Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Jul 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #91 of 440
Hello BumpThumper,

That was a massive post! Congrats on your purchase and I'm glad that you like both RS 175 and HDR 185. I think plenty of Head-Fiers will find your impressions very useful. Thanks very much for putting the effort into this informative post! 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 25, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #92 of 440
Hello,
I  had leatherette pads for Sennheiser 360 Pro and after a few months the "leatherette" finish flaked off slowly and I often went out of the house with black specks on my ears.Here is the question for you : having taken off the leatherette pads and not knowing (then) that there are substitute pads, I took a 1/2 inch heavy building foam and made very nice and comfy earpads.
Would thick foam  smother the audio ?
Thank You

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #93 of 440
Hello,
I  had leatherette pads for Sennheiser 360 Pro and after a few months the "leatherette" finish flaked off slowly and I often went out of the house with black specks on my ears.Here is the question for you : having taken off the leatherette pads and not knowing (then) that there are substitute pads, I took a 1/2 inch heavy building foam and made very nice and comfy earpads.
Would thick foam  smother the audio ?
Thank You

I would not advocate the use of any homemade ear pads. However, I Googled building foam, and am unsure if you mean foam used in construction, or for crafts. However, both appear to be a fairly thin, and harder/firmer foam, that I assume will reflect the bass more, and may cause cross frequency issues, or standing waves inside each ear piece.

If the foam is too squishy, and not firm enough, but is dense, it will absorb too much of the highs and lows, and result in muffled sound, or distorted mids as you overdrive it to correctly hear the lows, and highs.

If it is not dense enough, and would appear to be transparent to the music (similar to the transparent audio cloth that covers speakers), you will have tons of sound loss/leakage, and bass will be lost.

Ear pads are similar to a speakers cabinet, and in a quality set of headphones, the OEM pad will almost always deliver better overall tone than aftermarket replacement style. Speakers are a crazy weird, and complex science and every little change affects a ton of other things.

But, ultimately if it fulfills your need, then that's all that matters. :)

Hope this helps.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #94 of 440
THANKS ! It IS foam from building construction used to hold in the heat and .......muffle sound!
deadhorse.gif
triportsad.gif

I now understand what you meant in basic.
I already ordered a velour ear pad since I'm giving the headphones to my son.
Thank You for going into detail in your answer, it was a lot of help also for the future.
Am getting Sennheiser RS 195, I hate the cords.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #95 of 440
Anything new on RS 195?  
I do have slight hearing problems probably from blasting music in the 1960-70's and falling bombs during the army.
I wonder why it being the top of the Sennheiser wireless along with RS220 why it isn't being mentioned.  
Someone has to persuade those of us to spend a lot more $$ over the RS185.
Is there a point in getting the RS220 instead?
I listen often to movies but also good music.
Thanks

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #96 of 440
Anything new on RS 195?  
I do have slight hearing problems probably from blasting music in the 1960-70's and falling bombs during the army.
I wonder why it being the top of the Sennheiser wireless along with RS220 why it isn't being mentioned.  
Someone has to persuade those of us to spend a lot more $$ over the RS185.
Is there a point in getting the RS220 instead?
I listen often to movies but also good music.
Thanks

I've never tried the 195s, but I know I got a pair of refurb 175s, and a spare 185 for under what the rs 195, or 185 would cost...I'd extensively research the 195, because it is a sizeable increase in price, and you're paying for about 6 EQ presets...it's all software in the dsp handling it, which is why you need the rs 195 base to create those effects. I do not believe they are handled by the headphones themselves. (The headphones receive the signal with the EQ modification already in place).

It is my opinion that open back headphones, (the 185) typically sound more natural than closed back style (such as the 175). I just glanced the specs between the 195, 185, and 175, and they're all very similar... You might be able to achieve more tailored changes in EQ using a headphone amp like the Astro Mixamp Pro, which has the same Dolby decoder as the Turtle Beach DSS, but also offers some EQ presets as well.

The RS 220 is discontinued, and was sold outside of the US, I believe. It was also an open back design, like the 185.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #97 of 440
Thanks again.
Unless I am wrong a headphone amp is useless on a wireless model.
I have the Asus Xonar 7 which was alright for a corded Sennheiser and I asked on this forum if it will help any wireless.  Many said "no".
I wish it did, then I wouldn't have to shell out the extra cash for the RS 195.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #98 of 440
Thanks again.
Unless I am wrong a headphone amp is useless on a wireless model.
I have the Asus Xonar 7 which was alright for a corded Sennheiser and I asked on this forum if it will help any wireless.  Many said "no".
I wish it did, then I wouldn't have to shell out the extra cash for the RS 195.

