Seting Up JRMC Remote Access
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Theogenes

Headphoneus Supremus
This is almost certainly elementary for a lot of you guys, but it wasn't for me, so I thought I'd post this and share it (especially since I didn't see a super simple set of instructions for this anywhere else).

My problem was this: I had J. River Media Center 19 (JRMC) set up to allow me to stream media while I was at home on my wifi network, but it would not work when I was away from the apartment (i.e., not on my wifi network). (Generally, in order to be able to have your media available to you to stream even on your home network, you need to go to JRMC > Tools > Options > Media Network > check "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA," and you'll set it up from there).

Essentially, you have to set up port forwarding in order to allow your media to be accessible outside your home network. I don't even really know what all that means; but here's how I got it working:

Step 1: Configuring Your Router:

A). Locate your JRMC server IP address: from your computer, hit Start (or if you're using Windows 8, hover on the right-hand side of your screen, select the gear charm that pops up) and go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > View Network Computers and Devices. Right-click on "[Your compute rname here] JRMC19 DLNA", select "Properties," and using the IP address found in the popup box there. It should look something like 192.168.1.9. You'll need to save this for later.

B). Log into your router: go to your internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer if you love frustration), and in the address bar where you'd normally type a website like "www.google.com," type 192.168.1.1. This will generally take you to your personal router's page.
  1. Some routers or configurations have different IP addresses; can't help you there, google your router model for help.
  2. If it asks you for a username and password, just google your router model and "default password" to find the defaults. (For example, google "netgear wndr4100 password" and look for a page that provides you with the default login and password).

C). Setting up port forwarding: Once logged into your router, you'll need to locate the section dealing with port forwarding. (Mine was under "Advanced.") You need create a port forwarding service (there will probably be a button or option for doing that in the port forwarding menu), and the settings that worked for me were these:

1. Service Name: JRMC (or anything you want, really)
  2. Protocol: TCP/UDP (no idea if this matters)
  3. Starting and Ending Port: 52199 (very important, unless you've changed this in your JRMC settings, which you shouldn't have done unless you know what you're doing)
  4. Server IP Address: this will look something like 192.168.1.40, which is the address you got from step A above.

Step 2: Configuring JRMC:

At this point, you should be set up to be able to access your media outside your home network, but you should test it to make sure it works first.

A).  Testing your setup: In JRMC, go to Tools > Options > Media Network > "..." beside "Access Key" > "Test connection to this server." If it tells you that you cannot access your network externally, something is wrong. If it provides you with an access key and says "You can load this server on any client by adding a library to the tree (Playing Now > Playing From) and entering the network access key above," you should be golden! Save that access key (should be a random string of 6 or so letters), as that's how you'll log into your personal JRMC media rather than anybody else's.

B). Remote access application: I use Android personally, so I downloaded the "Gizmo" application by JRiver from the Play Store. When it asks you for your access key, enter the 6-ish string of letters you got from the step above. Voila! Obviously, if you're using Apple or the web client, you won't be using the Gizmo app-- search around for more info on that, because I'm not going to be much help.

Notes and disclaimers: I am absolutely, positively nothing resembling an expert on this stuff, so please understand that many parts of this may look different for you based on your setup, and I'm going to have essentially zero idea of how to translate it for your personal configuration. Somebody else around here could probably help, so I'm not telling you to avoid asking questions; just know that I'm probably not going to have the answers for you, unfortunately. I'm putting this out there in the hopes that it makes things a bit simpler for some of the people out there who can operate a mouse but can't hack into a Russian satellite from a graphing calculator.

Hope this makes things easier for somebody! If not, blame violence in the media or something
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back