for the ampli, but as it has a switch to power it off, it's not an issue. Should i just let the DAC powered ? Isn't that going to be an issue with overheating ? Or it is better if i unplug the USB cable every time ?

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #26 of 34
Leaving them on is not an issue. If you want to make it easier to switch everything off you can use a surge protector with a switch on it. Plug all you electronics into it, flip the switch after you shut your computer down.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #28 of 34
I have what might be a stupid question, but on 95% of the pictures of the stack i'm seeing, the amp is placed on top and the DAC underneath. Is there a specific reason for that ? I like to put the amp underneath, because the weight of the DAC keeps it firmly in place and prevent the amp from moving when i'm pulling a little too much on the headphones cable. Any contraindication to that ? The amp seems to heat more, so i'm suspecting it might not be a great idea to put it under. Maybe i should just go with a cable extension for my headphones and put the stack in the way it's apparently supposed to be ?

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #29 of 34
  I have what might be a stupid question, but on 95% of the pictures of the stack i'm seeing, the amp is placed on top and the DAC underneath. Is there a specific reason for that ? I like to put the amp underneath, because the weight of the DAC keeps it firmly in place and prevent the amp from moving when i'm pulling a little too much on the headphones cable. Any contraindication to that ? The amp seems to heat more, so i'm suspecting it might not be a great idea to put it under. Maybe i should just go with a cable extension for my headphones and put the stack in the way it's apparently supposed to be ?

IMO it's probably that some amps get very hot to touch (for example the Schiit Asgard 2 or Lyr) that they needed ventilation from the surrounding. If the amp does not get warm after being left on for hours, you can safely put the DAC on top of it. Most DACs OTOH aren't designed to run at elevated temperatures than room temperature and as such it's a good practice to stack the hotter amp to the DAC. In my experience, I wouldn't stack a very hot amp like the Schiit Asgard 2 on top of my DAC since the heat gets transferred to the DAC as well.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 34
I tried to unstack them to test, the DAC remains completely cold, even when used for several hours. The amp is getting hot, but not even close to the point of burning when touching it. Putting it under the DAC is probably not a good idea as i guess this heat need to be ventilated. Putting it on top of the DAC, the heat is contamining a bit the DAC, but i guess it's acceptable as most owners seems to use it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back