A headphone amp will entirely work. The wireless portion of the connection is just like a wireless cable connecting the headphone to the base. It's sending the signal to the phones. So, you would have your music source, then a headphone amp, then, the headphone base, into your ears.

The thing is, that particular model won't be very good for this application as you really want to start with optical inputs, if you can. Optical is higher resolution, and can support up to 5.1 channels of audio, such as Dolby Digital II. If you use analog (mini jack) you will always have 2 channels, and they won't be as clear as optical. So, to the 195s advantage you could connect sources straight into the optical in, and use their eq changes. Which probably sounds very good.

But, you could mix and match, and use a headphone amp with an optical in, such as some of the other creative USB sound cards, and run that with a 175, or 185.

Out of curiosity, does that card work without a PC? I've been looking into some of the newer Creative External cards, and can't tell if the pc just supplies power (and I could use a USB power supply to power it). Or if the pc is required only to make configuration changes, and once setup, it can run independently. Or if a PC is required all the time just to run it...

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #99 of 440
Was planning and saving to buy the Sennheiser RS 195.  I do have an Asus Xonar 7 amp but understood that any amp will not effect Sennheiser wireless.
The answer is that the wireless has it's own amp????
Is that true?

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #100 of 440
The DSS doesn't do EQ changes, but it does do Dolby and can be found used in crazy good condition for $13 on amazon. Right now, I'm watching Ellie Goulding in concert on Palladia (which, if you can get it... It's awesome 24 hours of concerts, and music).... And I'm rocking this on the 185s in Dolby Pro Logic, and I swear I should have a noise complaint. It sounds like I've got my big system playing at a good clip.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #101 of 440
Where have you been hiding?
Your answers have  been much more informative than anything I found on google search for the Sennhieser RS 195 etc.
About the Asus Xonar 7 I am not happy with it.
I did use it with my pc since i don't own a receiver but the software messed up my sound capabilities and I tried with no luck to  reinstall it spending many hours searching the internet with no help.  Many people found this to be a problem and Asus gives NO support.
I am going to try (again) soon with the acompaning software disc.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #102 of 440
Yah, all of the wireless models have their own amp. Even the last gen of rs 170,180. They have to have an amplifier of their own to produce a signal to send to the headphones.

But an amplifier only outputs the signal that is inputted, but increased.

So, if you were to use a headphone amp to alter the signal, that adjusted headphone amplified signal, would go into the sennheiser base amp, and travel to your ears intact.

It is when you use the effects on the base (which are software presets in the DSP), that you may get crappy sound. And that is because your headphone amp would be coloring the tone of the music, and so would the sennheiser base, so some frequencies could be muffled, or distorted.

So, you can use a headphone amp, but you need to be careful of using too many processing effects and messing up the tone.

You also have to be careful (really in general of all sources, not just headphone amps) of the output level of the source. Too much gain (volume) will cause distortion, but worse overdrive the internal amp of the Sennhiser and cause it to burn out prematurely. Using appropriate, good sounding levels, that don't clip and distort will be fine. It's common sense. But it's the same of you were connecting a radio, or a TV, and turning it to max volume into the poor little Sennhiser amp and overloading it. Obviously, that would be bad, so don't do that with a headphone amp either. :)

But, yep you could use a headphone amp. Chances are, it would output analog though, so it would plug into the minijack in of the rs base.

I'd recommend rounding up all of your optical outs on your sources, running them to an optical switch, running that switch to a headphone amp, and the amp into the sennheiser rs base.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #103 of 440
https://www.asus.com/Sound/Xonar_U7/

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/240332-49-asus-xonar-software-driver-problems

https://www.google.co.il/webhp?hl=en&tab=vv&ei=FfPDVMDkOYjZap2-gjg&ved=0CBIQ1S4#newwindow=1&hl=en&q=problem+reinstalling+asus+xonar+u7+software

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #104 of 440

Yah, that does look complicated... I wish I could help but I'm not experienced with those cards...chances are if you're already unhappy with it, $55 on amazon will get a new one. That's what I think I saw them going for aboutish...

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #105 of 440
Uhhhh, I just ordered a new Sennheiser RS 195, I hope the  sync -off will not be that bad.  
Will that happen on YouTube?
I only listen or view on YouTube, have no tv.
Here in Israel its   ordered (probably from Germany) and cost with our massive taxes :
2100 Israeli New Sheqel equals :
$557.87  ,   I saw in the USA it's mostly $500.00.

It's a product shipped to israel and  including V.A.T. and other taxes  as well as local shipping to the house.

a good price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back