(Sennheiser related...) Is it wrong of me...
Jul 2, 2011 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

gelocks

Headphoneus Supremus
that I would like to buy some Sennheiser's HD598 just because I like how
they look?!?
biggrin.gif

I mean, I just bought some Shure's SRH940s so it's not like I NEED a new pair of cans
but man oh man do I love those colors...

Read a bit about the sound characteristics, read comments about how it would be better
to get the HD650, read about how well (or not) they would pair with amps but most of that
is in the back of my head... I just want to have them at home...

Have any of you bought cans just because of their looks?!?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm actually thinking hard about NOT getting them... I have spent too much this past month
on "gear" (940s, cheap LP player, Nuforce Icon HDP, coaxial cable, extra cables for my monitors,
etc.) ... should I stop thinking about looks and just get another pair with different trademark sound
from the Shures? (I own the 440 and 940). Should I just break my credit cards?!?
And If I go Senns, should I buy instead the 650s? ... dammit, want those colors!!!! lol

Jul 2, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 37
People do that all the time with Beats and Monster products.. So I guess it's not entirely a sin. :D

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 37
Well, thats one way to shop for headphones...

A good compromise is to just buy the HD600's which are still very good and they're based off the once top tier 580's *COUGH COUGH I HAVE THEM* and I really like them?

They'll pair up really nicely with your gear and you'll get a really nice contrast from your Shure cans. I'm running recabled ones through an iBasso D3 I bought a long time ago and I don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon.

I really enjoy the build quality of the higher end Sennheisers. They could use exotic materials but that would make them cater to certain tastes and heavy and maybe even gaudy, I like what they did with the HD6xx line.

Another route is to go K701 and enjoy the journey of shopping for amplification for years to come. I have no idea why AKG don't straight up just tell you what amp to buy or sell one themselves.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 37
Having auditioned both I agree with Chris_Himself that for the difference in price, the 600s really are worth it, they are definitely on a whole 'nother level compared to the 598s.
The 600/650s are both great, I prefer the 650s, but enough people prefer the 600s and both sides have enough valid arguments that I'd say it's about a wash and comes down to personal preference.
If it's your wallet you're worried about, get the 555s and mod them into 595s! (http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/)
Aesthetically I must concede, the 598s are much more striking than the rest of the senn line. The 555, 595, and 650 are all very typical grey, and not very exciting. The 600 has a faux marble pattern that I think is just a tad garish, but some people find really classy (and I don't fault them for that, it's a great sounding can, and I would learn to love the look if I had a pair). But honestly if the look is that important to you, do it! Go for the 598s! I want to reiterate that they are not anywhere near the best sound or the best value in the senn line, but if you're willing to prioritize aesthetics over those things, get them. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the senn house sound.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 37
I compared the HD598 at a friend with various Grados, HD800, LCD-2, etc. 100% agree they are not in the same league as the $1,000 plus headphones. BUT even the owner of these amazing headphones attested the HD598 a very very good soundquality and signature. He was impressed at the quality (for the price).

So, again, yes they are at least 1 full league below the top-of-the-line models but still amazingly great headphones. Plus they look cool.

I still consider them my best headphones even though I also have more expensive ones, but i just love their sound and even after listening to the $1,000 plus cans I don't feel the "urge" to upgrade (yet)...:)

EDIT: I must admit, I did not listen to the 650/600 unfortunately yet.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 37
Heya,

I have HD580's.

I still want the HD598's. Simply because I love the color.

Nothing wrong with it. 598's are good headphones.

I consider style a lot with headphones. I wear them for hours both at home, but I also wear mine in public daily. I like walking around in my Ultrasone Pro 900's. They're obviously not the headphone you see people wearing. They're so classy and stylish, and sound so good.

I wish all headphones were more stylish frankly. The 598 is a start.

Very best,

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 37
Dammit guys!!
You were supposed to be my friends and should have told me: "Hey Gelocks, naaah, don't buy the cans!!! Why keep spending
money?!?"

:p

I think that I can have a $100-off any of those cans in amazon (gift cards I currently have).
So if I decide on the 598s, they would cost me like $130 bucks which I don't think is bad at all...

Thanks for your comments guys!
Too bad I don't have local store to test these guys out!
But why test any of them when the 598 already look so good anyway!!!
wink_face.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 37
Has anyone thought of buying a pair of fake beats and mod them with some better drivers? Would this be possible / doable?

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
Has anyone thought of buying a pair of fake beats and mod them with some better drivers? Would this be possible / doable?

Mother of God, what is wrong with you people? Are you music enthusiasts or fashion slaves?

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 37

Quote:

Mother of God, what is wrong with you people? Are you music enthusiasts or fashion slaves?

LOL!!!!!

Can't we be both?!?!!?

etysmile.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 37
If the fake beats had 40mm drivers, they might be good candidates for an SFI ortho transplant.

Just sayin'

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 37
I have a pair of fake beats (yes they have 40mm drivers), I was thinking more along the lines of a MDR-V6 transplant, , the Sony cans are just headphones, that and I'm pretty sure I can purchase the drivers separate so I don't have to kill a pair of V6's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back