Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
Feb 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #511 of 633
I bought the 180 and 220 quite a while back and found both to have this barely audible white noise. You'll only notice it during quiet parts. But when you do notice it is extremely annoying as it ruins the immersion. Such is life with wireless.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #515 of 633
The firesale for these are all over the internet:
Amazon.com, Crutchfield, Vminnovations, bhphotovideo,ebay... I can go on and on.
I like Crutchfield and Vminnovations, and bhphotovideo because they all are authorized dealers, free shipping, and no tax.
Happy shopping! All of these dealers are selling RS 180 for $200 free shipping! Get them while they're hot!

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #517 of 633
So has anyone heard the new RS 185 and RS 195 and been able to do a comparison with them and the RS 220? Just wondering which one sounds better, the 220 or one of the newer ones.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #518 of 633
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 28, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #519 of 633
Can someone help me decide on getting the right headphones ? There are total 8 headphones in old RS line and new one.
I want portability and a good/decent movie watching experience.

The only one portable in old RS line is rs 160 but from what i am reading it lacks bass and punch which are the main emphasis of action movies. Its portable and closed headphone. So its good everywhere. Disadvantages is lack of punch. But the price point at which its available right now is really good.

the rs175 looks to be portable because there is audio jack right on the headphone (or not ?). I am hoping to use it as regular headphones outside or in office even with batteries discharged. Would they sound the same as with batteries minus the bass boost and surround function  ? 
disadvantage is its 279. For 200$ i can get hd558 and ath-m40x which i can use at home and outside respectively. Although i lose the wireless advantage i do pay less. Also its more than twice of  rs 160 set.

The rs165 doesnt look portable. It does have bass boost but that would be with help of transmitter which isnt portable. its pricy at 220 as well.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #520 of 633
  Can someone help me decide on getting the right headphones ? There are total 8 headphones in old RS line and new one.

The only one portable in old RS line is rs 160 but from what i am reading it lacks bass and punch which are the main emphasis of action movies. Its portable and closed headphone. So its good everywhere. Disadvantages is lack of punch. But the price point at which its available right now is really good.

the rs175 looks to be portable because there is audio jack right on the headphone (or not ?). I am hoping to use it as regular headphones outside or in office even with batteries discharged. Would they sound the same as with batteries minus the bass boost and surround function  ? 
disadvantage is its 279. For 200$ i can get hd558 and ath-m40x which i can use at home and outside respectively. Although i lose the wireless advantage i do pay less. Also its more than twice of  rs 160 set.

The rs165 doesnt look portable. It does have bass boost but that would be with help of transmitter which isnt portable. its pricy at 220 as well.

I think you're looking at the wrong set of cans.  Why don't you purchase a pair that suits your tastes and budgets...regular wired headphones as you have suggested at the bottom of your post and then purchase a product that makes them wireless for your home use?  There are a few out there that will hook up to your TV and transmit to a small unit that you can wire into from your normal headphones.

Best of luck.

HS

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #521 of 633

None of the RS series are portable afaik. They all work as wireless headphones only and you need to have the transmitter connected to the tv or computer or phone for it to work. None of the original series could be connected through an audio jack on the headphones. I did not see any audio jack on any of the new models including the 175. The RS 160 is only somewhat portable as you still need to carry the transmitter with you wherever you go (the round port on the headphones is a charging port). It just happens to be very small and runs on batteries instead of mains power.  If you want portable wireless headphones you will need to look at bluetooth headphones. They generally aren't the greatest for watching movies due to latency issues. If you want something that can work as wireless at home its better to buy a set of wired headphones and buy something like the Avantree Saturn Pro which supports low latency bluetooth. Not fully wireless but you will only need to connect your headphones to the bluetooth adapter and not the tv.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #522 of 633

I think you're looking at the wrong set of cans.  Why don't you purchase a pair that suits your tastes and budgets...regular wired headphones as you have suggested at the bottom of your post and then purchase a product that makes them wireless for your home use?  There are a few out there that will hook up to your TV and transmit to a small unit that you can wire into from your normal headphones.

Best of luck.

HS

Thanks for your input. I do think these are wrong set of cans. I thought of rs 170 which is good for movies and is decent for music and is closed But it isnt portable. I really like the hd 558s (many reviews tell they are good for movies) but i cant take them outside and ll have to buy another pair of closed headphones for that purpose. Hence i was thinking of rs 160 or rs 175. But i just went through rs 175 user guide and the headphones dont have any audio jack on them. so they arent portable either.

None of the RS series are portable afaik. They all work as wireless headphones only and you need to have the transmitter connected to the tv or computer or phone for it to work. None of the original series could be connected through an audio jack on the headphones. I did not see any audio jack on any of the new models including the 175. The RS 160 is only somewhat portable as you still need to carry the transmitter with you wherever you go (the round port on the headphones is a charging port). It just happens to be very small and runs on batteries instead of mains power.  If you want portable wireless headphones you will need to look at bluetooth headphones. They generally aren't the greatest for watching movies due to latency issues. If you want something that can work as wireless at home its better to buy a set of wired headphones and buy something like the Avantree Saturn Pro which supports low latency bluetooth. Not fully wireless but you will only need to connect your headphones to the bluetooth adapter and not the tv.

i just checked the rs 175 user guide and the headphones dont have any jack on them. I ll check out the avantree headphones. Thanks for your reply.

So far i am down to rs 160 and hd 558 (disadvantage of hd 558 is its open and leaks sound). 
I am checking the sony 10r headphones(100$ ones)which are not wireless. Do you guys have any thoughts about it ? 

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #523 of 633

Thanks for your input. I do think these are wrong set of cans. I thought of rs 170 which is good for movies and is decent for music and is closed But it isnt portable. I really like the hd 558s (many reviews tell they are good for movies) but i cant take them outside and ll have to buy another pair of closed headphones for that purpose. Hence i was thinking of rs 160 or rs 175. But i just went through rs 175 user guide and the headphones dont have any audio jack on them. so they arent portable either.
i just checked the rs 175 user guide and the headphones dont have any jack on them. I ll check out the avantree headphones. Thanks for your reply.

So far i am down to rs 160 and hd 558 (disadvantage of hd 558 is its open and leaks sound). 
I am checking the sony 10r headphones(100$ ones)which are not wireless. Do you guys have any thoughts about it ? 

The Avantree Saturn Pro isn't a pair of headphones. It's a bluetooth transmitter/receiver. You would need 2 of them one in transmitter mode connected to the tv and one in receiver mode connected to your headphones via 3.5mm cable. That way you would have a low latency aptx connection between them. There is almost always latency issues (lip sync delays) with bluetooth otherwise. Best option I've seen if you want one pair of headphones for everything with (almost) wireless abilities.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #524 of 633
I recently bought the rs 160 because TSA "lost" my older wired sennheiser 419's. I find that the inside of the ear pads are too small. Anyone know of any replacement pads that will fit or somehow to modify these to be more comfortable?

Does sennheiser offer any other wireless sets that have larger inside deminsions for the ears that are more comfortable? (I dont want to spend $500, but willing to spend a decent amount for top notch)

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #525 of 633
  I recently bought the rs 160 because TSA "lost" my older wired sennheiser 419's. I find that the inside of the ear pads are too small. Anyone know of any replacement pads that will fit or somehow to modify these to be more comfortable?

Does sennheiser offer any other wireless sets that have larger inside deminsions for the ears that are more comfortable? (I dont want to spend $500, but willing to spend a decent amount for top notch)

Thanks!

The RS 220 ear cups are definitely much bigger the 160, 170, 180 cups. Not sure if you can still find that model though. The newer models also seem to be pretty big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back